Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 10-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsCaptain
I use my Heavy class as my overwatch and frontlines guy.

Firing the primary weapon as the first action no longer ends the turn.
-Great for if the enemy moves to where you are in a dangerous spot but want to shoot first before retreating.
Can fire a special shot that grants reaction fire at a single target. The target also suffers a -30 Aim penalty
-Great if the enemy is trying to get a shot off on 1 of ur squad members.
Confers a second reaction shot if on Overwatch and the first reaction shot is a hit.
-Why I like to put him upfront and on overwatch.

In terms of reaction shots and suppression you can spec a support to do basically the exact same thing. With the addition of smoke grenades and the ability to carry additional items. Key here though is that the support class actually hits on there reaction shots most of the time, while the heavies miss at a much higher rate.

Being able to fire to start a turn is a bonus I guess, but imo this advantage is vastly diminished by their terrible aiming.

The only thing I really like is their heat ammo ability. Get them in close enough and heavies can bring a world of pain to those robotic enemies. But then, if pure damage dealing is the key I could bring an extra sniper.

I can see in the 2k thread that some guys have some interesting builds though, but then again I'm pretty happy with my 2 assault/2 support/2 sniper build atm.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

I recently picked up Braid, BioShock and XCOM.
I haven't stopped playing for 6 days now, already beat BioShock (what an experience, I am totally blown away) and am having a blast with Braid (one of the very best modern games I have ever played, up there with Uncharted, GTA and RDR IMO)...and just last night starter playing XCOM.

Not really used to these type of games, so I am a little overwhelmed but it looks really fun, I am just very bad at it right now.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
falc39
Good High School Starter

falc39 has decent reputation

Anyone want to give a quick review of the pros and cons vs the original X-Com?

I spent a lot of hours playing the original and loved it, it was the GOAT game of my youth. Haven't had much time to play the games out now but would like to know what they improved on and what was left out or still done better in the original.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You could read this, slightly pretentious, review:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/201...ears-to-write/
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
shoops
High School JV MVP

shoops has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc39
Anyone want to give a quick review of the pros and cons vs the original X-Com?

I spent a lot of hours playing the original and loved it, it was the GOAT game of my youth. Haven't had much time to play the games out now but would like to know what they improved on and what was left out or still done better in the original.
I feel that this game is not really that similar, the similarities are maybe skin deep, the basic style, turn-based tactics and aliens and all. But the gameplay in general isn't that similar, this game focuses mostly on cover and the mechanics are pretty different. It's still a good game in it's own right, but it's definitely not like a direct remake of the originals. It's interesting enough for the most part, even if quite a few mechanics work differently.
shoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #21
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Things I didn't like where the inventory system being essentially stripped from the game, eg buying different weapons (It's now the basic rifle, pistol, then you research the laser rifle pistol then research plasma rifle, pistol) as well as the different ammo types which you'd use on different aliens (you'd use armour piercing on Mutons due to their heavy armour, Chrysslids you'd use incendiary)

Research is completely stipped down to the bare essentials, you only get 1 different craft to build with alien technology and a lot of the recoverable items from crafts aren't researched at all. Base defences are completely removed, so that's another aspect of the game gone as well.

One of my biggest gripes was when moving soldiers they no longer stop once an alien(s) gets in their line of sight. In the old X-COM, they'd stop, giving you enough left over time units to either fire, or get out of their sight, whereas in this one, they just keep on walking, and if it's on your second turn, they'll walk right out and give an alien a clear shot at you with no cover.

Stuff like Shoops was talking about with cover and such are excellent additions and was something that always pissed me off about the originals. Things like the special skills are good additions, so for instance one special skill is covering fire, which is helpful if you want to pin an alien down and flank him. Overall it's a good game and I enjoyed it, but it's just scaled back from the original in order to appeal to those who aren't interested in all the details, which seems to happen to a lot of games nowadays, but once again as Shoops said, it's kinda a remake in name only and takes the basic turn based forumla and idea for the game and creates it's own game out of it, so the things I hated is more a case of my expecting items from the previous game to be imported in, rather than just judging on what was given.

Last edited by El Kabong : 10-30-2012 at 02:18 AM.
El Kabong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

Finally picked this up off Greenmangaming.com for Steam for $32. I had been waiting for it to be eligible for one of their discount vouchers and FINALLY they offered a deal on it. Easy decision.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Cant finish this game. Became boring. Will do it later.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: