Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman
 
SyRyanYang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKLD,NZ
Posts: 2,729
SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
So how does that make him a better mid-range shooter again?

Yeah, MJ had a higher TS and FG% but that's because he was the better decision maker and had a better shot selection, not because he was necessarily a better mid-range shooter.
Great logic
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
RRR3
Where the White Women?
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,388
RRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Better than who? Brian Cardinal? Context, m'boy, context.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman
 
SyRyanYang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKLD,NZ
Posts: 2,729
SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Better than who? Brian Cardinal? Context, m'boy, context.
The Only one worth a comparison. Don't pretend you don't know who am I talking about
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
RRR3
Where the White Women?
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,388
RRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
The Only one worth a comparison. Don't pretend you don't know who am I talking about
You're saying there's only one player in the history of the NBA worth comparing to Michael Jordan? That sounds like hyperbole to me.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman
 
SyRyanYang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKLD,NZ
Posts: 2,729
SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
You're saying there's only one player in the history of the NBA worth comparing to Michael Jordan? That sounds like hyperbole to me.
lol mid-range wise. Why you keep quoting me out of context
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
RRR3
Where the White Women?
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,388
RRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
lol mid-range wise. Why you keep quoting me out of context
You're saying there's only one NBA player ever comparable to MJ in midrange shooting? That again sounds like hyperbole.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare
 
kNIOKAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,169
kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

[IMG]http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t321/zdog90210blog/my%20thoughts/*****20you20hilarious.jpg[/IMG]
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman
 
SyRyanYang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKLD,NZ
Posts: 2,729
SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
You're saying there's only one NBA player ever comparable to MJ in midrange shooting? That again sounds like hyperbole.
Anyone is comparable. But only a couple are close.
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
ralph_i_el
The Wizard
 
ralph_i_el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: >implying
Posts: 3,798
ralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputationralph_i_el has a terrific reputation
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
The Only one worth a comparison. Don't pretend you don't know who am I talking about

larry bird?

larry was probably better dude
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman
 
SyRyanYang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKLD,NZ
Posts: 2,729
SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
larry bird?

larry was probably better dude

I don't like the idea of comparing players from different positions. I think Dirk is a great mid-range shooter too but I won't compare him to MJ
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Mach_3
Local High School Star
 
Mach_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,384
Mach_3 has decent reputationMach_3 has decent reputation
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
larry bird?

larry was probably better dude

Larry was a better mid range shooter.

But back on topic part of the reason Michael was a better mid range shooter (then kobe) was because he was able to get better looks at the basket. He was a better shooter period from the midrange regardless though
Mach_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman
 
SyRyanYang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKLD,NZ
Posts: 2,729
SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_3
Larry was a better mid range shooter.

But back on topic part of the reason Michael was a better mid range shooter (then kobe) was because he was able to get better looks at the basket. He was a better shooter period from the midrange regardless though
I disagree that Larry was better but it's debatable.
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Mach_3
Local High School Star
 
Mach_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,384
Mach_3 has decent reputationMach_3 has decent reputation
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
I disagree that Larry was better but it's debatable.

Of course it is but you honestly can't go wrong with either one
Mach_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
jstern
College star
 
jstern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,760
jstern has decent reputationjstern has decent reputation
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

I say Jordan is the better shooter simply because he had a better concentration and emotional control. Remember, when Jordan came into the league, he didn't care about shooting 3s, yet the 1st season where he decided to make it part of his game, rather than just shooting bailout ones (1989-90), he shot better than all off Kobe's 16 seasons, but one (2002-03). And I'm including Kobe's rookie year where he had the short line.

Jordan was always consider the better midrange shooter, so it didn't make sense about the 3 pointers until I started looking at the numbers. The more Jordan shoots, the better the rhythm, the less bailout 3 pointers.

Whenever Jordan took a significant amount like Kobe, or most players for that matter, their rhythm is better and their percentages goes up.

Last edited by jstern : 10-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,988
andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern
I say Jordan is the better shooter simply because he had a better concentration and emotional control. Remember, when Jordan came into the league, he didn't care about shooting 3s, yet the 1st season where he decided to make it part of his game, rather than just shooting bailout ones (1989-90), he shot better than all off Kobe's 16 seasons, but one (2002-03). And I'm including Kobe's rookie year where he had the short line.

Like, Jordan was always consider the better midrange shooter, so it didn't make sense about the 3 pointers until I started looking at the numbers. The more Jordan shoots, the better the rhythm, the less bailout 3 pointers.

Whenever Jordan took a significant amount like Kobe, or most players for that matter, their rhythm is better and their percentages goes up.

To be fair, MJ shot less 3pointers than Kobe.

But, I don't think the numbers will change dramatically. There's even some evidence that suggests that that the more 3s MJ takes per game, the better his efficiency is. I don't doubt that his efficiency would stay relatively the same if he shot as many as Kobe does.

The problem with Kobe isn't that he takes 3s, its the 'type' of 3s he takes. He forces too many bad shots.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy