Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
devin112
Local High School Star
 
devin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,159
Default opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Do you guys call that as a foul? I know u're supposed to box out and use 2 hands but sometimes the situation calls for a 1 handed board. Sometimes when I do this my opponent will hit my hand as i grab it and cause me to lose the ball out of bounds. is that a foul or no? I never call it but I think I should.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman
 
Burgz V2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,800
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
Do you guys call that as a foul? I know u're supposed to box out and use 2 hands but sometimes the situation calls for a 1 handed board. Sometimes when I do this my opponent will hit my hand as i grab it and cause me to lose the ball out of bounds. is that a foul or no? I never call it but I think I should.

i dont call it in pickup because tbh the refs will probably not give you that in a game, dont want to start expecting that if you're in a tough match or something

hand is part of the ball anyways, unless he grabs you it cant be a foul on a rebound as no one has possession and both have equal right to fight for it. Contact sport bro, sometimes you get tough plays like that
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,464
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
i dont call it in pickup because tbh the refs will probably not give you that in a game, dont want to start expecting that if you're in a tough match or something

hand is part of the ball anyways, unless he grabs you it cant be a foul on a rebound as no one has possession and both have equal right to fight for it. Contact sport bro, sometimes you get tough plays like that
I always relinquish possession on plays like that. I understand I could play the "but the only reason I lost it is because you hit my hand" card, but it's just one of those things I opt not to object because I mean, it did go off me, whether my hand was hit or not. At best, sometimes an opponent will voluntarily give possession without a fight, acknowledging he forced the rock out through contact, even if he didn't touch the ball firsthand.

On the flip side, I do not believe the hand is always a part of the ball. And just because there is not an established possession does it mean everything's fair game. In a non-streetball/pickup game, I've most definitely seen fouls called on plays exactly as described. More often though, I see the officials relent from calling a foul and instead award possession to the guy who's hand was hit as a way of saying "Yes, it was off you, but only because of the technically illegal contact of your opponent". Contrary to popular belief, the hand is not declared a part of the ball and thus open to any form of contact at all times during a game.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 12-09-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman
 
Burgz V2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,800
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I always relinquish possession on plays like that. I understand I could play the "but the only reason I lost it is because you hit my hand" card, but it's just one of those things I opt not to object because I mean, it did go off me, whether my hand was hit or not. At best, sometimes an opponent will voluntarily give possession without a fight, acknowledging he forced the rock out through contact, even if he didn't touch the ball firsthand.

On the flip side, I do not believe the hand is always a part of the ball. And just because there is not an established possession does it mean everything's fair game. In a non-streetball/pickup game, I've most definitely seen fouls called on plays exactly as described. More often though, I see the officials relent from calling a foul and instead award possession to the guy who's hand was hit as a way of saying "Yes, it was off you, but only because of the technically illegal contact of your opponent". Contrary to popular belief, the hand is not declared a part of the ball and thus open to any form of contact at all times during a game.

http://www.basketball.com/nba/rules/comments.shtml

Quote:
b. The hand is considered "part of the ball" when it is in contact with the ball. Therefore, contact on that hand by a defender while it is in contact with the ball is not illegal.

i understand the reasoning that the ref may award you possession anyways, but you are wrong. It is a judgement call on the ref, but while dribbling, passing, and even in some cases shooting, the hand is part of the ball. if the contact forces the player to miss a shot, it therefore becomes a judgement call on the part of the ref. the advantage in that case will have been given to the defender for "incidental" contact, and therefore, more often than not on shot attempts a foul will be awarded.

however, on a loose ball situation this rule applies very strongly.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,611
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Usually in that situation (opponent pushes your hand as you are grabbing the rebound) it means the opponent touch it last thus the possession become yours.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
devin112
Local High School Star
 
devin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,159
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Thanks for the input everybody. Like I said I've never called it but I find it really annoying. I once played with a fcuker who did that on purpose knowing the board was mine and instead of relenting he'd hit my hand causing me to lose the ball. I think in the future when the contact is unintentional I'll continue to let it slide and when it's intentional I'll just simply remind the fcuker it's his ball thanks to that cheap move.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,611
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
Thanks for the input everybody. Like I said I've never called it but I find it really annoying. I once played with a fcuker who did that on purpose knowing the board was mine and instead of relenting he'd hit my hand causing me to lose the ball. I think in the future when the contact is unintentional I'll continue to let it slide and when it's intentional I'll just simply remind the fcuker it's his ball thanks to that cheap move.
It's not a foul but it's your ball if the opponent pushes your hand and the ball goes out of bounds.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,464
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
http://www.basketball.com/nba/rules/comments.shtml



i understand the reasoning that the ref may award you possession anyways, but you are wrong. It is a judgement call on the ref, but while dribbling, passing, and even in some cases shooting, the hand is part of the ball. if the contact forces the player to miss a shot, it therefore becomes a judgement call on the part of the ref. the advantage in that case will have been given to the defender for "incidental" contact, and therefore, more often than not on shot attempts a foul will be awarded.

however, on a loose ball situation this rule applies very strongly.
Perhaps I failed at explaining clearly. I was not saying the hand was not a part of the ball. Instead, I was saying hand contact is not forever legal in every shape or form as long as that hand is touching the ball. There's always limits and it's often tied to the aforementioned incidental contact vs. non-incidental.

I'm not sure exactly what you're stating through and through though. Regarding your line on loose ball situations, what rule applies very strongly? Incidental contact?
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,253
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

It's park ball...it's a foul. You get the ball back. Hand is part of the ball only applies to shots.
KungFuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman
 
Burgz V2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,800
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Perhaps I failed at explaining clearly. I was not saying the hand was not a part of the ball. Instead, I was saying hand contact is not forever legal in every shape or form as long as that hand is touching the ball. There's always limits and it's often tied to the aforementioned incidental contact vs. non-incidental.

I'm not sure exactly what you're stating through and through though. Regarding your line on loose ball situations, what rule applies very strongly? Incidental contact?

incidental contact rule. sorry i shouldve restated what i was referring to. if both players go for the ball, meaning neither have established possession, and the contact of, lets say Player A, forces Player B's hand into the ball and it goes out, if you apply the incidental contact rule, you may consider the hand as part of the ball. if that were the case, then Player A just hit the ball out of bounds.

it depends on the judgement of the ref at the end of the day. these plays usually happen so quick, it is hard to rely on refs to see everything every single time. it is their judgement which will determine whether a player just accidentally hit someones hand going for the ball, or hit someones hand to prevent them from getting a rebound.

even when dribbling if a player hits your hand and the ball goes out because of that contact, its the refs judgement whether to award a foul or possession.

i know this because i coach and i got blasted by a ref once about this and he told me to look it up, and me like a smart ass look it up on my phone during halftime and i found out i was wrong
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 19,702
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

If he hits your hand while grabbing it, just claim it's out of bounds off him. Typically the guy trying to grab the ball gets possession, not the guy who smacks it or comes flying over the back. At least that's how we play.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy