Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Is Lakers depth a problem?

San Antonio Express-News Blog:

With head coach Mike Brown choosing to keep his starters together rather than stagger their substitutions, Sunday’s game, in which the Lakers’ reserves were run off the court while playing en masse, wasn’t an accurate gauge of what their rotation will look like during the regular season.

But what we’ve seen so far this preseason has to be unsettling for the Lakers. While Jordan Hill and Jodie Meeks should be solid, Antawn Jamison might not even be good enough to be considered washed up, and point guards Steve Blake and Chris Duhon form one of the worst reserve tandems in recent memory.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is Lakers depth a problem?

During the regular season it will probably cost them a few games. During the playoffs you typically only have about a 8 man rotation anyhow. I think depth is vastly over rated during the playoffs. The only concern for me is PG. It would be nice to have a solid backup for Nash. Preferably, it would be a PG that could actually play defense too.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

kkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
During the regular season it will probably cost them a few games. During the playoffs you typically only have about a 8 man rotation anyhow. I think depth is vastly over rated during the playoffs. The only concern for me is PG. It would be nice to have a solid backup for Nash. Preferably, it would be a PG that could actually play defense too.

I agree with this for the most part. I do think that there is a possibility that either Darius Morris or Darius Johnson Odom will step upand become a good enough defender to help the team this year. They have the type of athleticism and quickness we're going to need to deal with Westbrook, Lawson, Parker, and/or Paul come playoff time. DJO could be the next Tony Allen of the NBA. This kid is as tough and athletic as they come.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think those guys could step up too. I just haven't seen much of them and I wonder if they're really going to get a chance. I've always liked Morris's game and have mentioned it a few times on here. I just think he needs more experience and an opportunity.

Edit: Johnny Flynn and Terrence Williams are available again too.....
Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

DirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat cool

I can't help thinking we might of missed out on some other key off season signings. Like a CJ Watson or something.
But yeah agreed if anything a good back up PG for Nash is what's missing. Would of loved Sessions off the bench.

But come playoff time agreed....this te is built to dominate with a seven to 8 man rotation. I think Jamison will be huge for this team it's still early.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

it is because we are paying Blake 4mil = 8mil total. Duhon 3.6 = 7.2 & Clark 1.2 = 2.4 so thats total waste of 17.6million on players who wont do SH!T for us

while brooks signed for 3mil, CJ Watson signed for 1mil, barbosa signed for 1mil, matt barnes signed for min, randy foye signed for 2mil...on and on and on....
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
TryToBeUnbias
Decent college freshman

TryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I think those guys could step up too. I just haven't seen much of them and I wonder if they're really going to get a chance. I've always liked Morris's game and have mentioned it a few times on here. I just think he needs more experience and an opportunity.

Edit: Johnny Flynn and Terrence Williams are available again too.....

I remember Stu saying that he (Morris) was a two year project so maybe well see more from him next season.

But some experience this season would probably be crucial to his development.

Last edited by TryToBeUnbias : 10-23-2012 at 04:18 PM.
TryToBeUnbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
it is because we are paying Blake 4mil = 8mil total. Duhon 3.6 = 7.2 & Clark 1.2 = 2.4 so thats total waste of 17.6million on players who wont do SH!T for us

while brooks signed for 3mil, CJ Watson signed for 1mil, barbosa signed for 1mil, matt barnes signed for min, randy foye signed for 2mil...on and on and on....

Those are old contracts before the new CBA. At the time Blake at 4 million per season seemed like it was a great deal. Hindsight 20/20 it really didn't work out. Who knows, maybe if any of those other guys came to LA they'd be busts on the bench too.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Those are old contracts before the new CBA. At the time Blake at 4 million per season seemed like it was a great deal. Hindsight 20/20 it really didn't work out. Who knows, maybe if any of those other guys came to LA they'd be busts on the bench too.
Old CBA used the same tax rate as they are using now so your post makes no sense. New tax system has not come into effect yet.

On to the topic, the bench has yet to build an identity, injuries have shaken up the roster enough that we won't see the true bench until they stop filling in for starters and the normal bench rotation is put into action. You have your starting center his back up and the first PF off the bench all missing the preseason games. That put pressure on the perimeter role players since there was no reason to even guard the paint. When Jamison and Hill are back in the rotation then Pau and Howard can overlap on substitutions and you have solid interior presence. When your only back up big man on the floor is Robert Sacre you're going to leave your perimeter exposed to a lot of defensive attention
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
Old CBA used the same tax rate as they are using now so your post makes no sense. New tax system has not come into effect yet.

Makes perfect sense to me. Nobody knew two years ago what the new CBA would bring so teams were still over paying for players like Blake. The contract he has is what the market determined for him. He actually could've got more money elsewhere. There was a comparison made with players who signed a contract this year. Since teams know the implications of what will happen in the future they are being more conservative financially. The contracts that were mentioned are what the market dictated. It's really tough to compare the two years for signing people. Not to mention you'll see teams trying to get way under the cap for 2014 which all starts right now.....
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:

Actually those are not all old contracts and I agree with him.
We need to make every effort to dump the waste we have and replace them with 1 solid player for the bench. Damn, you guys have no idea how bad I have always wanted Aaron Brooks on this team. We should've drafted him like I wanted us to but we blew it horribly. Brooks would not be a bust for us nor any other team, he's a flat out baller!!!!
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Actually those are not all old contracts and I agree with him.
We need to make every effort to dump the waste we have and replace them with 1 solid player for the bench. Damn, you guys have no idea how bad I have always wanted Aaron Brooks on this team. We should've drafted him like I wanted us to but we blew it horribly. Brooks would not be a bust for us nor any other team, he's a flat out baller!!!!

I'm not saying I want Blake on the team, but everybody seems to forget that was a bargain at the time. Of course now that he hasn't produced we want him out of here. Like I said in the previous thread, hindsight is 20/20. The Lakers are going to be stuck with some of these contracts. Having contracts that come off the books in 2014 isn't the worst thing to have anyhow. Those will be gold.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
DKLaker

Quote:
I'm not saying I want Blake on the team, but everybody seems to forget that was a bargain at the time. Of course now that he hasn't produced we want him out of here. Like I said in the previous thread, hindsight is 20/20. The Lakers are going to be stuck with some of these contracts. Having contracts that come off the books in 2014 isn't the worst thing to have anyhow. Those will be gold.

We were able to dump Luke Walton, Blake won't be anywhere near as hard to dump if we really want to. Do it Mitch!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
We were able to dump Luke Walton, Blake won't be anywhere near as hard to dump if we really want to. Do it Mitch!!!!

If there is anything that I learned, it's actually quite possible to get rid of the contract (although I wouldn't be so quick to do so considering Chris Duhon's play as of late), and they usually have to be deals with crappy teams who can't get stars but need any decent role player out there so they don't look completely crappy.

Steve Blake isn't a bad player, but like most other players, we've asked him to adapt to his role. I know what you're going to say here and its that he's had OK stats on bad teams, and thats completely true. The thing is, on bad teams, coaches don't really have what it takes to coach, so it usually results in these guys having more freedom on the court. Funny how it works. Guys like Phil Jackson and Larry Brown gave no freedom to most of their players, but came away successful.

Steve Blake is on this team where there isn't much freedom (Historically speaking, Mike Brown isn't up to par lol), and as a result, his numbers aren't as high because he simply isn't comfortable playing.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
If there is anything that I learned, it's actually quite possible to get rid of the contract (although I wouldn't be so quick to do so considering Chris Duhon's play as of late), and they usually have to be deals with crappy teams who can't get stars but need any decent role player out there so they don't look completely crappy.

Steve Blake isn't a bad player, but like most other players, we've asked him to adapt to his role. I know what you're going to say here and its that he's had OK stats on bad teams, and thats completely true. The thing is, on bad teams, coaches don't really have what it takes to coach, so it usually results in these guys having more freedom on the court. Funny how it works. Guys like Phil Jackson and Larry Brown gave no freedom to most of their players, but came away successful.

Steve Blake is on this team where there isn't much freedom (Historically speaking, Mike Brown isn't up to par lol), and as a result, his numbers aren't as high because he simply isn't comfortable playing.

It's not freedom........it's pressure that is Blake's problem.
In LA you're expected to hit every big shot, win every big game......and everyone is watching. Blake did his best with teams that no one cared about, no one watching and losing was expected.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: