Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Kaepernick to start Sunday against Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Harbaugh might undervalue QB's He was a fairly marginal QB's. What i hear is all second hand (like all of us) but it almost sounds like the QB's are interchangable, no more a problem than changing starting RB's, and it doesn't work like that. I've never seen a situation watching football where QB's get flipped more than once and it works.

If Kaepernick does struggle in two weeks time and he does switch to Smith I see it becoming a problem as well.. At that time there's going to be no continuity in the offense and I'm sure the chemistry of the team will be hurt as well.

I'm just afraid of what will happen in the postseason. Like what Timmy says what happens if we play a team like Atlanta lets say on the road and they're crucifying him? Would he be able to lead the team for a comeback like the New Orleans game last season?(Where Smith gets absolutely no credit for!)
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #32
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
If Kaepernick does struggle in two weeks time and he does switch to Smith I see it becoming a problem as well.. At that time there's going to be no continuity in the offense and I'm sure the chemistry of the team will be hurt as well.

I'm just afraid of what will happen in the postseason. Like what Timmy says what happens if we play a team like Atlanta lets say on the road and they're crucifying him? Would he be able to lead the team for a comeback like the New Orleans game last season?(Where Smith gets absolutely no credit for!)

I think we agree, i don't like the timing. Rookie QB's (which Kaepernick essentially is) have a learning curve and generally have a few horrific weeks. So to me, i get the switch. NEXT YEAR. In preseason. Doing it now essentially puts your growing pains in the playoffs. Because like you, i don't see the flipping work.

Smith was playing well, he had a few hiccups but everyone does. I think Smith gives the Niners a better chance. (If the Giants play the Niners in the playoffs, i rather Kaepernick be in there. I think our pass rush against a rookie QB in a huge spot will rattle him. I don't think Smith would be rattled, he might make mistakes just because anyone can and will, but i could see Kaepernick cracking.)

I don't get it but i guess we'll see how it plays out.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #33
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I think we agree, i don't like the timing. Rookie QB's (which Kaepernick essentially is) have a learning curve and generally have a few horrific weeks. So to me, i get the switch. NEXT YEAR. In preseason. Doing it now essentially puts your growing pains in the playoffs. Because like you, i don't see the flipping work.

Smith was playing well, he had a few hiccups but everyone does. I think Smith gives the Niners a better chance. (If the Giants play the Niners in the playoffs, i rather Kaepernick be in there. I think our pass rush against a rookie QB in a huge spot will rattle him. I don't think Smith would be rattled, he might make mistakes just because anyone can and will, but i could see Kaepernick cracking.

I don't get it but i guess we'll see how it plays out.

The only rookie/young QB's who was able to make this switch in midseason and win the SB was Brady when Bledsoe got hurt. Rothlesberger started majority of the season his rookie yr and got eliminated in the championship game. Rookie QB's are waiting to crack under pressure
Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #34
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Smith is a game manager, because all he does is throw safe short passes underneath the defense. He has great completion numbers, but that is to be expected since he never throws deep. He averages under 200 ypg, and in today's NFL that is not going to cut it.

Even the Giants said they won the NFC title game because they knew Smith can't make all the throws.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #35
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Smith is a game manager, because all he does is throw safe short passes underneath the defense. He has great completion numbers, but that is to be expected since he never throws deep. He averages under 200 ypg, and in today's NFL that is not going to cut it.

Even the Giants said they won the NFC title game because they knew Smith can't make all the throws.

That's funny because Smith is the third best in the league at yards per passing attempt with 7.98 yards per attempt. If Smith is a game manager does that mean 28 other NFL QB's are "game managers"?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #36
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
That's funny because Smith is the third best in the league at yards per passing attempt with 7.98 yards per attempt. If Smith is a game manager does that mean 28 other NFL QB's are "game managers"?
Quote:
A game manager is a quarterback who makes a minimum number of mistakes for a team that relies on its defense and rushing offense to win games. The player is expected to not lose games with interceptions, fumbles, or poor decisions.It is commonly used to describe a quarterback on a winning team who does not accumulate large individual statistics such as passing yards and touchdowns.
That is Alex Smith
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #37
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Does anyone think he's going to reinstate Smith next game? It seems like he's just doing all he can not to alienate Smith but the guy he really believes in is Kaepernick and he's going to have to admit this to the world sooner or later.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #38
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
That is Alex Smith
It doesn't matter, it's not really the relevant argument at this point. To me it's which gives you the best chance.

1) Kaerpernick starting.
2) Smith starting.
3) Going with the hot hand.

To me the choice clearly is #2 right now for this year. #1 means trying to win with a rookie, and #3 is a cluster**** that literally never works.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #39
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Yards per attempt is not the way to measure if a QB can throw down the field. Every QB averages around 7-8 yards per attempt. The ones who can go deep don't average 10+ yards. The reason Smith's ypa is so high is that he completes so many short passes under 10 yards, which keeps his average high.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #40
Sarcastic

There are QBs now that throw for 300 yards per game. Smith can't even get 200 yards a game. That's pathetic. Harbough realizes this, which is why they went for Peyton, and why he is making the QB change. All the receivers want Kaepernick. Vernon Davis was ready to give him a blow job at the podium after the game.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #41
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I am just going to throw this out there as several people have called Kap a rookie in this thread. This is his second year...
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #42
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
I am just going to throw this out there as several people have called Kap a rookie in this thread. This is his second year...

We all are aware he physically is not a rookie but he hasn't played practically at all so we are addressing him as such because it makes the point about his mental state and skillset.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #43
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
We all are aware he physically is not a rookie but he hasn't played practically at all so we are addressing him as such because it makes the point about his mental state and skillset.
Ok fair enough, I should have figured you guys knew that

I think the 49ers should stick with Kap. Alex has been doing a good job this year in that his team keeps winning games, but he isn't really doing much to win games himself. Kap is harder to prepare for defensively and he has shown that he is capable of making some tough throws.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #44
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Harbaugh just came out and announced Kaepernick will remain the starter.

I normally don't feel bad for athletes unless something life threatening/ family related happens.

I can safely say I feel bad for Alex Smith. The guy has been in such tortuous situations.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #45
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kap is going to start against the Rams.

I just hope this doesn't come crashing down around our ears later man... it will be a major debacle if it does.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: