Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
MannyO
High School JV MVP

Default Finally Dunking With Ease

Wassup guys, you guys may not remember me but I was on this forum a few years back when I was 16. My problem was I could almost dunk but I could palm the ball yet and I needed about an inch more on my vert.

Now im 19 (still about 5'11) and could dunk with ease. I was playing a pickup game in the gym about 2 days ago and it was my first time actually dunking during a game I had 3 dunks. The first one I had a defender on my tail and I just decided Ill jump as high as I can and just put it in. I ended up getting up high and flushing it in while he tried to block it from the back.

I think my body just developed and got stronger naturally although I squatted a few times last year nothing serious though.

I want to be able to dunk consistently off 1 leg tho. Thats my next goal. Any tips on how I should go about this?

P.S: Next time im back in the gym ill make a mini dunk vid to prove it.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
SourPatchKids
Banned

Default Re: Finally Dunking With Ease

Congratz man, I still remember some of your old threads. I'm also a two-legged jumper. I want to be able to dunk before my Junior year
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
MannyO
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Congratz man, I still remember some of your old threads. I'm also a two-legged jumper. I want to be able to dunk before my Junior year

Thanks man, its such a great feeling of accomplishment. I know you'll be dunking soon yourself. To offer some advice, just keep trying it regularly and squat. U'll get it.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
ace23

5'11 and dunking off one foot? Impressive. You hoop competitively?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23

I am 6'0" and i can ONLY dunk off one foot I am kindof like Julius/Lebron/White that way, i get my max vert of one leg (left leg).

I think its like this with most humans, you simply jump higher of two or one, its pretty weird, but yea..
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Wassup guys, you guys may not remember me but I was on this forum a few years back when I was 16. My problem was I could almost dunk but I could palm the ball yet and I needed about an inch more on my vert.

Now im 19 (still about 5'11) and could dunk with ease. I was playing a pickup game in the gym about 2 days ago and it was my first time actually dunking during a game I had 3 dunks. The first one I had a defender on my tail and I just decided Ill jump as high as I can and just put it in. I ended up getting up high and flushing it in while he tried to block it from the back.

I think my body just developed and got stronger naturally although I squatted a few times last year nothing serious though.

I want to be able to dunk consistently off 1 leg tho. Thats my next goal. Any tips on how I should go about this?

P.S: Next time im back in the gym ill make a mini dunk vid to prove it.

if you can dunk off two feet then athleticism is not the problem. its muscle memory. you just have to practice and keep trying and eventually you will get there

i dont think you'll need to drill this but if you need to and have a buddy who can help use the drill at the end of this vid, i do this with my players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1eYj2COiEU
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
MannyO
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23

its funny because when I dunk off one foot i can only dunk with my left hand which is my weaker hand but my right leg is stronger. I find it pretty impressive when I see people get really high off one leg.
Yea I hoop competitively.

Quote:
if you can dunk off two feet then athleticism is not the problem. its muscle memory. you just have to practice and keep trying and eventually you will get there

i dont think you'll need to drill this but if you need to and have a buddy who can help use the drill at the end of this vid, i do this with my players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1eYj2COiEU

That seems like a good workout but can you explain to me how to do it. Like sets and reps.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
TheFan
High School Varsity 6th Man

Dunk? 3.05M rim? congratz man... i never pulled it... Im 1.75M... the closest i got was touching the rim at full speed without the ball.
TheFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
its funny because when I dunk off one foot i can only dunk with my left hand which is my weaker hand but my right leg is stronger. I find it pretty impressive when I see people get really high off one leg.
Yea I hoop competitively.

That seems like a good workout but can you explain to me how to do it. Like sets and reps.

so basically the number of sets and reps are arbitrary, you're not working on getting your legs stronger, you're training the footwork and muscle memory to naturally dunk off one foot

start with 3 from each side and maybe 3-5 sets.

once you cannot explode anymore, stop. you wanna work up to the point where you can do 5 or 6 from each side (10-12 total) for 3-5 sets. if you can do that you'll not only be able to dunk off one better, but your muscle endurance will improve drastically.

don't overtrain this. be as explosive as possible, doing too many from each side before you're ready will do more harm than good. gradually progress each time you do this drill

edit: at first if you cant dunk it just lay it in, just make sure you are jumping as high as you can.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: