Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
swag2011
High School Starter

swag2011 has no real reputation yet.
Default Can someone explain to me what is exactly is making your teammates better?

How is it measured? By the assists you get? Or by how the players around you perform? What if players have their best statistical seasons playing next to you? Help me out here.
swag2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Nevaeh
National High School Star

Nevaeh is a pretty well-respected posterNevaeh is a pretty well-respected posterNevaeh is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is exactly is making your teammates better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swag2011
How is it measured? By the assists you get? Or by how the players around you perform? What if players have their best statistical seasons playing next to you? Help me out here.

See: Lebron James in last season's Finals.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
28renyoy
Banned

28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is exactly is making your teammates better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaeh
See: Lebron James in last season's Finals.

So by your teammates making the open 3's you create for them, in lebrons case, instead of them missing the open 3's you create for them, in Durants case. Gotcha
28renyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster

Meh, if your assists are up it also means the numbers of those around will be up. Those two work together, so certainly assists are a big part of it. There are obviously other aspects, but not all things can be simply measured by numbers. Hustle plays, playing defense, leadership (good encouragement and sharing knoweldge) as well as leading by example etc all in my eyes make those around you better.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Doctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat cool

Magic Johnson
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
JerryWest
kobeee!!

JerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Passing to wide open teammates can make them play better but it's mostly if your vocal and you have a good leadership quality is what makes them better.
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Inactive
Local High School Star

Inactive is considered somewhat coolInactive is considered somewhat coolInactive is considered somewhat cool

Getting them the ball in their sweet spots, getting them something easy when they're struggling, being a vocal leader on and off the court.
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Soultrane
I brick open layups

Soultrane has an OK reputation so far

All the characteristics just point to Chris Paul being the best leader in the NBA today.
Soultrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Nevaeh
National High School Star

Nevaeh is a pretty well-respected posterNevaeh is a pretty well-respected posterNevaeh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28renyoy
So by your teammates making the open 3's you create for them, in lebrons case, instead of them missing the open 3's you create for them, in Durants case. Gotcha

Quote:
Getting them the ball in their sweet spots, getting them something easy when they're struggling, being a vocal leader on and off the court.

What Inactive said.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputation

most players have their so-called peak season around year 3 to 5.

By that time, they have figured out the level of play in the NBA, they know what the other players can do, and they make a statement.

Mike Jordan had his 3000 point season, on 37 ppg in his 3rd year.
Shaq had a 29 & 11 season his 3rd year
David Thompson ran a 27 5 & 5 his 3rd year

You see? They have their best personal season just about their 3rd to 5th year in the League. It's true for almost all of the great players:
Chamberlain had his 4000 point season on 50 & 25;
Kareem ran a 34 & 16 stat line;
Barkley's 4th season was 25 & 10.....

Some guys, like Kobe Bryant, for various reasons weren't ready for the league, or they sat behind a great player, or they had injuries, and so forth.... so their personal best season came at a different time. But by and large, that is what you will see if you take a look at career averages.

Virtually none of those guys had their best season as a player, in the season of their personal best.
What they did was make their statement - this is what I can do, I'm bad, and nobody can tell you different!!

But as long as they are in that mode they are not making their teammates better - instead, their teammates are making THEM better.

You see? They haven't learned yet how to play basketball. Until you can elevate your teammates' game, you haven't figured it out yet.

Now it's a general belief that Russell elevated his teammates more than any other player and thus the 60s Celtics won all those rings. In fact, if you study the careers of players around Wilt Chamberlain, you will find an entirely different story. But the way they have of passing to the correct spot for a teammate, or taking defensive pressure off a teammate....... those kinds of things are elevating a teammate.
Another guy who has had that ability, was Rodman. Robert Horry had it.

They get their teammates involved, or motivated, excited, whatever you want to call it. I have seen players go out on the court and their teammates go into a trance. Passing improves, defense improves, and they start winning.

Some guys never get it. Elvin Hayes was a phenomenal talent but had zero ability to make his teammates better. That doesn't have to be a weakness, IF, their coach recognizes this fact and makes allowances for it. If that coach can place that player in the correct position to show their best game, the team can still be successful. But someone else will have to be willing to give up a lot of numbers, and will have to be the unspoken leader.
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Anaximandro1
High School Varsity 6th Man

Anaximandro1 has an OK reputation so far

Tim Duncan 2003 Playoffs: Triple-Double (15/20/10/4), Gm 6 vs. Phoenix Suns

Duncan was double-teamed on every possession,so he created a ton of open shots for his teammates to close out the Suns.He finished with 15 pt/20rb/10 as/4blk
Anaximandro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
KOBE143
In GawdBe We Trust

KOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Just watch every game of Kobe, past and recent and you will find what you're looking for..

List of some players that became a better player becoz of Kobe's guidance..

Note: He also help them maximize their true potential:

1. Shaq
2. Bynum
3. Pau
4. Fisher
5. Horry
6. Dwight
7. Malone
8. Payton
9. MWP
10. Odom

I didnt list all of them becos they're too many.. Those players career had been save becos of Kobe.. He motivated them, showed them the right path of playing basketball, taught them how to win and to have a winning mentality.. Kobe didnt just made them a better player physically but also made them a better player with tough mentality.. Another player that I think was equal to Kobe in making their teammates better is none other than the GOAT PG Magic Johnson.. I also recommend people to watch some of his game.. Its really helpful.. In terms of making your teammates better, Kobe and Magic is all you need.. By watching their games, you will easily understand what is really the meaning of making your teammates better..

Hopes this helps..
KOBE143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
TheFastOne
Celtic Pride

TheFastOne has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOBE143
Just watch every game of Kobe, past and recent and you will find what you're looking for..

List of some players that became a better player becoz of Kobe's guidance..

Note: He also help them maximize their true potential:

1. Shaq
2. Bynum
3. Pau
4. Fisher
5. Horry
6. Dwight
7. Malone
8. Payton
9. MWP
10. Odom

I didnt list all of them becos they're too many.. Those players career had been save becos of Kobe.. He motivated them, showed them the right path of playing basketball, taught them how to win and to have a winning mentality.. Kobe didnt just made them a better player physically but also made them a better player with tough mentality.. Another player that I think was equal to Kobe in making their teammates better is none other than the GOAT PG Magic Johnson.. I also recommend people to watch some of his game.. Its really helpful.. In terms of making your teammates better, Kobe and Magic is all you need.. By watching their games, you will easily understand what is really the meaning of making your teammates better..

Hopes this helps..
Shaq, Horry, Malone, Payton and Dwight

Shaq was in his prime and lifted Kobe to another level, Big Shot Rob was just being Big Shot Rob. Malone was one his last legs, same for Payton and Dwight hasn't been excelling has he?
TheFastOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
KOBE143
In GawdBe We Trust

KOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardKOBE143 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFastOne
Shaq, Horry, Malone, Payton and Dwight

Shaq was in his prime and lifted Kobe to another level, Big Shot Rob was just being Big Shot Rob. Malone was one his last legs, same for Payton and Dwight hasn't been excelling has he?
Dwight is just starting to learn.. He will become a better player someday..

Malone had a feud with Kobe thats why it only has little impact to him but it really helps him a lot to become a mature player and retired as a mature legend..

GP - he went to lakers to learned a lot from Kobe then left the lakers after he gets what he wants.. It really helps him tho to finally won a ring.. He just used Kobe for his own benefit.. Damn you GP..

Horry become a clutch player

Shaq - everyone knows Shaq was shit without Kobe.. Kobe made him a winner.. After he left the Lakers, he became a journeyman..
KOBE143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
Overdrive
Local High School Star

Overdrive is considered somewhat coolOverdrive is considered somewhat cool

Getting your teammates the ball in their comfort zone. Nobody makes their teammates better, but some player play to their teammates strength and some just to their own strength.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: