Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Mgamer20o0 has decent reputationMgamer20o0 has decent reputation
Default Cox Cable and Time Warner Cable at odds over Lakers channel

how many games do you expect to watch this year?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7028454.story

Quote:
The first regular season Los Angeles Lakers game scheduled to air on Time Warner Cable's new SportsNet channel is just a week away and the cable company still does not have any distribution deals with other pay-TV providers in the region.

If Time Warner Cable doesn't get deals done soon, millions of Lakers fans will be missing a lot of basketball.

On Wednesday, Cox Cable, which has 1.2 million subscribers in Southern California, primarily in Orange County and San Diego, said its offer to carry SportsNet and Time Warner Cable's Spanish-language sports channel Deportes on a specialty tier along with other sports channels was rebuffed.

"We are committed to meeting the needs of all Cox customers, not just sports fans," Cox said in a statement, adding that "the price for the Lakers is one of the highest wholesale prices that we have seen."

Time Warner Cable is seeking as much as $3.95 per-month, per-subscriber for the two channels. The two channels launched Oct. 1. Besides the Lakers, SportsNet and Deportes also carry the Los Angeles Galaxy soccer team. Time Warner Cable is also expected to pursue rights to the Dodgers, whose contract with Fox's Prime Ticket regional sports channel expires after next season.

"I think it is extremely expensive for basically a one-team channel," said Dave Bialis, senior vice president of Cox's California operations.

Although Cox offered to make the two channels available on an a la carte basis, Time Warner Cable has consistently said that it wants the channels available to as many homes as possible and not sold separately.

"Wed like to see flexibility in the offering and allow our customers to have more say," Bialis said.

A Time Warner Cable spokesman did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

For Time Warner Cable, the channels are a big bet. The company acquired the rights to the Lakers in a $3-billion, 20-year deal. Previously, the Lakers had been carried primarily by Fox Sports West, which is another regional sports network owned by Fox.

Besides Cox, the other major distributors that Time Warner Cable needs to have on board include satellite broadcasters DirecTV and Dish Network.

SportsNet and Deportes will carry 53 of the Lakers' 82 games. The rest are national games that will be telecast by ESPN, TNT and ABC.
Mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Cox Cable and Time Warner Cable at odds over Lakers channel

With FIOS getting more and more popular there's going to be a lot of us that can't watch.... I got rid of the cable well over a year ago and FIOS is a million times better. Looks like ESPN highlights will be what I'm stuck with most the time.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Im depressed
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Im depressed
tell me about it.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgamer20o0
tell me about it.

I lost ten lbs...not even joking. Whether we choose to blame TWC for this or not is up to you :). It makes for a dramatic story.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
m1sterb
Great young streetballer

m1sterb has not been impressing people
Thumbs up Re: Cox Cable and Time Warner Cable at odds over Lakers channel

Not anymore - Cox just picked it up and will be available for the Utah Jazz on Wednesday.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/net...s-shouldn.html

Nice!!
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

do those whose cable providers have gone ahead and made the deal with TWC, did your current provider send you something in the mail or email or something to tell you that you can now watch Lakers games?

A buddy at work didn't get any notice, and only found out when he was channel surfing.

I got Dish, I would hope to get something from them telling me that its a go (when and if they do come to an agreement), and what channel and all that. Pretty lame how all them kept us in limbo and we gotta search and find out on our own that we can finally watch the damn game

and will they charge us more than our typical bill for it?
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Im getting pissed off now....

Im with Dish as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
do those whose cable providers have gone ahead and made the deal with TWC, did your current provider send you something in the mail or email or something to tell you that you can now watch Lakers games?

A buddy at work didn't get any notice, and only found out when he was channel surfing.

I got Dish, I would hope to get something from them telling me that its a go (when and if they do come to an agreement), and what channel and all that. Pretty lame how all them kept us in limbo and we gotta search and find out on our own that we can finally watch the damn game

no they most likely wont send you anything just keep a eye out with the news. some are trying to put it in their sports package or just charge extra money for it but twc wants it as a basic station so they get more money from what i have read.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
m1sterb
Great young streetballer

m1sterb has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke

I found out by actively searching for it.

And no, no emails from them at all. I'm still interested when dish and direcTV cave in, so if and when they do I will provide an update.
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

^

thx fellas

its just extremely frustrating and Im sure you've all felt the same
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hasn't Dish network traditionally been slow to negotiate with the various providers? Seems I'm always reading something about Dish and it's negotiations with cable outlets and content providers.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
Hasn't Dish network traditionally been slow to negotiate with the various providers? Seems I'm always reading something about Dish and it's negotiations with cable outlets and content providers.
depends on how you see negotiating. they dont jump in and pay what ever they are asking they seem to hold out trying to get a better deal witch in theory saves their customers money.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

I just called Direct-TV and all they could offer me was lakers away game only. Any help available out there?????

Help.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I have FIOS and they have the channel. I'm able to get all the games. If it's in your area and you're looking to switch that's an option.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: