Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
maybeshewill13
**** u Perkins u ****
 
maybeshewill13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ═sjaki
Posts: 6,219
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Lol Brandon Jennings on that list, who would have thought that coming into the season? Don't think it will last for long though..
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
yobore
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,410
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer6ad
Chris Paul - 17.0 ppg, 2.2 spg, 10.3 apg, 3.3 rpg, 47% shooting
Kyrie Irving - 24.3 ppg, 1.3 spg, 6.5 apg, 4.1 rpg, 47% shooting

And Paul is on everyone's board.

One other thing...Kyrie is not throwing lobs to Blake or Deandre, and Jamaal Crawford is not coming off his bench.

I love Chris Paul, buy Kyrie made him look silly in the head to head which Cleveland won 108-101. Please don't tell me the Clipps are better - the world knows that.
That's nice about the one-game matchup. Paul's advanced stats are on another planet from Irving's and if he kept them for a year it would make him an easy MVP most years. 131 ORTG, .332 WS48 (both would be near the highest ever for those stats). He is being extremely efficient and playing his role close to perfectly.

Last edited by yobore : 11-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
Hoopz2332
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Lebron going for that 4th MVP
Hoopz2332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 24,985
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore
That's nice about the one-game matchup. Paul's advanced stats are on another planet from Irving's and if he kept them for a year it would make him an easy MVP most years. 131 ORTG, .332 WS48 (both would be near the highest ever for those stats). He is being extremely efficient and playing his role close to perfectly.
PER
Kyrie - 23.29
CP3 - 27.75

eFG%
Kyrie - 52.8%
CP3 - 52.2%

TS%
Kyrie - 58.7%
CP3 - 61.7%


Are we really going to completely boil 'advanced stats' down to win shares and nothing else? You can cherry-pick certain statistics to support whichever argument or side you want to take.

The fact is, individually, both guys have been incredible so far this season. The biggest difference is that the Clippers are currently winning and the Cavs are not (no big surprise).

To say CP3's advanced stats are 'on another planet' is crazy, unless you are talking about very specific advanced stats. The above statistics show that, offensively, they've both been absurdly efficient point guards.

And, no... Kyrie isn't in this conversation... yet. But, if you are going to put Brandon Jennings in the conversation... Then, yes, he should also be considered despite team record. He's been that good. You just don't see 24/7/4 on 47/87/40 too often, especially from a point guard.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #20
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 17,002
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer6ad
Chris Paul - 17.0 ppg, 2.2 spg, 10.3 apg, 3.3 rpg, 47% shooting
Kyrie Irving - 24.3 ppg, 1.3 spg, 6.5 apg, 4.1 rpg, 47% shooting

And Paul is on everyone's board.

One other thing...Kyrie is not throwing lobs to Blake or Deandre, and Jamaal Crawford is not coming off his bench.

I love Chris Paul, buy Kyrie made him look silly in the head to head which Cleveland won 108-101. Please don't tell me the Clipps are better - the world knows that.

Why ignore turnovers per game, a stat that should be big for point guards in which Paul is averaging 2.1 to Irving's 4.1. Paul averages 4.82 assists per turnover, #1 among all guards and #2 overall behind Marc Gasol. In retrospect, Irving is tied #59 with Glen Davis averaging 1.58 assists per turnover. That means, Paul dishes out 3 more assists before a turnover than Kyrie

Or FGA per game, which Paul is at 11.25 to Irving's 17.75. Give Paul 7 shots more a night and he hits 3, that only gives Irving a 1.3 ppg advantage. And, to finish it all off, to win the MVP, you need to be winning, which the Cavs are not and the Clippers are.

And if you want to mention the head to head, yes, the Cavs stole one, but the stats aren't as far off as you want to make it seem. Irving took 13 shots to score a measly 7 points more. If Paul went 4-13 on the shot difference, he would've scored 1 more. Irving had one more dime, but one more giveaway, same steals, and less rebounds in 3 more minutes.


Don't get me wrong, Irving is one of the league's best, but this comparison, especially for MVP, isn't even close. Irving is probably top 10 in the argument, namely if the Cavs end up a top 6 seed somehow, but Paul has to be top 3, hands down.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T
 
inclinerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,921
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

lebron shouldnt be number 1
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #22
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year
 
Kurosawa0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,690
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inclinerator
lebron shouldnt be number 1

The guy is averaging 25, 9 and 7. Are you kidding?

No one has even been close to LeBron so far.
Kurosawa0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
(e)
MJ of ISH
 
(e)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,492
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

People need to quit over valuing stats in terms of the MVP race.

Kevin Durant is this years MVP.

Lebron definitely deserves to be in the discussion, he did win last year after all, but his division (outside of Miami) might be the worst in basketball this season.

Chris Paul deserves some recognition right now as well.
(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #24
(e)
MJ of ISH
 
(e)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,492
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Why ignore turnovers per game, a stat that should be big for point guards in which Paul is averaging 2.1 to Irving's 4.1. Paul averages 4.82 assists per turnover, #1 among all guards and #2 overall behind Marc Gasol. In retrospect, Irving is tied #59 with Glen Davis averaging 1.58 assists per turnover. That means, Paul dishes out 3 more assists before a turnover than Kyrie

Or FGA per game, which Paul is at 11.25 to Irving's 17.75. Give Paul 7 shots more a night and he hits 3, that only gives Irving a 1.3 ppg advantage. And, to finish it all off, to win the MVP, you need to be winning, which the Cavs are not and the Clippers are.

And if you want to mention the head to head, yes, the Cavs stole one, but the stats aren't as far off as you want to make it seem. Irving took 13 shots to score a measly 7 points more. If Paul went 4-13 on the shot difference, he would've scored 1 more. Irving had one more dime, but one more giveaway, same steals, and less rebounds in 3 more minutes.


Don't get me wrong, Irving is one of the league's best, but this comparison, especially for MVP, isn't even close. Irving is probably top 10 in the argument, namely if the Cavs end up a top 6 seed somehow, but Paul has to be top 3, hands down.

In Kyries defense, he doesn't have a Blake Griffin or DeAndre to throw lobs to. Let alone the amount of talent that Paul has around him. Funny thing about an assit is, that your teammate actually has to make the bucket for it to count as an assit.

Again, people need to quit over valuing stats in the MVP race.
(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #25
maybeshewill13
**** u Perkins u ****
 
maybeshewill13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ═sjaki
Posts: 6,219
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by (e)
People need to quit over valuing stats in terms of the MVP race.

Kevin Durant is this years MVP.

Lebron definitely deserves to be in the discussion, he did win last year after all, but his division (outside of Miami) might be the worst in basketball this season.

Chris Paul deserves some recognition right now as well.

Bit early to be crowning the MVP don't you think?
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #26
plowking
greeting earthlings
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: now taking over your radio
Posts: 21,511
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Its funny seeing a player like Z-Bo on the list. Can anyone imagine a player like him winning? I'm not saying it would be wrong, but the it would be the weirdest thing. With players like Wade, Melo, Durant, Westbrook, etc all not having one, and then you have Zach Randolph win... LOL.
I'd love it personally.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #27
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,110
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

How is Melo not number 1?
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #28
maybeshewill13
**** u Perkins u ****
 
maybeshewill13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ═sjaki
Posts: 6,219
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
How is Melo not number 1?
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #29
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,110
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeshewill13

Great explanation....
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #30
jdm_dc_fan
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: Race to the MVP 2012-13

MVP= best stats on a contending team.
jdm_dc_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy