Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Bill Walton: Mike D'Antoni saved the sport of basketball

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/01/...of-basketball/

Press here to listen to whole interview

Going back, do you think Walton was correct?
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board
Default Re: Bill Walton: Mike D'Antoni saved the sport of basketball

The only thing he saved was suns fans celebrating a championship.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
ZenMaster
Whap'em

ZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

That's very high praise. Kind of obnoxious listening to the other guys trying to tune him out by laughing over him explaining his point.

People forget how tough it was to watch NBA basketball just 10 years ago, low scores with, as Walton say, teams just grinding it out and standing.

D'Antoni brought in spread pickn'roll from Europe, before that pickn'roll was done with a player already on the block clogging the lane.
He brought in concepts of getting the 1 second advantage, maintining it and scoring from it. A concept that is now in a lot of teams pickn'roll philosophy, for example on the Knicks. Woodson did a good job of keeping a lot of the offensive pillars from D'Antoni, and now they have some of if not the best ball movement in the league.

Before that in the 80's they didn't even run pickn'roll in the NBA at all. I have a copy of the original 76-77 Lakers playbook, there's tons of stuff in there but I can't think of one pickn'roll set, quite incredible compared to today.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
RobertdeMeijer
Serious playground baller

RobertdeMeijer has an OK reputation so far

Oooh, what is in the 76-77 Laker's playbook then?
RobertdeMeijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

pringles must of been the luckiest guy to be able to coach that phoenix team at the right t ime
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

I think to say he saved the sport is a huge stretch. His offense did inspire some other teams and coaches to add bits and pieces. But let's not act like he was the first person to ever had a run and gun team.

I think the simple fact that he hasn't been able to duplicate the results from phoenix or even close to it says a lot about him.

And at Walton saying "offense wins championships", sure you need a good offense, but at the end you still need a good defense to win.
Rockets(T-mac) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
ZenMaster
Whap'em

ZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertdeMeijer
Oooh, what is in the 76-77 Laker's playbook then?

I stand corrected, they had 3 options ending in a pickn'roll, one is part of their "swing" set another other part of the "flash forward" set and the last is out of the triangle, all pickn'rolls where 4th or 5th option in the set though and was set up with very few ending posibilites.

I have no Idea if any of this makes sense to you but:

Quote:
BASIC TEAM OFFENSES BY NUMBERS AND NAMES
#1 Triangle Offense
Strong side Action
Split up & Down
Rutgers
#6 Triangle Offense
Reverse ball action
Slice past
Double slice
Slice reverse
Slice pick
Slice B 6B
Double possibilities (Fist up)
Plain double
Double reverse
#5 High post offense- (any number 5)
#50- Forward back picks for guard, pin down away.
#5 - One guard front stack both forwards same side, center on other side.
#5X - Forward flashing, center-forward cross under-guard wide.
#15 - Forward flashing, center picks other forward, guard follow ball.
Quick Offenses (Cities Names)
KC - Center in lane
Indy - One guard front double pin down
DC Backdoor
Philly Double guard around
LA One guard front into power low.
Stack Offense
Weakside Action
Swing Action- Flash-forward
Strong side action
Inside Game
Offense vs. Pressure at Half Court (College Names)
Carolina guard hits opposite forward flashing
Duke - Guard hits center side
Virginia - Guard hits forward who hits opposite forward across
Out Of Bounds plays under the basket 1-2-3
Out of Bounds plays sideline A-B-C
Home run- No time outs available- Ball on opposite end of floor.

Also I really like this part of how individuals should think about how they're being guarded:

Quote:
Offensive recognition and thinking - The most important and quickest
information the offensive man must realize is how his defensive opponent
plays him. You must ask yourself these questions:
A. Does he play off me with and without the ball?
B. Does he overplay me?
C. Does he turn his head to follow the ball?
D. Does he help out when your teammate drives or becomes free?
E. How does he react on screens?
F. Does he block out on rebounding?
G. Can I drive on him?
H. Can I hit outside on him?
I. Does he protect a particular side on defense?
J. Does he recover fast from offense to defense?
K. Does he like to switch often?
L. Is he aggressive?
M.Does he foul on the drive?
N. Will he retreat because of a fake?
O. Can I stop on the drive and take my jump shot or should I continue all the
way.
P. How far out in the backcourt will he play me in a normal position?
Q. Hardly the lst and probably as important as any step mentioned --- Is he in
shape to produce at all times.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Nuggets with D'Antoni sucked, Suns with D'Antoni and without Nash sucked, Knicks with D'Antoni sucked, LA with D'Antoni sucks.

I clearly can see a pattern here.

Apparently Stockton and Malone never existed, neither their flawless pick and roll. They are like dinosaur bones, they are here to test D'Antoni homers faith.

Apparently teams didn't run before D'Antoni.

I said this like one month ago. I saw more cuts, screens, off the ball movements, execution out of timeouts, in the first 3 games of the Knicks this season than in 3 seasons with D'Antoni. Period!

Worst coach on the NBA.

Now i give one thing to D'Antoni, he might be the only coach in the history of NBA that have produced homers.

Sidenote, i'm so glad to see Toney Douglas playing, and playing well, after what Pringles did to him, tried to used him as a scapegoat.

Last edited by Blue&Orange : 12-12-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

Remember when any two of Dallas/Phoenix/Golden State was must see TV?
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Bill Walton, the master of the hyperbole

D'Antoni made it easier for the casual fan to watch basketball fan. It is necessary in order to grow the game globally. But he did not "save" the league, the influx of superstar talent since the mid 2000s did, plain and simple
Burgz V2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
Nuggets with D'Antoni sucked, Suns with D'Antoni and without Nash sucked, Knicks with D'Antoni sucked, LA with D'Antoni sucks.

I clearly can see a pattern here.

Apparently Stockton and Malone never existed, neither their flawless pick and roll. They are like dinosaur bones, they are here to test D'Antoni homers faith.

Apparently teams didn't run before D'Antoni.

I said this like one month ago. I saw more cuts, screens, off the ball movements, execution out of timeouts, in the first 3 games of the Knicks this season than in 3 seasons with D'Antoni. Period!

Worst coach on the NBA.

Now i give one thing to D'Antoni, he might be the only coach in the history of NBA that have produced homers.

Sidenote, i'm so glad to see Toney Douglas playing, and playing well, after what Pringles did to him, tried to used him as a scapegoat.

ummm most Knick fans seemed to agree with D Antoni when Tony Douglas was in the doghouse. i remember bringing that up to Knick fans here who defended it saying TD had been playing like garbage, while i was arguing he played good D and can take over games at times with his 3pt shooting when he's hot and that he had a lot of game. i can't even remember one Knick fan backing me back then btw....

you can thank D Antoni for a lot of the Knicks offensive teamwork since i don't think Woodson changed much other than a more defensive focused philosophy and effort. especially when Woodson's only known offense are the iso happy Hawks.

Adelman for how great of a coach as he's hyped seems to be doing poorly with the TWolves, and its not like they don't have talent even without Rubio.

but whatever. its all premature and pointless to even judge right now until Nash gets back and they're full strength for a few weeks. no one player could probably change any offense in the NBA as much as Nash in D Antoni's offense. even if its unlikely they meet their ridiculous expectations it'll at least be a fair time to judge to some degree, unlike now.

Last edited by Godzuki : 12-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
madmax17
Decent playground baller

madmax17 has an OK reputation so far

Saved basketball, ruined the Lakers, the man is a God with a mustache among humans.
madmax17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Some of the Knick fans are saying things that make me embarrassed. Just because he sucked at the end with us (at the end) doesn't mean he wasn't terrific in Phoenix.

The biggest turnaround in NBA history (until Boston) probably means something. I don't think Steve Nash coached them.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Some of the Knick fans are saying things that make me embarrassed. Just because he sucked at the end with us (at the end) doesn't mean he wasn't terrific in Phoenix.

The biggest turnaround in NBA history (until Boston) probably means something. I don't think Steve Nash coached them.

D'Antoni sucked every year for the Knicks, not just the end.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
D'Antoni sucked every year for the Knicks, not just the end.

How did he suck for us at first? We sucked. We were post-Isiah. We won 9 more games with him in his first season. We built up some trade value and naturally got worse the next year when we lose Crawford, didn't have Randolph at all, Nate went Nate and was gone like 30 games into the year.

Amare is a great player, but he's not a guy to carry a team. Yet, he did. It is, however, foolish to think he did it all on his own. D'Antoni did a lot with that team and to say he didn't is just wrong.

Last edited by Whoah10115 : 12-12-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: