Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #136
irondarts

Default Re: Black Monday Thread (Firings)

The Bears have hired ex-Jags DC Mel Tucker as their new Defensive Coordinator

The Jets have hired ex-Eagles OC Marty Mornhinweg as their new Offensive Coordinator

The Cowboys have hired ex-Bears DC Rob Marinelli as their new Defensive Line Coach
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #137
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Marty in NYJ should be interesting given the QB drama.

And good job keeping this thread with up to date info irondarts.

Norv Turner in Cleveland as OC should be nice!
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #138
irondarts

Thanks GOBB.

On another note, no black head coaches or executives were hired this off season, which lead to news today that the NFL is considering overhauling and adjusting the Rooney Rule, as it hasn't been very effective for several years.

It's been 6 years since an African American has been hired as a Head Coach through an external search (meaning the person hired as HC wasn't already on the team's staff).
Old 01-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #139
irondarts

The Jaguars have hired ex-Miami Hurricanes OC Jedd Fisch as their new Offensive Coordinator

The Raiders have hired ex-Jaguars QB's Coach Greg Olson as their new Offensive Coordinator

The Cardinals have hired ex-Colts OL Coach Harold Goodwin as their new Offensive Coordinator
Old 01-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #140
irondarts

The Jaguars have hired ex-Bears LB's Coach Bob Babich as their new Defensive Coordinator
Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #141
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Thanks GOBB.

On another note, no black head coaches or executives were hired this off season, which lead to news today that the NFL is considering overhauling and adjusting the Rooney Rule, as it hasn't been very effective for several years.

It's been 6 years since an African American has been hired as a Head Coach through an external search (meaning the person hired as HC wasn't already on the team's staff).
The questions is, how many black coaches are available? I haven't heard any names. The point I'm making is that the Rooney Rule was not only created to get more minorities hired, but moreso to have more of them trained to become head coaches. That's where the real problem lies
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #142
irondarts

Looks like the Eagles are close to hiring Pat Shurmur as their new Offensive Coordinator.

WTF, such a weird hire IMO. Shurmur and Kelly have such different offensive philosophies.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #143
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
The questions is, how many black coaches are available? I haven't heard any names. The point I'm making is that the Rooney Rule was not only created to get more minorities hired, but moreso to have more of them trained to become head coaches. That's where the real problem lies
I definitely think there are capable black coaches out there, some that come to mind: Ray Horton (Should have gotten the Cards job, IMO), Hue Jackson, Mel Tucker, maybe Jim Caldwell.

But I agree, there's not a whole lot of candidates. I think Hue Jackson may get another Head Coaching job. I definitely think Ray Horton will be a Head Coach at some point.

I think a lot of black coaches are defensive minded coaches (save for Hue/Caldwell) and the NFL is going in an offensive orientated style of play. So that could factor in.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #144
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Looks like the Eagles are close to hiring Pat Shurmur as their new Offensive Coordinator.

WTF, such a weird hire IMO. Shurmur and Kelly have such different offensive philosophies.
Kelly will call the plays. I think Shurmur will be used more to groom the QB, as he's a former QB coach.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #145
Pacers4ever
Banned

Lol at browns hiring vince lombardi as VP of player personnel. That guy said josh gordon was a wast of a pick
Pacers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #146
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacers4ever
Lol at browns hiring vince lombardi as VP of player personnel. That guy said josh gordon was a wast of a pick
He also said that the Weeden pick was a sign of desperation and he's obsessed with Ryan Mallett, I think the Browns are going to trade for Mallett
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #147
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Thanks GOBB.

Tomlin?

I wonder if Rooney hired a black guy just to make the Rooney Rule look effective lol
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #148
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Tomlin?

I wonder if Rooney hired a black guy just to make the Rooney Rule look effective lol
Yup. Tomlin was the last black head coach hired externally.

All the black head coaches since (Caldwell, Hue Jackson, Raheem Morris, Mike Singletary, Leslie Frazier) were already assistant coaches in the organization.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #149
irondarts

The Eagles have officially hired Pat Shurmur as their new Offensive Coordinator.

I know Shurmur won't be calling plays and that Chip will completely control the offense, but I still find this to be an extremely odd hire. Shurmur's offensive approach is the antithesis of Kelly's.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #150
Charlie Sheen
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One

everyones favorite token interview ted cottrell works for the league now
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: