Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2013 NFL Draft Discussion

I've heard speculation that NC State QB Mike Glennon might make a run for first/best QB taken this draft. Any opinions on this?
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #17
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Perhaps I'm bias because I want bad things to happen to everybody associated with that university as a whole, but Glennon is a bust waiting to happen.

He wows you with his immense size and cannon arm. That's all good and all, except his pocket presence is meh, he doesn't move his feet well at all, he terrible throwing on the run, that's if he can even get out of the pocket without getting sacked, and he's wildly inaccurate on mid-deep throws with zero touch on the ball.

I'm sure some coach will draft him because of his tools. It's why State let Russell Wilson go... For this guy. But they better let him develop like a mother, and that team better have a fantastic QB coach or he's nothing more than a third stringer with a strong arm.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #18
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Chiefs need to select Barkley and get it done with. If they can get him later that's another story but they can't keep neglecting the QB position in the draft. I think Barkley will emerge as the #1 overall pick and I don't believe he's regressed as the experts believe, it's just the usual case of the All-American QB who should have declared a year earlier to only get hurt and face adversity his next season.. Happens with almost every Heisman candidate QB in there 2nd or 3rd season.

It may be a reach but most of the time when selecting a QB it's exactly that.. Rodgers was a questionable pick at 24, Newton was a reach, Ryan to an extent, Stafford, etc.. You either have a QB or you're constantly looking for one
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #19
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Chiefs need to select Barkley and get it done with. If they can get him later that's another story but they can't keep neglecting the QB position in the draft. I think Barkley will emerge as the #1 overall pick and I don't believe he's regressed as the experts believe, it's just the usual case of the All-American QB who should have declared a year earlier to only get hurt and face adversity his next season.. Happens with almost every Heisman candidate QB in there 2nd or 3rd season.

It may be a reach but most of the time when selecting a QB it's exactly that.. Rodgers was a questionable pick at 24, Newton was a reach, Ryan to an extent, Stafford, etc.. You either have a QB or you're constantly looking for one
Yes the Chiefs need a QB, but this class is so weak that it would be a terrible mistake to take a QB #1 overall who doesn't deserve to be the first pick just for the sake of taking a QB.

Botching a #1 overall pick on a bust of a QB can really set a franchise back. Obviously a lot will change from now until draft day, but at this point if the Chiefs took Barkley it would be a bad mistake, IMO.

If they desire a QB #1, the pick should be Geno Smith. But IMO they should go another direction and try to get a QB in free agency (Alex Smith) and take a developmental QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds (Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, EJ Manuel, Landry Jones, Ryan Nassib).

This draft obviously lacks a franchise QB, but it has a lot of QB's who could potentially start if they develop for a few years. Taking Barkley first would pressure the Chiefs to start him from day one and it wouldn't be pretty. He just doesn't possess elite or even great physical tools.

Last edited by irondarts : 01-02-2013 at 01:02 AM.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #20
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

All the teams need to do that this year imo. I don't know how many veteran QB's are out there that can be gotten but not one QB looks to be worth a 1st round prospect.

I HAD heard Glennon being the top QB but he's a project, just like Smith will be. You would be hard pressed to select someone like that so high.

Someone will reach because that's just how it works but I feel like that GM will be putting his neck right on the block.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Yes the Chiefs need a QB, but this class is so weak that it would be a terrible mistake to take a QB #1 overall who doesn't deserve to be the first pick just for the sake of taking a QB.

Botching a #1 overall pick on a bust of a QB can really set a franchise back. Obviously a lot will change from now until draft day, but at this point if the Chiefs took Barkley it would be a bad mistake, IMO.

If they desire a QB #1, the pick should be Geno Smith. But IMO they should go another direction and try to get a QB in free agency (Alex Smith) and take a developmental QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds (Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, EJ Manuel, Landry Jones, Ryan Nassib).

This draft obviously lacks a franchise QB, but it has a lot of QB's who could potentially start if they develop for a few years. Taking Barkley first would pressure the Chiefs to start him from day one and it wouldn't be pretty. He just doesn't possess elite or even great physical tools.

I think you sell Barkley short as a prospect. He is 6'2....more than adequet, he has a good enough arm, which is all that matters. His best attribute is anticipating and throwing accuracy, which is one of the most important things you can have going for you. He is experienced at the college level. His intangibles/off the field character/leadership/interviews will all be pluses for him.

Barkley's worst case scenario is falling to #7. I think he goes to KC since quarterback is their biggest need and a huge reason why they had the season that they did. They have borderline great talent on the team, the QB play just brought them down immensly.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

A year ago Barkley was considered to be a top prospct and a top 10 pick even with Luck and RG3. I don't think he's fallen but rather he just had an unfortunate season where expectations where to big. His stats alone warrant him of being a 1st round pick. I also see how people make the connections between Leinart and Sanchez, former SC QB's, but I think he's different as he has a much better work ethic than Lienart(****er would just party lol) and he's much more polished than Sanchez who only started one season at USC.

The Chiefs have ALWAYS been grabbing veteran QB's to be their QB and have never developed a QB of their own. I think someone posted here not too long ago that a KC hasn't had they have selected won a game for them since 1983.. Cassell, Quinn, Trent Green(good player), Damon Huard, Elvis Grbac, etc, etc..

I'm not saying select Barkley #1 but draft the best QB in the draft at wherever they can get him. If they can move down to #7 and draft him then so be it.

As for the reaching of QB's, it's always the case. Like I said before Cam, Stafford, Rodgers, Ryan, etc, were all considered "reaches" and all of them turned out to be studs. I don't think Barkley is any different and I think he'll be a good QB in this league.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
All the teams need to do that this year imo. I don't know how many veteran QB's are out there that can be gotten but not one QB looks to be worth a 1st round prospect.

I HAD heard Glennon being the top QB but he's a project, just like Smith will be. You would be hard pressed to select someone like that so high.

Someone will reach because that's just how it works but I feel like that GM will be putting his neck right on the block.

I think there's alot of decent QB options out there veterans or young players. Carson Palmer and Alex Smith are the two best options and I think they both can be very good next season.

Then there's unknown/young QB's like Flynn, Clausen, Cousins, etc, that can be worth a shot.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #24
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Some players declared for the draft today, here they are:

Dion Sims (Michigan State TE)
Joe Kruger (Utah DE)
Mike Edwards (Hawaii CB)
Xavier Rhodes (Florida State CB)

A couple of players who were potential 1st round picks announced they would be returning to college for their senior years, here they are:

Anthony Barr (UCLA OLB)
Jake Matthews (Texas A&M OT)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
Some players declared for the draft today, here they are:

Dion Sims (Michigan State TE)
Joe Kruger (Utah DE)
Mike Edwards (Hawaii CB)
Xavier Rhodes (Florida State CB)

A couple of players who were potential 1st round picks announced they would be returning to college for their senior years, here they are:

Anthony Barr (UCLA OLB)
Jake Matthews (Texas A&M OT)

Not surprised Matthews is staying in school. I would imagine he will move to LT and give scouts a look at what he can do there.

Should be a top 5 pick with another strong year.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
irondarts

A few more players have declared for the 2013 NFL Draft:

Le'Veon Bell (Michigan State RB)
Sharrif Floyd (Florida DT)
Matt Elam (Florida S)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
irondarts

3 more players have reportedly declared for the 2013 NFL Draft:

Bjoern Werner (Florida State DE)
Kevin Minter (LSU ILB)
William Gholston (Michigan State DE)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
A year ago Barkley was considered to be a top prospct and a top 10 pick even with Luck and RG3. I don't think he's fallen but rather he just had an unfortunate season where expectations where to big. His stats alone warrant him of being a 1st round pick. I also see how people make the connections between Leinart and Sanchez, former SC QB's, but I think he's different as he has a much better work ethic than Lienart(****er would just party lol) and he's much more polished than Sanchez who only started one season at USC.

The Chiefs have ALWAYS been grabbing veteran QB's to be their QB and have never developed a QB of their own. I think someone posted here not too long ago that a KC hasn't had they have selected won a game for them since 1983.. Cassell, Quinn, Trent Green(good player), Damon Huard, Elvis Grbac, etc, etc..

I'm not saying select Barkley #1 but draft the best QB in the draft at wherever they can get him. If they can move down to #7 and draft him then so be it.

As for the reaching of QB's, it's always the case. Like I said before Cam, Stafford, Rodgers, Ryan, etc, were all considered "reaches" and all of them turned out to be studs. I don't think Barkley is any different and I think he'll be a good QB in this league.

Problem for Barkley is the large number of "projects" in this draft. This season did nothing to separate him from the likes of Smith, Jones, Manuel, Bray, etc. So why not take one of those guys in the 3rd and use your #1 pick on a guy who's going to anchor your offensive or defensive line for 10 years? The odds for success with that pick are higher and you still have a developmental QB in the fold.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Problem for Barkley is the large number of "projects" in this draft. This season did nothing to separate him from the likes of Smith, Jones, Manuel, Bray, etc. So why not take one of those guys in the 3rd and use your #1 pick on a guy who's going to anchor your offensive or defensive line for 10 years? The odds for success with that pick are higher and you still have a developmental QB in the fold.

I understand he had a senior slump and many potential Heisman QB's entering their senior year usually have that type of slump/unfortunate break. He's still one of the most prolific QB's in NCAA history and let's see how he does in the workouts/combine. I think he was just unfortunate with the injury issues and with the USC team not being as good as advertised hurting his on field stats, I think he'll emerge as the #1 overall pick.. If Barkley can be selected in the 2nd then so be it and draft him there.

I also don't think most the guys you listed will slip into the third, there's always those darkhorse QB candidates that enter the 1st round in almost every draft. Barkley, Smith and Bray will all slide into the first round imo. The chances of a developmental pick like Manuel panning out isn't really too high because a) This draft is weak in QB's b) The Chiefs don't have a legit veteran QB who can lead the team 2-3 years until the developmental pick is ready to take over C) The Chiefs have always been drafting QB's in the 2nd-4th rounds and none of them have panned out.

If it's any other team I'll suggest for them to grab a veteran QB like Alex Smith or Carson Palmer who can be a good stop-gap or a possible long term option but the Chiefs have always been trying that and it always fails for them.. Cassell, Quinn, Orton, Huard, Grbac, etc..
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #30
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I understand he had a senior slump and many potential Heisman QB's entering their senior year usually have that type of slump/unfortunate break. He's still one of the most prolific QB's in NCAA history and let's see how he does in the workouts/combine. I think he was just unfortunate with the injury issues and with the USC team not being as good as advertised hurting his on field stats, I think he'll emerge as the #1 overall pick.. If Barkley can be selected in the 2nd then so be it and draft him there.

I also don't think most the guys you listed will slip into the third, there's always those darkhorse QB candidates that enter the 1st round in almost every draft. Barkley, Smith and Bray will all slide into the first round imo. The chances of a developmental pick like Manuel panning out isn't really too high because a) This draft is weak in QB's b) The Chiefs don't have a legit veteran QB who can lead the team 2-3 years until the developmental pick is ready to take over C) The Chiefs have always been drafting QB's in the 2nd-4th rounds and none of them have panned out.

If it's any other team I'll suggest for them to grab a veteran QB like Alex Smith or Carson Palmer who can be a good stop-gap or a possible long term option but the Chiefs have always been trying that and it always fails for them.. Cassell, Quinn, Orton, Huard, Grbac, etc..

All comes down to what you think of Barkley. If you reach and take him with the #1 overall...despite the consensus being that he's not worth taking that high...you better be 100% right that he's a long term, franchise QB. And you better know it fast; the 2014 QB class looks very good, and if Barkley's not your guy you've got to do what Carolina did and abandon ship quickly..

I don't believe you'll see as many QB go in the first round of this draft; not with guys with actual NFL experience potentially available on the FA market.

Only time will tell.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: