Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

Default Any chance at Dirk?

The Mavericks show no signs of beating good teams and are definitely not a championship team. They possibly will miss the playoffs as well. In that situation Mark Cuban might blow everything up. I was fantasizing about getting Dirk at the 4. Although he's old, he seems like one of the top trade candidates for trade deadline or end of the year.

An offer of Hump, Brooks, 3 first rounders, Mirza, and cash for Dirk and Vince?

Imagine

Deron
Joe
Gerald
Dirk
Brook

Possible or am I crazy to believe in this?
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Default Re: Any chance at Dirk?

I would love it but its a pipe dream. I would love Vince to come back to the Nets. Did you see his dunks today? Still got some hops!
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

VC maybe, Dirk is difficult if not impossible. I dont even think he wants to be traded to the Nets, since he has no-trade clause well...
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
gigantes
A piece of fluff

when prokhy said "i will fix this" yesterday, i started to think about whether the team had any real flexibility going forward. of the five starters with their killer contracts:

lopez- good solid value for contract. worth keeping, but also should be attractive to other teams if necessary.

wallace- about the same.

d-will- enormous contract, but if he keeps underperforming, worst comes to worst the nets should probably be able to move him for something based on his former reputation. maybe in the summer.

hump- silly contract, but at least he'll be an expirer before too long.

johnson- absolutely, totally dreadful contract, but that's what the amnesty clause is for. and prokhy is one guy who can afford it.

so all in all, assuming things only get a little better under PJ and the nets crash out in the first round or something, there's still pretty decent flexibility to attract a phil jackson and let him rearrange things as he pleases.

biggest problem with dirk is that cuban is extremely loyal and grateful to him. i seriously doubt we'd be able to pry even an aging dirk away without giving up ridiculous assets.

Last edited by gigantes : 01-05-2013 at 10:46 PM.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
when prokhy said "i will fix this" yesterday, i started to think about whether the team had any real flexibility going forward. of the five starters with their killer contracts:

lopez- good solid value for contract. worth keeping, but also should be attractive to other teams if necessary.

wallace- about the same.

d-will- enormous contract, but if he keeps underperforming, worst comes to worst the nets should probably be able to move him for something based on his former reputation. maybe in the summer.

hump- silly contract, but at least he'll be an expirer before too long.

johnson- absolutely, totally dreadful contract, but that's what the amnesty clause is for. and prokhy is one guy who can afford it.

so all in all, assuming things only get a little better under PJ and the nets crash out in the first round or something, there's still pretty decent flexibility to attract a phil jackson and let him rearrange things as he pleases.

biggest problem with dirk is that cuban is extremely loyal and grateful to him. i seriously doubt we'd be able to pry even an aging dirk away without giving up ridiculous assets.
nets can't use amnesty clause on joe. we already used it on outlaw. every team only had one amnesty after CBA was finalized. we get a new one in the new cba probably. Gerald's contract is probably the worst. He can't shoot nor put the ball in the basket and his defense is overrated. We're paying him 10 million a year to hustle for us. No team was interested before the season for him and no team will ever be with his 40 million contract.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
gigantes
A piece of fluff

ah, shit... when i checked the amnesty clause a few weeks ago, i read it as "one every summer," not ONCE from 11-12 to 15-16. damnnnnn...... we truly are screwed with johnson's contract, then. where's isiah thomas when you need him??

re: wallace,
i think you're being a little harsh on him. he's an adequate shooter / scorer at his position, and clearly worked on his 3-ball and shooting form before this season. true, at four years for $40mil his contract is too much, but that pretty much pales in comparison to the others.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
alwaysunny
in Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
ah, shit... when i checked the amnesty clause a few weeks ago, i read it as "one every summer," not ONCE from 11-12 to 15-16. damnnnnn...... we truly are screwed with johnson's contract, then. where's isiah thomas when you need him??

re: wallace,
i think you're being a little harsh on him. he's an adequate shooter / scorer at his position, and clearly worked on his 3-ball and shooting form before this season. true, at four years for $40mil his contract is too much, but that pretty much pales in comparison to the others.

Amnesty on Joe? lol are you serious? You don't use amnesty clause just to get rid of a player and clear cap space. Joe is good player who is a valuable piece to the team. There is no chance in hell Prok throws his money away like that regardless of what happens in the scenario. Even if he were to lure Phil Jackson it's not like you gain a trade asset in the process, so how would they acquire the right pieces aside from free agent signings?
alwaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
gigantes
A piece of fluff

sunny, that's PRECISELY what most teams used the amnesty clause for-- to get rid of a big, long contract that was killing a team's flexibility.

didn't you know that the whole point of getting johnson was to persuade williams to stay? no team that wants to get anywhere pays that kind of money for a borderline star heading in to his mid-30's. it just kills too many other options. teams want big expirers or bargain deals, not nightmare contracts where you lock up above-average players for $20mil/yr over six years (originally). not even the superfriends make that much money, which is a big reason why they're able to have so many other good players on that team.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
alwaysunny
in Brooklyn

Yeah well that's the complication of relocating to a place that already had an established fanbase. Brooklyn can't afford to start mediocre with a 'future' mentality. If we did we would lose a lot of fans to the Knicks, hence why we're one of few teams who are better off being relevant but with very slim chance at championship than being a bottom team in a rebuilding process.

Even if we had one to use, and let's say we do use it on Joe, what then? We still have inflated contracts left. Can you make a realistic trade scenario that would make us better than we are now?
alwaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
gigantes
A piece of fluff

the absolute smartest thing to do a couple years back was to take our enormous stock of good draft picks and cap room and SPEND IT WISELY, not to get caught up in the wild carmelo chase or to try to outcompete the knicks via the deron williams coup.

getting williams and then adding the wallace and johnson contracts to entice him to stay (and to an extent, the lopez and hump deals), is face-palm territory that locks us in to being a decent team but never a contender for many years. why would any serious fan want that?

but i'm a nets fan, so whatever. i'll live with the terrible moves and try to make the best of it. standard territory, you know.

but if phil jackson is persuaded to come to the franchise, he gets to do whatever he wants to. he just does. if he wants prokhy to eat major contracts (without even reducing the cap) simply to get different bodies in the starting lineup, then that's what you do. end of story. period. it's going to be up to him.

it doesn't matter what realistic or unrealistic scenerios you and i can imagine right now. if phil jackson joins the team, then his every word is instantly plated in gold.

PJC is a solid coach, but the current team under PJC is never going anywhere that matters. i'm cool with that, but i'm not sure how many nets fans are at this point. whenever i think that other nets fans are cool with reality and cool with appreciating the small things in life, they always prove me wrong.

prokhy brought all of this on himself by pushing way too hard for a championship by 2015, or whatever it was. phil jackson is just the last-gasp move to try to salvage the situation.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Well Id say its a bit too early to call this season a complete failure at this point. I will at least wait till all-star weekend to make a full judgment.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Well Id say its a bit too early to call this season a complete failure at this point. I will at least wait till all-star weekend to make a full judgment.
Wait until the end of the playoffs to make the decision.
If we can't get past the first round this season would be an utter failure.
Getting to the second round would just spell Atlanta Hawks 2.0 and appease some fans.
Getting to the ECF would be terrific and appease most fans.

I don't know about you guys but I'm loving the Nets. These last few games they are riding very high on confidence. MarShon is very, very confident and Mirza is gaining a lot of confidence too. The Nets are regaining the confidence that they can beat any team. They need to improve defensively and not shoot so many threes in the second half.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
gigantes
A piece of fluff

sounds great. i'll probably start watching the full games again instead of just a quarter or two.

i don't mind the team not being a championship team, but the way they were just falling apart for awhile was too painful to watch.

with this payroll, they do not have the luxury anymore of playing like crap and then asking fans to call it a learning experience or whatever. that excuse went right out the window this summer.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
The Nets
Resident Netsfan

This team has lots of potentials, I wouldnt attempt to make a move at this point unless the return is way too overwhelming. At this point its totally possible for the Nets to climb up to a 3 seed in Eastern Conference.
The Nets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: