Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: Jerry Jones promises he will always be GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
" If you want to think he's a good GM feel free too. I hope he stays GM forever."

Terrible GMs don't just win three SB by fluke. The current roster has enough talent to win, they need to let Garrett go after this season and find someone competent enough to. Watching the last two seasons, that is our main issue really.

More power to you then. Note that the GM is the person picking the coach but he's a great GM so i'm sure he'll pick another great coach. Just like the last two.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
franchise#3
Local High School Star

I think the problem is that the game got away from Jerry. Kinda like it got away from Al Davis. They were good in their time but in football times change and the old timers can't get it done anymore.
franchise#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

naw nothing like Al Davis...Al was running the team in his 80s and was literally senile.

granted Jerry is starting to get old now, but Al Davis was old old...like 15 years older than Jerry

it would be like that if Jerry is still the owner in 10 years, but he won't be his son will
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Nanners
College star

how much credit does jerry really deserve for those superbowls? i thought the team as basically already built when he tookover but I admit my cowboys history is spotty at best.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
how much credit does jerry really deserve for those superbowls? i thought the team as basically already built when he tookover but I admit my cowboys history is spotty at best.
All of the credit

he bought the team cleaned house and fired Tom Landry right away (some still hate that)...hired Jimmy, drafted Troy Aikman #1 overall, then Emmitt

Irvin was here, and a couple other lesser names, but it was all Jerry's team for the most part...

Old 11-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
Riddler
D-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Jimmy wanted to make draft picks and Jerry wouldn't let him...thus begins the bad relationship

those super bowl teams were drafted by JERRY...Jimmy was hired by JERRY

Wait a second... that's not what happened is it?

The bad relationship started when Jerry got drunk and stated running his mouth...

Look at Jerry's wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Jones

Quote:
After the 1993 Super Bowl victory, reports began to surface in the media that Jones had made the statement that "any one of 500 coaches could have won those Super Bowls", given the type of talent that he (Jones) had drafted and signed for the team. Jones also stated to reporters at a late night cocktail party that he intended to replace Johnson with former University of Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer. The next morning, however, Jones famously denied those reports by stating that it "was the whiskey talking". Johnson was eventually forced out in 1994 and Switzer was hired to be the new head coach.

Jimmy drafted those teams and Jerry was trying to take credit...

And that is a very $hitty thing to do.

No way in hell did Jerry make the final decisions on those drafts.
That was all Jimmy... In fact, you have it completely backwards...
Jerry Jones wanted to make all the draft picks and he knew Jimmy would
have a problem with that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

Interesting read on the Herschel Walker trade also.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
Riddler
D-94

LOL...

This is what Jerry Jones sounds like when he's drunk: (only 48 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixSxPdY9Saw
Jerry Jones on Tim Tebow and Bill Parcells

He said Bill Parcells is not worth a $hit. (while Bill was still coaching BTW)

Not good.

Last edited by Riddler : 11-06-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #23
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Maybe Jimmy was responsible for some of the picks, honestly I think the only people that know the real truth are them, but I will say this, if Jerry is going to take all tge blame for when a coach does bad, then he should sure as hell get the credit for when a coach does good...
Old 11-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #24
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
"Jimmy Johnson had more power back then clearly."

Clearly? Based on what? You think Jerry Jones would just give the majority duties to a rookie coach? Even Parcells once said "They want you to cook the dinner; at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries. Okay?"

based on everything local media has ever said about those teams.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #25
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
based on everything local media has ever said about those teams.
I don't remember it being viewed that way...

I don't know why we are to assume Jerry gave draft power to Jimmy but not those that came after...

I thought Jimmy was sick of not being able to draft who he wanted and that is what caused the split...
Old 11-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #26
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I don't remember it being viewed that way...

I don't know why we are to assume Jerry gave draft power to Jimmy but not those that came after...

I thought Jimmy was sick of not being able to draft who he wanted and that is what caused the split...

It was always viewed that way. It was the only thing i ever heard about it. Not trolling, but being told Jimmy didn't have much power at all in terms of players doesn't make sense. After he left, it was blamed on the Cowboys falling off somewaht after the final non Jimmy run.

Not trolling but that's always what the story was.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

There are two people who know the absolute truth about what happened in those rooms. The rest of us are just speculating out of our own asses.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
There are two people who know the absolute truth about what happened in those rooms. The rest of us are just speculating out of our own asses.
The difference is you and PTiddy are discussing a minority opinion and i'm discussing what the majority of the media said at the time.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Jimmy Johnson calls Jerry Jones’ G.M. claims a “crock”

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 7, 2012, 12:02 PM EST

Getty Images
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he always has been and always will be the general manager in Dallas. The former Cowboys coach who won two Super Bowls in Dallas says Jones is full of it.

Jimmy Johnson, Jones’s former college teammate who was hired by Jones to coach the Cowboys shortly after Jones bought the franchise in 1989, said on the Dan Patrick Show that Jones may claim he has always called the shots, but that the Super Bowl-winning teams of the 1990s were actually built by Johnson.

“That is completely a bunch of crock,” Johnson said. “Jerry started putting all those titles on himself after I left. He didn’t call himself general manager and president and all that stuff when I was there. He was just the owner. Because it was in my contract that I had total responsibility for all football decisions. It was in my contract, and he didn’t allow anybody to have that in their contract after I left.”

Johnson says that he takes more pride in what he did as the Cowboys’ general manager than in what he did as the Cowboys’ head coach.

“I was the personnel director there with the Cowboys,” Johnson said. “My pride was collecting the talent and putting together the team that won the Super Bowls.”

As for the current Cowboys, Johnson sees problems with the way Jones has structured the team. Johnson said that in the NFL, everyone — players, coaches, general managers, everyone — is motivated by the fear of losing their jobs. But when Jones has hired himself as general manager, there’s no fear of losing his job — and also no fear of any of Jones’s family members or other personal favorites losing their jobs.

Really, the No. 1 motivator is fear, you know, fear of maybe letting down your teammates, of being chastised or maybe losing your job. Where’s the fear in Dallas? There’s no fear in Dallas. It’s a country club where everybody’s buddies,” Johnson said.

Johnson says that Jones wants to make sure that everybody understands that he makes the final call because he owns the team. Unfortunately for Jones, everyone does know that. And everyone knows the results in the years since Jimmy Johnson’s players retired have not been good.

Permalink 1 Comment
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #30
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
Jimmy Johnson calls Jerry Jones’ G.M. claims a “crock”

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 7, 2012, 12:02 PM EST

Getty Images
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he always has been and always will be the general manager in Dallas. The former Cowboys coach who won two Super Bowls in Dallas says Jones is full of it.

Jimmy Johnson, Jones’s former college teammate who was hired by Jones to coach the Cowboys shortly after Jones bought the franchise in 1989, said on the Dan Patrick Show that Jones may claim he has always called the shots, but that the Super Bowl-winning teams of the 1990s were actually built by Johnson.

“That is completely a bunch of crock,” Johnson said. “Jerry started putting all those titles on himself after I left. He didn’t call himself general manager and president and all that stuff when I was there. He was just the owner. Because it was in my contract that I had total responsibility for all football decisions. It was in my contract, and he didn’t allow anybody to have that in their contract after I left.”

Johnson says that he takes more pride in what he did as the Cowboys’ general manager than in what he did as the Cowboys’ head coach.

“I was the personnel director there with the Cowboys,” Johnson said. “My pride was collecting the talent and putting together the team that won the Super Bowls.”

As for the current Cowboys, Johnson sees problems with the way Jones has structured the team. Johnson said that in the NFL, everyone — players, coaches, general managers, everyone — is motivated by the fear of losing their jobs. But when Jones has hired himself as general manager, there’s no fear of losing his job — and also no fear of any of Jones’s family members or other personal favorites losing their jobs.

Really, the No. 1 motivator is fear, you know, fear of maybe letting down your teammates, of being chastised or maybe losing your job. Where’s the fear in Dallas? There’s no fear in Dallas. It’s a country club where everybody’s buddies,” Johnson said.

Johnson says that Jones wants to make sure that everybody understands that he makes the final call because he owns the team. Unfortunately for Jones, everyone does know that. And everyone knows the results in the years since Jimmy Johnson’s players retired have not been good.

Permalink 1 Comment

That to me is the issue. Not the fact Jerry Jones sucks at picking which im not implying. It's the fact the GM has no accountability. THat's not a recipe for success.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: