Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Ray Lewis retired

Meh, one of the more overrated defensive players I've seen. Great player and all, but got way more praise than he should have.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Meh, one of the more overrated defensive players I've seen. Great player and all, but got way more praise than he should have.

If he was the middle linebacker of the Redskins for 17 years you would be singing a different tune.

Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nah, I'm not a PT type homer. I just don't buy into the media overhype BS like many people do. Dude was surrounded by all kinds of talent and yet people BS and seemingly give him all the credit, which is just crazy.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

tpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
HOF level dude. Teams feared him. They still do. Someone once told me he stabbed a nehga in a night club, and got off the charges, but I don't even know all about that. Not my business. What is my business is how well I analyze and talk about the game of NFL. On the field Ray Ray is a beast beast. All that matter.
I remember hearing his buddies were on camera buying big ass hunting knives from a sporting store.. Ray and his crew beat the shit out of a couple guys and gutted them with massive blades. He's probably the biggest hypocrite in all of sports with his wanna be pastor speaking and supposed closeness to God. Ray Lewis is the definition of a thug.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Hands of Iron
[ Sickplicity 33 ]

Hands of Iron has a terrific reputationHands of Iron has a terrific reputationHands of Iron has a terrific reputationHands of Iron has a terrific reputationHands of Iron has a terrific reputation

There wasn't a single, solitary thing overrated about Ray Lewis in his prime. Even to be very good over the last several years is an achievement at his advanced age and mileage. Most are retired or completely washed out. He was never quite the same player after he tore his hamstring up.
Hands of Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
Hands of Iron
[ Sickplicity 33 ]

Hands of Iron has a terrific reputationHands of Iron has a terrific reputationHands of Iron has a terrific reputationHands of Iron has a terrific reputationHands of Iron has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Nah, I'm not a PT type homer. I just don't buy into the media overhype BS like many people do. Dude was surrounded by all kinds of talent and yet people BS and seemingly give him all the credit, which is just crazy.

Reed, Suggs and Ngata haven't get their props in recent years? When people talk about ATG defenses, it is the 2000 Ravens, not the 2000 Ray Lewises. He was simply flat out and by far the best player and leader of that team. Being surrounded by talent really doesn't have much to do with his ability to shed blocks like snake skin or play sideline-to-sideline at a level of skill and athleticism never previously seen at the position, equally adept at run stuffing and pass coverage. He was as complete as it gets and independently great.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
Jackass18
The Iron Price

It's that type of nonsense that leads me to call him overrated. That defense was stacked, but many of the players on it never get much credit. Lewis gets most of the credit and that goes for ever year. He didn't have to take on a lot of blocks because he had a nice DL ahead of him. By far the best player on the team? Nonsensical bullshit. At a level of skill never seen before? More bullshit. People always gave him more praise than he should get, and I think it's a bit of a shame that some of his teammates are/will get forgotten.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
I remember hearing his buddies were on camera buying big ass hunting knives from a sporting store.. Ray and his crew beat the shit out of a couple guys and gutted them with massive blades. He's probably the biggest hypocrite in all of sports with his wanna be pastor speaking and supposed closeness to God. Ray Lewis is the definition of a thug.

I was looking for white text and missed it. First how do you know Ray Lewis killed those guys? Because he is a big intimidating prescence? Famous face? No way Ray Lewis surrounded himself with bad people like some celebs do. Alot of drama starts up with your entourage, the people who are behind you. If you roll with thugs then chances are bad things will happen. But you totally ignore that possibility that the guys Ray Lewis hung around werent actual thugs. What Ray did wrong was lied to protect his "friends". He no longer associates with those kind of friends and cleaned up his circle. Yet you still hold onto Ray the murderer as if the guys he killed were your brothers? Quick question do you even know who the guys that died were? Good guys? Bad guys?

People changing their ways, lifestyle and turning their life around for the good gets knocked by you? How the f*ck do you claim Ray is a hypocrite when you cant cite anything besides that 1 incident in his life? So since that incident Ray must remain a thug because anything else is him being a big ole hypocrite. You make no sense whatsoever. Think on that. In your mind Ray is a thug because of 1 incident and no matter what he has done since then (nothing but positive things) its not good for you. Since when did you become Judge tpols? No one can make mistakes and learn from them to be a better person going forward? Ray is 37yrs old. That incident happened when he was 25. 12 years ago. Impossible for a human to change his/her life from bad to good.

Really judgmental over a guy who does more good than you have in life. You cant say he doesnt practice what he preaches because you still hold onto that one night where you just decided Ray Lewis killed 2 guys with a knife.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
Hands of Iron
[ Sickplicity 33 ]

Quote:
It's that type of nonsense that leads me to call him overrated. That defense was stacked, but many of the players on it never get much credit. Lewis gets most of the credit and that goes for ever year. He didn't have to take on a lot of blocks because he had a nice DL ahead of him. By far the best player on the team? Nonsensical bullshit. At a level of skill never seen before? More bullshit. People always gave him more praise than he should get, and I think it's a bit of a shame that some of his teammates are/will get forgotten.

To who, people that don't follow football? Who gives a shit? And which players? They couldn't mention Rod Woodson enough that season, Reed and Suggs have both won DPOY awards playing next to him, Ngata has been considered for several years amongst the best linemen in football, the Ravens inducted both Peter Boulware and Michael McCrary into their Ring of Honor. Lewis is hardly the only guy to have good teammates around him. Lambert, Lanier, Nitschke, Singletary, Schmidt all had just as, if not more help. Way more in some cases, so considering they don't really even approach Lewis on film and couldn't play in the league today, the '**** does that make them?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron
To who, people that don't follow football? Who gives a shit? And which players? They couldn't mention Rod Woodson enough that season, Reed and Suggs have both won DPOY awards playing next to him, Ngata has been considered for several years amongst the best linemen in football, the Ravens inducted both Peter Boulware and Michael McCrary into their Ring of Honor. Lewis is hardly the only guy to have good teammates around him. Lambert, Lanier, Nitschke, Singletary, Schmidt all had just as, if not more help. Way more in some cases, so considering they don't really even approach Lewis on film and couldn't play in the league today, the '**** does that make them?

Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:

More BS. Way more in some cases? Maybe only the Steelers were as stacked. Don't approach Lewis on film and couldn't play in the league today? Whatever, I see you're one of those guys who's far too much in love with what you grew up watching and thinks that nothing outside compares and doesn't realize the difference of playing in different eras.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
Hands of Iron
[ Sickplicity 33 ]

Quote:
More BS. Way more in some cases? Maybe only the Steelers were as stacked. Don't approach Lewis on film and couldn't play in the league today? Whatever, I see you're one of those guys who's far too much in love with what you grew up watching and thinks that nothing outside compares and doesn't realize the difference of playing in different eras.

Not really, and I'd probably recant that comment on Singletary in particular. My favorite players of all-time are primarily from the 1980s-90s. I just don't consider Lewis overrated. I'd compromise with you and say he hasn't been at that 'All-Time Great' level of play since 2006 (which is a pretty hefty one IMO) give or take a year here or there where he played lights out. Seven AP 1st Team selections in a 17-year career doesn't really reek of favortism or bias towards him. That's tough status to attain and I'd say he earned them. As far as 'help' is concerned, here's the average number of Pro Bowl defensive teammates these guys had per year (as looked at by the PFR blog):

5.00 - Jack Lambert
4.06 - Willie Lanier
3.38 - Ray Nitschke
3.38 - Joe Schmidt
2.75 - Mike Singletary
2.75 - Ray Lewis
2.25 - Zach Thomas
1.94 - Brian Urlacher
1.00 - Dick Butkus
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #28
ROCSteady
#BeatDemBoyz HTTR

ROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Yea it's so impressive to be in the Ring of Fame for an organization that has had like 15 years give or take to build a somewhat contrived legacy . Especially considering, that team was the only Ravens team to taste REAL playoff success.

Anyways, I'm really grateful I've gotten to watch all time greats like Ray amd Ed Reed Sunday after Sunday when my team couldn't provide a quality product BUT..

I'm kinda relieved to see him and his phony Man of God routine to be gone. You're such a man of God that your next job gunna mos likely be for BSPN

Way to change the world Ray Ray . Please.

Amazing player, transcendental leader, too much bullshit as a man for my taste.

Congrats on a First Ballot HOF career tho, you repped Baltimore well
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #29
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Not really, and I'd probably recant that comment on Singletary in particular. My favorite players of all-time are primarily from the 1980s-90s. I just don't consider Lewis overrated. I'd compromise with you and say he hasn't been at that 'All-Time Great' level of play since 2006 (which is a pretty hefty one IMO) give or take a year here or there where he played lights out. Seven AP 1st Team selections in a 17-year career doesn't really reek of favortism or bias towards him. That's tough status to attain and I'd say he earned them. As far as 'help' is concerned, here's the average number of Pro Bowl defensive teammates these guys had per year (as looked at by the PFR blog):

5.00 - Jack Lambert
4.06 - Willie Lanier
3.38 - Ray Nitschke
3.38 - Joe Schmidt
2.75 - Mike Singletary
2.75 - Ray Lewis
2.25 - Zach Thomas
1.94 - Brian Urlacher
1.00 - Dick Butkus

Pro Bowls aren't the best way to do it. Hell, Nitschke himself only went to 1. Some guys get in due to rep and some I guess just aren't popular enough. I know some of the other guys played with talent around them, too, but do you ever really hear anyone talk about Lanier or Schmidt?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patri...ers_all_ time
Rated him #3 for middle LBs

Ray Lewis is ranked in the 200s at pro football reference (that includes all players)

I know he was a great player, I just don't think he's at the top.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The problem in ratings (and also in the Lewis incident which it feels like some people are commenting on like they remember it better than they do) is people immediately discount older players because they didn't see them (the amount of people on this board who talk like they watched players play but clearly are too young to do so is baffling, so full of shit), they rely on stats which (especially on defense) don't mean as much and have got skewed since the league got pass happy, and act like if player X played today he wouldn't done the same drugs, got the same people helping him work out, etc.

A clear fact though (fact although i'm sure some turd will find a way to argue it) is he is easily top 5 defensive player of his generation, and probably the best linebacker of his generation without much argument. Although i'm sure someone can find some cute argument that some marginal players was as good with some singular stat.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: