Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #316
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Re: The official Raptors basketball 2012-13 game thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcogswell
Yeah he continually costs us games with his bad decisions and rotations, which wouldn't be soooo bad if we still had a draft pick, or he was at least trying to develop Val or Ross.

I get what you guys are saying... not sure I agree or disagree strongly either way.

Its just that the coaches rotations/decisions look brilliant when the team shoots 53%. The coaches rotations / decisions look assinine when the team shoots 44%.

Either way the coach doesnt shoot the ball.

No one was complaining when we beat the Knicks, Denver, etc.

Something I will lay at the door of Casey is the sustained improvement in d or lack there of. It is really fairly hard to go from (near)worst to (near) best to (really) average. Midn you this did happen in regualr - strike shortened season - now regular season. Washington has talent and some depth but they simply walked to the hoop a lot of times last night.

The media and fans layed a lot of blame at Jose and Bargnani's doorsteps but seriously this team needs to be top 10 to compete for a playoff spot in defensive efficiency.

I would assume that d efficiency will improve once Gay Klow find their rythem, and once Val and Derozan mature a bit but the coah needs to be fully accountable. I mean I think it is d efficiency that keeps earning Alan Anderson minutes in addition to his occassional hot hand...
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #317
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
I get what you guys are saying... not sure I agree or disagree strongly either way.

Its just that the coaches rotations/decisions look brilliant when the team shoots 53%. The coaches rotations / decisions look assinine when the team shoots 44%.

Either way the coach doesnt shoot the ball.

No one was complaining when we beat the Knicks, Denver, etc.

Something I will lay at the door of Casey is the sustained improvement in d or lack there of. It is really fairly hard to go from (near)worst to (near) best to (really) average. Midn you this did happen in regualr - strike shortened season - now regular season. Washington has talent and some depth but they simply walked to the hoop a lot of times last night.

The media and fans layed a lot of blame at Jose and Bargnani's doorsteps but seriously this team needs to be top 10 to compete for a playoff spot in defensive efficiency.

I would assume that d efficiency will improve once Gay Klow find their rythem, and once Val and Derozan mature a bit but the coah needs to be fully accountable. I mean I think it is d efficiency that keeps earning Alan Anderson minutes in addition to his occassional hot hand...

The team is winning in spite of Casey, the games we won I really wouldn't credit him for it.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #318
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
The team is winning in spite of Casey, the games we won I really wouldn't credit him for it.
Agreed. We are winning games in spite of Casey. I can think back to a miracle fadeaway by Derozan or Rudy going beast Mode, or a running hook shot over a center by our 6'0 pg, or Alan Anderson/JL3 becoming the second coming of Ray Allen. So many bailout games and bailout wins. He doesn't look geniuis when we win and stupid when we lose. He looks exactly the same. If we had a coach like Greg Popovic, we would actually be good at winning those tight games on a consistent basis because of much better execution and playcalling as well as better defense and sub rotations.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #319
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
Agreed. We are winning games in spite of Casey. I can think back to a miracle fadeaway by Derozan or Rudy going beast Mode, or a running hook shot over a center by our 6'0 pg, or Alan Anderson/JL3 becoming the second coming of Ray Allen. So many bailout games and bailout wins. He doesn't look geniuis when we win and stupid when we lose. He looks exactly the same. If we had a coach like Greg Popovic, we would actually be good at winning those tight games on a consistent basis because of much better execution and playcalling as well as better defense and sub rotations.

You forgot to mention winning a game because Indiana just carelessly threw the ball away at the end of the game.

Chalk me up as someone who doesn't see the strategy of "have a shitty 4th quarter due to bad rotations and poor playcalling from timeouts then hope Rudy can iso FTW" as a sign of a great coach. And really, is the bar so low in Raptorland that just having the team mostly playing hard is good enough?
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #320
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC6KE4DyjfY

Rachel McAdams at Raptors game vs Wizards.

Last edited by Legends66NBA7 : 02-27-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #321
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
....then hope Rudy can iso FTW" as a sign of a great coach. And really, is the bar so low in Raptorland that just having the team mostly playing hard is good enough?

Like I say I dont really feel strongly one way or the other... I reserve my judegement.

I am not claiming Casey is a genius (or a moron).

I will play devil's advocate and say this is literally almost the third team Casey has coached this season. The one at the begining... the one decimated by injuries.. and now the one with Rudy Gay in line up for all of 10 games or something..

Now does that make a difference ? I think it does.

Yes to a certain degree the bar is so low in Raptorland that playing hard is enough... for this season. I would say the realistic expections are (1) miss the playoffs, (2) give away the draft pick (3) see the full line up minus Bargnani, Kliza plus misc piece back... compete next season.

Then I will make up my mind.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #322
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
Like I say I dont really feel strongly one way or the other... I reserve my judegement.

I am not claiming Casey is a genius (or a moron).

I will play devil's advocate and say this is literally almost the third team Casey has coached this season. The one at the begining... the one decimated by injuries.. and now the one with Rudy Gay in line up for all of 10 games or something..

Now does that make a difference ? I think it does.

Yes to a certain degree the bar is so low in Raptorland that playing hard is enough... for this season. I would say the realistic expections are (1) miss the playoffs, (2) give away the draft pick (3) see the full line up minus Bargnani, Kliza plus misc piece back... compete next season.

Then I will make up my mind.

This is also Casey's third year with this team and he's never put together an efficient offense for us. But then I guess last year we had a shortened training camp, and the year before that was his first. Just like for Andrea there's always an excuse to keep giving chances to proven mediocre talents on this squad.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #323
DJMason
High School JV MVP

After this game I'm officially convinced that we have the worst run offense in the league. If we're forced to keep BC can we at least lose Casey? Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #324
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A game where:
Rudy scores 24 on 48% and grabs 8 rebounds and 6 assists
DeRozan scores for 34 on 53% and grabs 5 rebounds and 2 assists and gets to the line 15 times

SHOULD NOT BE LOST TO A CAVS TEAM MISSING KYRIE.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #325
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm so frustrated. Val was BEASTING in the first half. The dude was playing great defense (that 2nd foul was another one of those "rookie" calls), grabbing boards, blocking shots, and filling the lane. In the 2nd half you put in Bargnani who does absolutely nothing AGAIN, missed all his shots, grabbed ONE rebound in 15 minutes, played deplorable defense...And yet, who was in the game once again with the game on the line??? Not the guy who was making an impact, Bargnani once again. Ok now that part is out of the way.

No minutes for Ross in a game where our bench made 8 total points on 4/14 shooting. Telfair was a useless pickup I hate to say, we still don't have a legit backup point. And as DJMason said, I serious wonder about our playcalling. Everything they do out there looks totally random especially in the 4th when the game gets tight. The other team almost ALWAYS looks more prepared, offensively, defensively, everything. And we only really win if our team gets hot from the perimeter or the other team goes cold. Casey has been given way too much rope. I really hope Casey/BC are canned in the off-season.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #326
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I thought Val was gonna drop a double double the way he was playing early, probably should have played a lot more.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #327
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

1 rebound, 1 assist and 1 block

Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #328
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I thought Val was gonna drop a double double the way he was playing early, probably should have played a lot more.
Just took a quick look at the boxscore. Highest +/- on the team tonight was Val at +14 with him on the floor. -12 with Bargs. Val only had 3 fouls tonight, there's no way he should've played under 30 minutes tonight. And absolutely no reason for him to have been sitting on the bench in the 4th quarter.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #329
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I'm so frustrated. Val was BEASTING in the first half. The dude was playing great defense (that 2nd foul was another one of those "rookie" calls), grabbing boards, blocking shots, and filling the lane. In the 2nd half you put in Bargnani who does absolutely nothing AGAIN, missed all his shots, grabbed ONE rebound in 15 minutes, played deplorable defense...And yet, who was in the game once again with the game on the line??? Not the guy who was making an impact, Bargnani once again. Ok now that part is out of the way.

No minutes for Ross in a game where our bench made 8 total points on 4/14 shooting. Telfair was a useless pickup I hate to say, we still don't have a legit backup point. And as DJMason said, I serious wonder about our playcalling. Everything they do out there looks totally random especially in the 4th when the game gets tight. The other team almost ALWAYS looks more prepared, offensively, defensively, everything. And we only really win if our team gets hot from the perimeter or the other team goes cold. Casey has been given way too much rope. I really hope Casey/BC are canned in the off-season.

I agree with pretty much all of this, except I think Telfair can be a decent backup. He only played 7 minutes and it was his first game with the team. He won't be racking up the points but he will play better defence and actually pass the ball in comparison to Lucas. He would look better if anyone (besides DeMar and Rudy) could hit their shots when he gets them the ball.

Obviously I'd like to upgrade and get an even better backup for next year but for the remainder of this "playoff push" I think he will be serviceable.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #330
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
I agree with pretty much all of this, except I think Telfair can be a decent backup. He only played 7 minutes and it was his first game with the team. He won't be racking up the points but he will play better defence and actually pass the ball in comparison to Lucas. He would look better if anyone (besides DeMar and Rudy) could hit their shots when he gets them the ball.

Obviously I'd like to upgrade and get an even better backup for next year but for the remainder of this "playoff push" I think he will be serviceable.
Telfair was a non-factor in Phoenix too. Unless he has a Jerry'd Bayless-esque resurgance I see him at best being the same guy he's been the last few years of his career. Sure it's better than Lucas but that's not saying much. I don't think any playoff team would want a combo of Telfair/JL3 at backup point. But then again we're not a playoff team anyways so it doesn't matter.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: