Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: "Antoni and the missing "D"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
It makes you wonder about the Melo situation doesn't it? Did Melo really never play defense or was he in systems (with Karl and 'antoni) that didn't allow him to. He has been so far with Woodson. I guess we'll see what happens when the playoffs come around.

Wow.....great call, I didn't even think about Melo......yeah you are right, the coaches lack of defensive systems really made him look bad.
I think the worst part of signing Nash is that we got stuck with his baggage 'Antoni because he's here.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #32
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Wow.....great call, I didn't even think about Melo......yeah you are right, the coaches lack of defensive systems really made him look bad.
I think the worst part of signing Nash is that we got stuck with his baggage 'Antoni because he's here.

At this point, the only changes made would probably be trading role players and minor tweaks to the roster. The worst part about this is the fact that the worst scenario that we were all afraid of is happening. We were all worried about the effects of an injured Nash. If Nash got injured for a while and the record of the team was getting worse, it would lead to more worries that Dwight Howard would simply just leave and go to the mavericks after this season.

We would still be over the cap by a bunch and be forced to build the team around Kobe, with the loss of an all-star center that we had either in Bynum or in Dwight. There would be no point in trading Gasol at that point and the end result would be a team that is slightly competitive with a focus on Kobe trying to become the number one holder of points in NBA history. Basically, not a championship contender. All because we made the same mistake twice (MB over Adelman, D'Antoni over PJ).

Pretty scary out how the next few years can turn out huh?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #33
dd24
College superstar

The other thing I was thinking about with the Knicks is look how good of an outside shooting team they have. They're the best in the NBA from behind the arc. They were putting together a team for 'antoni's offense and it still didn't work for 'antoni. Give those players to Woodson who preaches defense and they still have been scoring the ball well, shooting amazing, and playing pretty good D. It makes it pretty clear to me 'antoni is a big part of the problem. That Knicks roster had a ton of talent and under achieved. 'antoni couldn't get his stars (Melo & Amare) to mesh. It makes me really wonder how he's going to make things happen here. You would think anybody could coach a team with Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant to a winning record and make the playoffs. They shouldn't need Nash & Gasol to have a winning record. Two superstars is enough to make the playoffs. Injuries are irrelevant to me right now. This system is an issue.

I understand Phil Jackson can't coach the Lakers forever, but they clearly missed on that one. There will come a time he'll never coach another basketball game. There's certainly other people out there that can coach the Lakers. Buss just doesn't have a clue when it comes to this.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #34
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
The other thing I was thinking about with the Knicks is look how good of an outside shooting team they have. They're the best in the NBA from behind the arc. They were putting together a team for 'antoni's offense and it still didn't work for 'antoni. Give those players to Woodson who preaches defense and they still have been scoring the ball well, shooting amazing, and playing pretty good D. It makes it pretty clear to me 'antoni is a big part of the problem. That Knicks roster had a ton of talent and under achieved. 'antoni couldn't get his stars (Melo & Amare) to mesh. It makes me really wonder how he's going to make things happen here. You would think anybody could coach a team with Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant to a winning record and make the playoffs. They shouldn't need Nash & Gasol to have a winning record. Two superstars is enough to make the playoffs. Injuries are irrelevant to me right now. This system is an issue.

I understand Phil Jackson can't coach the Lakers forever, but they clearly missed on that one. There will come a time he'll never coach another basketball game. There's certainly other people out there that can coach the Lakers. Buss just doesn't have a clue when it comes to this.

It's ridiculous that we repeatedly failed to hire a capable coach....not just Phil......Adelman is still pissed that he didn't get the job......Jerry Sloan is still out there. Honestly....if the best we could do was 'Antoni we should've just let Bernie continue. 'Antoni is going to get run out of town in a very ugly way if he doesn't resign.
How stupid does Jimmy look now for ignoring the fans who were chanting Phil's name?
He has lost the few ounces of credibility he may have had....but again....I warned all of you about him.

Another 40 point quarter given up...Knicks 41 first quarter......pathetic coaching!!!!!

In my 50+ years of watching NBA basketball I don't think I've seen a more confused defense. At the very minimum the Lakers have to bring in an assistant coach to fix the defense.

Last edited by DKLaker : 12-14-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #35
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

This dude does not preach defense whatsoever, how the f*ck are we gonna get good on defense when they're only practicing it for like 20 minutes? Jim Buss is driving this team straight into the ground first, by hiring Mike Brown, then you basically say f*ck you to Phil f*cking Jackson and hire this pha66ot? This dude had a losing record with Melo and Stoudemire! SMDH.
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #36
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
This dude does not preach defense whatsoever, how the f*ck are we gonna get good on defense when they're only practicing it for like 20 minutes? Jim Buss is driving this team straight into the ground first, by hiring Mike Brown, then you basically say f*ck you to Phil f*cking Jackson and hire this pha66ot? This dude had a losing record with Melo and Stoudemire! SMDH.

It's really hard to watch the Lakers right now, in no way shape or form is the team doing the right things and worse yet, 'Antoni is close to guaranteeing that Dwight will not return......does anyone understand what is wrong with these numbers;
Shooting
K. Bryant, 11-24
D. Howard, 5-10
P. Gasol, 3-10
C. Duhon, 1-3
D. Ebanks, 1-4
J. Meeks, 5-13
World Peace 6-18
D. Morris, 3-6
How in the Fk does Dwight only get 10 shots when Kobe gets 24, Metta gets 18, Meeks gets 13......and even Pau gets 10.
WTF is Dwight now our 5th option? He wants to be THE GUY and we give him 10 shots???? We need to change the system or he's going to walk. He can't make the H.O.F taking 10 shots a game......not even to mention no title for us playing this ridiculous style of gunning, no defense basketball that barely allows us to beat the weakest teams in the league
Shouldn't Jimmy's first questions to 'Antoni have been to ask how he was going to use Dwight and Pau? Jerry really needs to pay Jimmy to go away.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #37
dd24
College superstar

I did see Dwight make quite a few passes out of the post yesterday. I'm sure it's a result of what 'antoni has been forcing him to do. You can see when the offense initiates it goes into Dwight in the post. There's times where Dwight would've normally shot the ball and he still gave it up. They're giving up an easy two for a long outside shot often times. It's not smart. I'm sure Dwight can't be all that happy. If I had to guess he might not be a Laker next year.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
For the past two weeks I was completely against the preconceived notion that "when Nash comes back, everything will be fine". I thought it was the stupidest thing to add. For example, I would ask myself "Nash has never been a defensive player, how can he possibly set things back into place?"

Then a thought came to me. One of the golden rules when we were all kids was "A good defense is a good offense". Its true.

Then I started thinking the other way. "A good offense is a good defense". That makes a lot of sense as well.

Think about some factors here with a healthy Nash:

1) If he picks up where he left off when he was with the D'Antoni coached suns, his assist to turnover ratio would be off the charts as always.

2) For every well executed play that leads to a basket, the lakers can have the time to run back on defense and man their positions.

3) Nash will create opportunities for other players, which will in turn, limit Kobe's offensive production. This is a good thing. The lakers are 1-10 this year when Kobe goes big during games. Its not to say that its bad when he scores, but when he has to try to take over games, it means something is not right with the rest of the team. If the rest of the team's offensive production increases, Kobe will have to do less. Then he can play a bit more defense, which he has been sucking in this season and last.

4) Nash is another 3 point shooter that will stretch the defense just a bit more than Duhon was able to. (By the way I believe Duhon has done a splendid job).

The times we have seen D'Antoni win was when he had a good point guard that loved his system. This happened twice with Nash and Jeremy Lin.

Indeed if Nash comes back healthy, our problems may indeed be solved.

Uh.......in a word..........NO
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #39
DKLaker

Quote:
"Just having a defensive coach for the first time in my career is going to help," Stoudemire said. "I've never been taught defense in my whole career. To now have a coach that actually teaches defense and teaches strategies and knows positioning and posture and how to guard different plays is going to be helpful. I'm going to take it as a challenge, accept the challenge and try to improve as a player."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...ense-1.4399228

@ D'Antoni

Ok, I Vultured this from the main board because it's so fitting and shows you the depths of trouble we are in......'Antoni has never taught or seriously worked on defense in his life......we cannot expect things to get any better.......unless Coach Kobe holds his own practices and designs the defense.....do it Coachbe
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #40
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

how many days since the last Lakers' game? it seems like a whole week. i wonder how many minutes MDA used for Defense during practises this week? maybe half an hour or less?
L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #41
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Ok, I Vultured this from the main board because it's so fitting and shows you the depths of trouble we are in......'Antoni has never taught or seriously worked on defense in his life......we cannot expect things to get any better.......unless Coach Kobe holds his own practices and designs the defense.....do it Coachbe

Not saying it isn't credible, but Stoudemire had his best production under D'Antoni. Thrived in Phoenix. Nash made him look like a superstar.

Im not saying it isn't true. But do you really want to take a negative comment from a guy who has been successful under his own complained about coach, who led them to the WCF on several occasions?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #42
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Not saying it isn't credible, but Stoudemire had his best production under D'Antoni. Thrived in Phoenix. Nash made him look like a superstar.

Im not saying it isn't true. But do you really want to take a negative comment from a guy who has been successful under his own complained about coach, who led them to the WCF on several occasions?

Of absolutely freaking course it's credible.....how is scoring points real basketball? If you can only play on half the court you are a joke as a player and will never win crap. I really don't get how you feel this was/is/will ever be considered successful. I am glad that Amare knows the difference. It's funny because I ran into him in Vegas at the RIO about 5 years back and ended up talking hoops for at least an hour, he said then that he didn't know how to get stops and that 'Antoni just wanted to shoot and run, no defensive practice at all. Amare is really skinny in person, he was wearing shorts and his legs and ankles were so small that I couldn't imagine him being able to stay upright. Lol, I had drinks with Starbury at TAO the next night.....what a waste of talent there.

Kobe's points are up......ask him how SUCCESSFUL he feels right now under 'Antoni......come on LF!!!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #43
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

i will think about him, if he actually plays defense. lots of player love to talk about D but never give a damn about it during games.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #44
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

trade idea:
MDA + Pau for Adelman + Pick
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #45
DKLaker