Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Lakers beat Pistons for first win of season. Now 1-3

For once, the Lakers performed as advertised.

Dwight Howard dominated in the post. The Lakers actually played defense.

And Kobe Bryant didn't have to take over, thanks to his supporting cast.

All of those ingredients ensured the Lakers' first win of the season, a 108-79 victory over the Detroit Pistons on Sunday at Staples Center.

It's actually the team's first win in 14 games, counting its eight preseason losses and exit from the 2012 Western Conference semifinals. The Lakers (1-3) also avoided joining the 1957-58 Minneapolis team as the only squads in franchise history to start the season 0-4.

-- LA Daily News
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Lakers beat Pistons for first win of season. Now 1-3

A lot of people are saying things such as "well it was only detroit". That statement is true to an extent. What people don't mention about the game is the different style of play by the lakers.

The most important factor was that the lakers played inspiring, energetic, and passionate defense which resulted, whether it was going to be against a great team or a bad team, in a beautiful win. A win that the fans want to see on most nights. The lakers have all the talent in the world. Even with the Nash injury, they still have Dwight, the best of centers. They also have Kobe, the best of guards.

Another point to focus on. Steve Blake had a very nice game. He is the guard that the princeton offense requires. The offense is perfect for his style because he can score just as well as he can pass.

Bench production:

Very solid. I have been mentioning Darius Morris since last season even when he was committing bone headed plays. I've always loved his potential. He's the best ball handler I've seen on the lakers for a long time. He kept the bench play going and finally showed he can hang.

Who knows, maybe he is our future.

Great game, lets hope the coaching staff and the players are on the same page for the next game!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
A lot of people are saying things such as "well it was only detroit". That statement is true to an extent. What people don't mention about the game is the different style of play by the lakers.

The most important factor was that the lakers played inspiring, energetic, and passionate defense which resulted, whether it was going to be against a great team or a bad team, in a beautiful win. A win that the fans want to see on most nights. The lakers have all the talent in the world. Even with the Nash injury, they still have Dwight, the best of centers. They also have Kobe, the best of guards.

Another point to focus on. Steve Blake had a very nice game. He is the guard that the princeton offense requires. The offense is perfect for his style because he can score just as well as he can pass.

Bench production:

Very solid. I have been mentioning Darius Morris since last season even when he was committing bone headed plays. I've always loved his potential. He's the best ball handler I've seen on the lakers for a long time. He kept the bench play going and finally showed he can hang.

Great game, lets hope the coaching staff and the players are on the same page for the next game!

LMFAO.......if only every team was as bad as Detroit
Keep your enthusiasm kid BUT......we'll always give you a dose of reality
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
LMFAO.......if only every team was as bad as Detroit
Keep your enthusiasm kid BUT......we'll always give you a dose of reality

Come on DK. You're better than that. That's all you have to say?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
DKLaker

Quote:
Come on DK. You're better than that. That's all you have to say?

What is there to say? Wow, we crushed that horribly inept team?
Let's plan the championship parade? We showed the Pistons who is better?
Do you realize how many games I have seen since 1960? How many games I have coached? And yet you are looking for me to get excited and comment because we beat a really crappy team.....as if it means anything?
Trust me, we will not be playing against a team like Detroit in the playoffs.
Do you know how it feels to coach against a team that bad, and blow them out.......embarrassing. If you have a close game or lose.....more embarrassing.
There is no glory in it. I coach to destroy the other team and love it when we blow out a good-great team.....that actually gets me excited.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Do you realize how many games I have seen since 1960? How many games I have coached? And yet you are looking for me to get excited and comment because we beat a really crappy team.....as if it means anything?
Do you know how it feels to coach against a team that bad, and blow them out.......embarrassing. If you have a close game or lose.....more embarrassing.
There is no glory in it. I coach to destroy the other team and love it when we blow out a good-great team.....that actually gets me excited.

Thats not what I was saying though. I was saying the energy on defense was there. It wasn't there the 3 games before that.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Quote:

Bench production:

I've always liked Morris too. I've been saying it since he was drafted. He's a guy that really could be a productive player for the Lakers. He has size, speed, and he can handle the rock. I wish he'd get more of a chance. He should be getting more of Blake's minutes. I would think there'd be more Lakers fans rooting for this guy to succeed since this is his hometown.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Quote:

You're making the Pistons sound worse than they are. Sure they'll likely be in the lottery again this year, but they do have some very good young talent on that team. That front line of Drummond & Monroe could be one of the better ones in the league in a year or two. One big question mark for the Lakers this year was if their legs would be able to keep up with some of the younger teams in the league. While it's not a great win, it did show some good signs of things to come for LA. I'm not getting overly excited about it, but there's definitely some positives to take away from it.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
You're making the Pistons sound worse than they are. Sure they'll likely be in the lottery again this year, but they do have some very good young talent on that team. That front line of Drummond & Monroe could be one of the better ones in the league in a year or two. One big question mark for the Lakers this year was if their legs would be able to keep up with some of the younger teams in the league. While it's not a great win, it did show some good signs of things to come for LA. I'm not getting overly excited about it, but there's definitely some positives to take away from it.

Exactly. Guys like Stuckey were doing their thing and using their own talents to get wide open shots. Luckily they missed some, but half of the time or more, the laker guards were doing a spectacular job keeping up. Dwight shut down the paint completely and Gasol played harder than I'd seen him since he first came to Los Angeles.

I have to also give credit to Steve Blake for having himself a nice game. He hit some shots but more importantly, he had 6 assists and played great defense, as he always does.

To be even more frank, I expected there to be an improvement after Nash went down defensively. It's difficult for Nash to keep up. When Blake is in there, by default there was an improvement in the defense. Either that or I'd give credit to the coaching staff for their adjustments, but I don't think DK would like that very much.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24

LMAO......."Sure they'll likely be in the lottery again"........that is your defense?
That's like a murder trial defense lawyer saying "He only killed him a little"
Obviously they are not the level of competition we need to be able to beat....so until we beat a very good team there is nothing to really get pumped up about IMO.
The fact that Steve Blake looked good supports my point......we KNOW better.....lol.
Lakerfreak.....energy on defense again is moot, energy itself doesn't equal good defense....it is important yes, but weaknesses are not exposed by bad teams. Be glad we won...sure, I'm glad we won.....but that's all that can really be said about 1 game......show me a team in NBA history that didn't look good for at least 1 game......lol. Even Smush Parker and Kwame had All-Star level games......but the HOF will not be calling

Last edited by DKLaker : 11-06-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
LMAO......."Sure they'll likely be in the lottery again"........that is your defense?
That's like a murder trial defense lawyer saying "He only killed him a little"
Obviously they are not the level of competition we need to be able to beat....so until we beat a very good team there is nothing to really get pumped up about IMO.
The fact that Steve Blake looked good supports my point......we KNOW better.....lol.
Lakerfreak.....energy on defense again is moot, energy itself doesn't equal good defense....it is important yes, but weaknesses are not exposed by bad teams. Be glad we won...sure, I'm glad we won.....but that's all that can really be said about 1 game......show me a team in NBA history that didn't look good for at least 1 game......lol. Even Smush Parker and Kwame had All-Star level games......but the HOF will not be calling

I guess the only way to settle this is to see how they do the next few games. Assuming they play with that same energy they had last time.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
DKLaker

Quote:
I guess the only way to settle this is to see how they do the next few games. Assuming they play with that same energy they had last time.

Of course I HOPE we will begin to dominate all of the competition......the REAL competition.

On a FAR MORE IMPORTANT NOTE: Everyone needs to get out and vote today...your lives and your freedoms greatly depend on it!!!!!!!!!!!

Not telling you WHO to vote for....just vote what you believe in.

DKLaker = Obama Contributor / Volunteer
Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #13
mr sax
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Of course I HOPE we will begin to dominate all of the competition......the REAL competition.

On a FAR MORE IMPORTANT NOTE: Everyone needs to get out and vote today...your lives and your freedoms greatly depend on it!!!!!!!!!!!

Not telling you WHO to vote for....just vote what you believe in.

DKLaker = Obama Contributor / Volunteer

Yes, let's see if the politicians in Washington can spend another five trillion dollars. Why not try for ten trillion?
mr sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sax
Yes, let's see if the politicians in Washington can spend another five trillion dollars. Why not try for ten trillion?

Haha....I figured you for a republican
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
mr sax
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Haha....I figured you for a republican

I am not a registered Republican but why would you assume that? Because I don't agree with everything you say? Is being concerned about the national debt exclusive to only Republicans?

The national debt bothers me while Mike Brown bothers you. Go figure.

My father always told me to never argue with a fool. I should have listened to him.

Last edited by mr sax : 11-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.
mr sax is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: