Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #76
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

Default Re: Kyrie Irving is unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Here are Kyrie's full highlights in HD from last night's game.

33 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 blocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QG94c-oY00

Thanks for posting that. I am still so pissed I missed this game!
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #77
LoneyROY7
The Babe Ruth of ISH

Kyrie has such a sexy game. Everything is just so smooth.

This may seem like a strange comparison, but his playing style is a bit like a young T-Mac at the PG position.
LoneyROY7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #78
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneyROY7

This may seem like a strange comparison, but his playing style is a bit like a young T-Mac at the PG position.
Interesting comparison... And I can definitely see what you're saying.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #79
pnyozzzoo
Great young streetballer

Quote:
A. The first point... This front office was brought in after James was already gone, so that makes the point completely moot. That is unless you are blaming Chris Grant for things Danny Ferry did.

B. Gilbert is easily one of the best owners in the league. There are not too many guys willing to open up their wallet in the way he has over the years. The only reason Kyrie is here in the first place is because he was unafraid to spend $15 million on the chance to hit the lottery.

C. And, your last point bleeds into the B section. Kyrie Irving wouldn't be in Cleveland in the first place if it weren't for one of the single best front office moves in recent memory. Remember, the Cavs didn't take him with their own pick. They put together a very savvy trade and essentially got Kyrie Irving for Mo Williams and the right to pay off Baron Davis' contract. Where does that rank on your "terrible front office" list?

Furthermore, they've loaded up the team with other young talent. The Cavs have the youngest composite roster in the entire league and four of the team's best six players are either first or second year players (Irving, Thompson, Waiters, Zeller).

The fact that you blame this front office for things that happened four years ago shows how little you know.

Can anyone please explain B. and C. I have no clue what he is talking about?
pnyozzzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #80
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneyROY7

Holy crap you're right about that comparison! Wow.
KungFuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #81
LoneyROY7
The Babe Ruth of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
Holy crap you're right about that comparison! Wow.

Yup, it hit me in the middle of that highlight clip.

The smooth mid-range pull-ups, the quick trigger on the 3-ball, the isolation drives...all very reminiscent of T-Mac.
LoneyROY7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #82
SilkkTheShocker
LeBron = G.O.A.T.

Where is NuggetsFan to tell us how Wall is still better?
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #83
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyozzzoo
Can anyone please explain B. and C. I have no clue what he is talking about?
Let me break it down very simply...

The Cavs did not draft Kyrie Irving with their own pick. The Cavs actually received the No. 4 overall pick in the draft that year (ended up being Tristan Thompson).

The No. 1 pick in 2011 was won by the LA Clippers. Fortunately, Grant and Gilbert made a deal during the season that sent Mo Williams and Jamario Moon to LA and Baron Davis (with his bloated contract) to Cleveland... And it gave the Cavs the right to the Clippers' first round draft pick with no protections.

It was that trade which ultimately brought Kyrie Irving to Cleveland, not being a bad team that just got lucky in the lottery. In retrospect, it was one of the best front office moves in recent history. Essentially, the Cavs got Kyrie Irving for Mo Williams, Jamario Moon and the money it took to pay Baron's contract for a season (he was amnestied in 2011-12).

ESPN: Baron Davis, draft pick traded for Williams, Moon

So, it is ironic that this person is attempting to discredit the front office in relation to Kyrie Irving, because it was only a brilliant move by the Cavs' front office that brought him here in the first place.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #84
pnyozzzoo
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Let me break it down very simply...

The Cavs did not draft Kyrie Irving with their own pick. The Cavs actually received the No. 4 overall pick in the draft that year (ended up being Tristan Thompson).

The No. 1 pick in 2011 was won by the LA Clippers. Fortunately, Grant and Gilbert made a deal during the season that sent Mo Williams and Jamario Moon to LA and Baron Davis (with his bloated contract) to Cleveland... And it gave the Cavs the right to the Clippers' first round draft pick with no protections.

It was that trade which ultimately brought Kyrie Irving to Cleveland, not being a bad team that just got lucky in the lottery. In retrospect, it was one of the best front office moves in recent history. Essentially, the Cavs got Kyrie Irving for Mo Williams, Jamario Moon and the money it took to pay Baron's contract for a season (he was amnestied in 2011-12).

ESPN: Baron Davis, draft pick traded for Williams, Moon

So, it is ironic that this person is attempting to discredit the front office in relation to Kyrie Irving, because it was only a brilliant move by the Cavs' front office that brought him here in the first place.
Oh cool, coz I remembered D.Gilbert's son won the first pick there. Then how did you know the Clipper ball was Irving and Cav ball was Thompson. They were both announced as Cav. ball atm. Did they actually showed which is which, I did not pay attention then.
pnyozzzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #85
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyozzzoo
Oh cool, coz I remembered D.Gilbert's son won the first pick there. Then how did you know the Clipper ball was Irving and Cav ball was Thompson. They were both announced as Cav. ball atm. Did they actually showed which is which, I did not pay attention then.
No, they were both shown as picks being owned by the Cavs. The deal went down in the middle of the season, so by the time of the lottery, the league was well aware that both picks were owned by Cleveland. But, the pick that won the Irving lottery came from the Clippers. The pick the Cavs received for having the second worst record in the league ended up being Tristan Thompson.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #86
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Where is NuggetsFan to tell us how Wall is still better?

I've fully admitted I was wrong about Irving since day 1. I didn't think he'd be that good, proved me wrong in his rookie season. I said John Wall has more potential and what he had done in his rookie season got overlooked because of Blake Griffin.

Wall has def disappointed me. I think he's also been in the worst situation imaginable for a PG in Washington, like literally couldn't think of a worse spot to be. Just compare how Byron Scott has developed Irving opposed to what's been happening so far in Washington in Walls time there.

I still think it's 100% possible that 5 years from now Wall could be the better player. Irving is extremely polished on the offensive side of the ball. His shot, getting to the basket. Wall is more athletic and far more raw and has something to his game Irving lacks and I don't think you can learn which is the ability to set the table for teammates. I think John Wall is the most legit potential 20 10 threat PG to come into the league since CP3. Wall's physical tools + his PG instincts make his potential off the charts in pretty much every aspect of the game, it just hasn't happened and like any players potential the full possibility it could never happen. It's why it's called potential. My problem is I used Rose with Wall. Both came in with no jumper and Wall actually shot the ball better than Rose in his rookie season but unlike Rose he never got better, he actually regressed in his 2nd season.

I will eat crow whenever about Irving. Not with Wall yet tho. He's only played 2 seasons, tons of guy's slump in their sophomore year. As a rookie I don't think Kyrie was 100% better than John Wall, I think you could make an argument for whoever. Obviously now what Irving is doing is better than anything Wall has done up to this point and is clearly the superior player without question. If that's the case 2-5 years from now, I'll eat crow than too.

Thread shouldn't be about Wall vs Irving tho, don't want to derail it. Should be about how incredible Kyrie has been this season, Wall hasn't even played.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #87
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Besides a total lack of effort on defense, I LOVE watching this kid play.

Cleveland got another franchise player on their hands. Good for them after what they had to go through the past couple seasons.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #88
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
Besides a total lack of effort on defense, I LOVE watching this kid play.

Cleveland got another franchise player on their hands. Good for them after what they had to go through the past couple seasons.
His defense has actually improved. I didn't think it was notably horrendous tonight. I'm not saying he was great on the defensive end, but he was pretty clearly trying. Three of his four steals were not playing the passing lanes, but picking pockets.

He's getting better on that end, but still has a ways to go.

My biggest problem with his last few games are the turnovers. He needs to be less careless with the ball... And he can tend to over-dribble at times.

Hard to complain too much when a guy puts up 30 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds and 4 steals, though.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #89
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Quote:
Hard to complain too much when a guy puts up 30 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds and 4 steals, though.
I'm speaking in generalities, but his defensive effort still isn't very admirable, and needs to be worked on.

Sometimes he makes me regret getting so made at D. Rose first few seasons as a defender.

I'd also like to see him bump those assist numbers up. He gets in the lane with such ease, he should be creating more opportunities for others.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #90
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
I'm speaking in generalities, but his defensive effort still isn't very admirable, and needs to be worked on.

Sometimes he makes me regret getting so made at D. Rose first few seasons as a defender.

I'd also like to see him bump those assist numbers up. He gets in the lane with such ease, he should be creating more opportunities for others.
That's why I laugh when people say things like he won't improve much going forward and he has reached his ceiling. As good as Kyrie is right now, there is still a ton of room for improvement on his game... Specifically defensively and as a playmaker.

Defense is usually the toughest transition for a young, talented offensive player in the NBA. I remember when LeBron James was laughably bad on that end. He would embarrass himself a couple times a night before the gradual improvement began.

I don't think Kyrie will ever be an elite defensive player, but I do think he understands it is a weakness in his game and he will eventually be a solid defender. It just takes time. I've seen countless instances in young players, especially 18-19 year old guys stepping into the league.

As to his playmaking, he is a very willing passer and shows flashes of growth in that part of his game. It just isn't consistent yet.

But, again... Guy is 20. His game shouldn't be completely refined at this stage.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: