Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

I missed his free agency news and I could of sworn they were set on re-signing and he was set on staying. I think no matter who's to blame it sucks because he was a very nice fit and even now could help that team a lot.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports
 
All Net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,707
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Who signed him then?
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick
 
ChuckOakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Western Mass-hole
Posts: 5,197
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Only had the tax MLE to spend on him, but chose Teletovic since they didn't have a single PF and thought highly of him.

I think it will turn out to be a regret as I think Green was worth a full MLE if not more. I would give Wilson Chandler money to Green.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.
 
StroShow4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NBA247365.COM
Posts: 26,179
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
Who signed him then?

Pacers. He's playing well in preseason, averaging 12.6 PPG on 52%.

Last edited by StroShow4 : 10-21-2012 at 04:05 PM.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
Pacers. He's playing well in preseason, averaging 12.6 PG on 52%.

It's just sad to me because I remember Green coming out in the media and saying he would absolutely take a pay cut to stay in NJ for loyalty purposes. Mentioned how the Nets gave him a second chance at the NBA and he wants to return the favor. It was one of the best stories in the NBA last year.

This is why I laugh when players are the only ones held to a loyalty standard. Yet he clearly wanted to return and the team chose an unknown PF over him to spurn him? I would have brought Green back for mini mid or w/e Oakley is saying they had above and signed a couple minimum contract veteran bigs.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick
 
ChuckOakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Western Mass-hole
Posts: 5,197
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
It's just sad to me because I remember Green coming out in the media and saying he would absolutely take a pay cut to stay in NJ for loyalty purposes. Mentioned how the Nets gave him a second chance at the NBA and he wants to return the favor. It was one of the best stories in the NBA last year.

This is why I laugh when players are the only ones held to a loyalty standard. Yet he clearly wanted to return and the team chose an unknown PF over him to spurn him? I would have brought Green back for mini mid or w/e Oakley is saying they had above and signed a couple minimum contract veteran bigs.
How did they do it to spurn him?
They had JJ, G.Wall, Brooks and Shengelia on the wings, not a single PF. They thought they still had a chance at Dwight and Tele would have been a great compliment.

GG got his money and will probably have a bigger role on a better team in Indy. He's happy and the Nets think they made the right call at the time.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
How did they do it to spurn him?
They had JJ, G.Wall, Brooks and Shengelia on the wings, not a single PF. They thought they still had a chance at Dwight and Tele would have been a great compliment.

GG got his money and will probably have a bigger role on a better team in Indy. He's happy and the Nets think they made the right call at the time.

You were just saying you think they should have kept him with mini mid now you're saying they made the right call, which is it. How rare is it that a player wants to stay that bad and isn't going to gouge you for money after a great season? It was meant to be it seemed like. I call it spurning when you gamble on an unknown player instead of keeping the player who had a breakout year on your team.

As I said what the Nets get from Telekovic or w/e... can easily be had in some minimum contract, NBA experience veteran bigs IMO.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick
 
ChuckOakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Western Mass-hole
Posts: 5,197
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
You were just saying you think they should have kept him with mini mid now you're saying they made the right call, which is it. How rare is it that a player wants to stay that bad and isn't going to gouge you for money after a great season? It was meant to be it seemed like. I call it spurning when you gamble on an unknown player instead of keeping the player who had a breakout year on your team.

As I said what the Nets get from Telekovic or w/e... can easily be had in some minimum contract, NBA experience veteran bigs IMO.
You think I am Billy King?
Otherwise I see no conflict in the statements I said.

And no, Teletovic was weighing offers from other teams including the full MLE which BK originally offered him but asked him to take the tax MLE so they weren't bound to a $74m cap.

Yes there was a mutual want, but it didn't work out for those two parties together but perhaps separately it will. And BTW if GG really really wanted to be in BK he could have taken a one year deal and waited for next years tax MLE. He didn't, nor should have.....but could have.

Don't get your agenda here. There is no ill will between the two sides , so not sure why you are painting the Nets as 'spurning' him.

Last edited by ChuckOakley : 10-21-2012 at 04:25 PM.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
ZenMaster
Whap'em
 
ZenMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,942
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
You were just saying you think they should have kept him with mini mid now you're saying they made the right call, which is it. How rare is it that a player wants to stay that bad and isn't going to gouge you for money after a great season? It was meant to be it seemed like. I call it spurning when you gamble on an unknown player instead of keeping the player who had a breakout year on your team.

As I said what the Nets get from Telekovic or w/e... can easily be had in some minimum contract, NBA experience veteran bigs IMO.

Absolutely, the waiver wire is filled with elite 6-9 3pt shooters..
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Since when have stretch 4's been necessary to win titles? And don't say Bosh because he's a very complete player. Guys in the Channing Frye mold aren't a requirement.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
ZenMaster
Whap'em
 
ZenMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,942
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Since when have stretch 4's been necessary to win titles? And don't say Bosh because he's a very complete player. Guys in the Channing Frye mold aren't a requirement.

The last 2 NBA champions has played shooting 4's in the most important games of their seasons.

Lot of NBA teams want to play 4-1 or close to it because of the strength of their players, in this case Deron Williams and JJ in particular both being good pickn'roll + drive and kick players. Players like Teletovic provide a dilemma for the regular shot blocking 4, good guards like the Nets have exploit this dilemma.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,951
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
You were just saying you think they should have kept him with mini mid now you're saying they made the right call, which is it. How rare is it that a player wants to stay that bad and isn't going to gouge you for money after a great season? It was meant to be it seemed like. I call it spurning when you gamble on an unknown player instead of keeping the player who had a breakout year on your team.

As I said what the Nets get from Telekovic or w/e... can easily be had in some minimum contract, NBA experience veteran bigs IMO.


Right now the unknown Telekovic>>>>>>>Lamar Odom. How much is Lamar getting paid again?
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
The last 2 NBA champions has played shooting 4's in the most important games of their seasons.

Lot of NBA teams want to play 4-1 or close to it because of the strength of their players, in this case Deron Williams and JJ in particular both being good pickn'roll + drive and kick players. Players like Teletovic provide a dilemma for the regular shot blocking 4, good guards like the Nets have exploit this dilemma.

Dirk is far more than a stretch 4 and so is Bosh. Besides they are perennial all stars, not bench players. Bottom line is Green should have been signed over an unproven stretch 4 from Europe
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Right now the unknown Telekovic>>>>>>>Lamar Odom. How much is Lamar getting paid again?

Your favorite words.. Pre-season. Telekovic may ride the pine all year long for all we know. Hasn't played a single NBA game so labeling him as flat out better than proven NBA players speaks the the level of butthurt you're still enduring.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,951
Default Re: Why did the Nets let go of Gerald Green again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Dirk is far more than a stretch 4 and so is Bosh. Besides they are perennial all stars, not bench players. Bottom line is Green should have been signed over an unproven stretch 4 from Europe

Green was unproven a year ago. Obviously the Nets think they made the right move. Time will tell.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy