Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #16
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

DirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: #97 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Manu!!!!
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
fpliii
sick of agendas...

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
What's up fpl?

not much, I've been without power for some time (I need to get back to NorCal, f*ck NYC), but everything's been fine for a few days

I went to ESPN a couple of days ago, as bad as ever (everyone has to use aliases now to remain anonymous to avoid bans, even with proxies...tdk is now 'anotherhamandegger', I think 9erempire is 'Gem_Archer')

looks like it'll be a fun season though...too bad my man Wade isn't looking good (given he's a notoriously slow starter, but still); if LA can turn Pau for JSmoove it would be pretty fun to watch (he could play the Marion role well enough)

my early picks:

ECF: Miami over Boston in 6
WCF: Lakers over Grizz in 6
Finals: either Lakers over Miami in 5 or Miami over Lakers in 6 (Miami HCA; gun to my head LA wins, but it depends on what Miami gets from Wade)

MVP: CP3 (can't see LeBron winning a 4th in 5 years even if he warrants it, voter fatigue)
DPOY: Dwight
FMVP: Dwight (possibly Kobe) if LA wins, LeBron if Miami wins

what's good with you?
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #18
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Deuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
not much, I've been without power for some time (I need to get back to NorCal, f*ck NYC), but everything's been fine for a few days

I went to ESPN a couple of days ago, as bad as ever (everyone has to use aliases now to remain anonymous to avoid bans, even with proxies...tdk is now 'anotherhamandegger', I think 9erempire is 'Gem_Archer')

looks like it'll be a fun season though...too bad my man Wade isn't looking good (given he's a notoriously slow starter, but still); if LA can turn Pau for JSmoove it would be pretty fun to watch (he could play the Marion role well enough)

my early picks:

ECF: Miami over Boston in 6
WCF: Lakers over Grizz in 6
Finals: either Lakers over Miami in 5 or Miami over Lakers in 6 (Miami HCA; gun to my head LA wins, but it depends on what Miami gets from Wade)

MVP: CP3 (can't see LeBron winning a 4th in 5 years even if he warrants it, voter fatigue)
DPOY: Dwight
FMVP: Dwight (possibly Kobe) if LA wins, LeBron if Miami wins

what's good with you?
Did Hurricane Sandy affect your area?
I'm good, I check up on espn every now and then for the lulz. Too lazy to even make a new account there because of getting banned so much. I love the Kobe hating threads, there the best after a Lakers loss or when Kobe has an off night.
As far as predictions, too early to tell. Lebron, KD, Paul look to be the frontrunners for the MVP, but I really think the Lakers will get it clicking and go off on a good stretch and if Kobe continues to lead the league in scoring then why not Kobe? But I'm biased obviously. It looks like Kobe could lead the league in scoring though, D'Antoni is going to coach from now on meaning the pace will be ~110 ppg per game, and I don't see how Kobe's ppg will come down. So my early biased pick is Kobe Dwight for DPOY obviously is an easy pick, he's averaging nearly 3 bpg while being 70-80% healthy.
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #19
fpliii
sick of agendas...

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Did Hurricane Sandy affect your area?
I'm good, I check up on espn every now and then for the lulz. Too lazy to even make a new account there because of getting banned so much. I love the Kobe hating threads, there the best after a Lakers loss or when Kobe has an off night.
As far as predictions, too early to tell. Lebron, KD, Paul look to be the frontrunners for the MVP, but I really think the Lakers will get it clicking and go off on a good stretch and if Kobe continues to lead the league in scoring then why not Kobe? But I'm biased obviously. It looks like Kobe could lead the league in scoring though, D'Antoni is going to coach from now on meaning the pace will be ~110 ppg per game, and I don't see how Kobe's ppg will come down. So my early biased pick is Kobe Dwight for DPOY obviously is an easy pick, he's averaging nearly 3 bpg while being 70-80% healthy.

It did affect the area, but it wasn't so much due to the intensity of the storm as the poor infrastructure (since there are rarely tropical storms, let alone hurricanes in this area).

I think Kobe has a shot, but voters are fickle...in addition to his big numbers he'll need his team to win 65 games (Dwight can't win MVP this year IMO without averaging 25/15 so Kobe won't face internal competition).

Here's a question though...would you rather Kobe win MVP/lose in Finals or win Finals MVP/win in Finals (no regular season award)? As a Wade stan I'd rather a regular season MVP personally (though his only shout is a Finals MVP if he gets hot), but a third Finals MVP puts Kobe second all-time, which could be huge). Just a thought, but I think you're more of a Lakers fan than I am a Heat fan, so you might opt for the Finals MVP regardless of the impact on Kobe's legacy.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #20
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Deuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputation

Quote:
It did affect the area, but it wasn't so much due to the intensity of the storm as the poor infrastructure (since there are rarely tropical storms, let alone hurricanes in this area).

I think Kobe has a shot, but voters are fickle...in addition to his big numbers he'll need his team to win 65 games (Dwight can't win MVP this year IMO without averaging 25/15 so Kobe won't face internal competition).

Here's a question though...would you rather Kobe win MVP/lose in Finals or win Finals MVP/win in Finals (no regular season award)? As a Wade stan I'd rather a regular season MVP personally (though his only shout is a Finals MVP if he gets hot), but a third Finals MVP puts Kobe second all-time, which could be huge). Just a thought, but I think you're more of a Lakers fan than I am a Heat fan, so you might opt for the Finals MVP regardless of the impact on Kobe's legacy.
Finals MVP without even thinking about it. The ultimate goal and accomplishment is the Championship.
I can't believe you would take a MVP award with a Finals loss over no MVP but a Finals win.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #21
fpliii
sick of agendas...

Quote:
Finals MVP without even thinking about it. The ultimate goal and accomplishment is the Championship.
I can't believe you would take a MVP award with a Finals loss over no MVP but a Finals win.

well Kobe's legacy is secure so it's probably more clear-cut with him

Wade is a fringe top-25 all-time player, so an MVP would help him garner more respect...another Finals MVP probably doesn't do anything for him (though again, he has 0% shot at an MVP...Finals MVP he at least has a chance since he only needs to show up for one series)

with an MVP people might put Wade alongside West in the conversation for number 3 SG all-time, and he could slide into the top 15 discussion (probably just falls short since the top 15 is stacked though)
Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #22
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
well Kobe's legacy is secure so it's probably more clear-cut with him

Wade is a fringe top-25 all-time player, so an MVP would help him garner more respect...another Finals MVP probably doesn't do anything for him (though again, he has 0% shot at an MVP...Finals MVP he at least has a chance since he only needs to show up for one series)

with an MVP people might put Wade alongside West in the conversation for number 3 SG all-time, and he could slide into the top 15 discussion (probably just falls short since the top 15 is stacked though)
That is so stan-like lol. But a Finals MVP would move him top 20 though. How many players have 2 FMVPs? MJ, Shaq, Magic, Duncan, Kobe, Kareem, Bird, Hakeem, Reed. That's 9 and with Wade, that's 10. West never won a MVP anyways and he's fine in the rankings. The respect thing about Wade is that his career is just not long enough with great years compared to the other top 20, 15. His peak is on par and the level of his prime is on par too, but it hasn't stretch enough years. So it isn't a matter of MVPs, it's a matter of longevity and playing in games instead of sitting out so many.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #23
fpliii
sick of agendas...

Quote:
That is so stan-like lol. But a Finals MVP would move him top 20 though. How many players have 2 FMVPs? MJ, Shaq, Magic, Duncan, Kobe, Kareem, Bird, Hakeem, Reed. That's 9 and with Wade, that's 10. West never won a MVP anyways and he's fine in the rankings. The respect thing about Wade is that his career is just not long enough with great years compared to the other top 20, 15. His peak is on par and the level of his prime is on par too, but it hasn't stretch enough years. So it isn't a matter of MVPs, it's a matter of longevity and playing in games instead of sitting out so many.

perhaps

I agree with you though for the most part...what do you think he'll have to do in order to offset the lack of longevity? Does he need multiple more Finals MVPs to crack the top 15? I think so, but don't expect this to happen. One over LA might get him close though (and securely in the top 20).
Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #24
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
perhaps

I agree with you though for the most part...what do you think he'll have to do in order to offset the lack of longevity? Does he need multiple more Finals MVPs to crack the top 15? I think so, but don't expect this to happen. One over LA might get him close though (and securely in the top 20).
If he plays another 4 seasons on the level of 2006-2011, and gets a Finals MVP along with multiple all-nba first teams. That would make a decade worth of a great prime. But he actually doesn't really need a MVP or FMVP, he already has a FMVP like West, and no MVP like West, but the gap of longevity and All-NBA First teams is big. He can't offset the longevity imo, he needs it.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #25
fpliii
sick of agendas...

Quote:
If he plays another 4 seasons on the level of 2006-2011, and gets a Finals MVP along with multiple all-nba first teams. That would make a decade worth of a great prime. But he actually doesn't really need a MVP or FMVP, he already has a FMVP like West, and no MVP like West, but the gap of longevity and All-NBA First teams is big. He can't offset the longevity imo, he needs it.

good points

BTW who do you think will be the last four in/first guys out of the top 100 all-time (kudos again for the project, I have to rep you again once I've spread it around enough to do so)?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #26
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
good points

BTW who do you think will be the last four in/first guys out of the top 100 all-time (kudos again for the project, I have to rep you again once I've spread it around enough to do so)?
Manu, Hardaway, Hawkins will be #97-99, then #100 will be a toss up of like 5 players(look at the voting results of last couple of threads).

What do you think of the list? What about where Wade is ranked?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #27
WillC
Local High School Star

WillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Walt "The 1st Coming of Tracy McGrady" Bellamy

So, a huge, lumbering pivot player called Walt Bellamy was the first coming of the ultra-athletic slashing wing player Tracy McGrady?
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #28
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter

haji_d_robertas has an OK reputation so far

Yao Ming
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #29
fpliii
sick of agendas...

Quote:
Manu, Hardaway, Hawkins will be #97-99, then #100 will be a toss up of like 5 players(look at the voting results of last couple of threads).

What do you think of the list? What about where Wade is ranked?

I think it's a good list, but certain time periods are overrated a bit it seems...it would be interesting if this was an annual thing, so we could compare player movement (I think the list from 5 years ago was bumped recently, so that isn't a terrible thing); the other issue is the ABA-NBA thing, but that's really too subjective to try to fix

I have no problem with those guys making it...I'm currently downloading archives of Lakers box scores from the mid-70s, so I'm voting for Hawk; the order may be off a little, but the top 100 all-in-all looks pretty accurate

I think Wade is ranked a few spots worse than he probably should be (same with Paul, Durant, Dwight among active players in particular), but there have been so many great players in the league's history that it's really nitpicking

Wade really gets a bad rap on this site, though I can't blame people for disliking how he plays/acts...I personally liked the edge (my favorite player before Wade was Shaq and I liked Rodman as well, so I like when guys have some edge); I'm not a RealGM guy (don't have an account) but they have the opposite going on there (ESPN is somewhere in between)

if he really is done, I'm not sure who I'll jump to next...one of CP3/KD/D12 for I guess but hopefully he bounces back and picks it up
Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Connie Hawkins
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: