Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people
Default JR Smith - starting sg

Jr will have a huge season in a role perfect for his game

Instead of asking him to be a primary ball handler/scorer he will get his first shot ever at playing off the ball. What will happen? Efficiency will go up, mistakes down, and his presence on the court will give amare/Carmelo the best chance to mesh together.

Jr will be so dangerous playing off the ball- quicker decision making and less dribbling into a shot. Jr smith with the opportunities fields had? For 1 they won't be able to cover him like that, and if they do you will see a career year from jr.

If you say brewer should start then you don't understand brewers game or the concept of players fitting together in team basketball
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board
Default Re: JR Smith - starting sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Jr will have a huge season in a role perfect for his game

Instead of asking him to be a primary ball handler/scorer he will get his first shot ever at playing off the ball. What will happen? Efficiency will go up, mistakes down, and his presence on the court will give amare/Carmelo the best chance to mesh together.

Jr will be so dangerous playing off the ball- quicker decision making and less dribbling into a shot. Jr smith with the opportunities fields had? For 1 they won't be able to cover him like that, and if they do you will see a career year from jr.

If you say brewer should start then you don't understand brewers game or the concept of players fitting together in team basketball
Thats a crock of shat.... you ever seen him play in Denver?Not that he couldnt start but his game is his game.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

While i do think he is better off the bench, i'm not opposed to giving him a shot at it.

BTW he played pretty well when he first arrived in Denver and started games for them back in 06-07.

Don't know if those days are behind him now though.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

just dont know how we will score when our bench comes in, guess one of the starters will always be on the court when the bench gets subed in
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
just dont know how we will score when our bench comes in, guess one of the starters will always be on the court when the bench gets subed in
You have to.

Amare and Melo won't be off the court at the same time.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
el gringos
Good college starter

Shumpert
JR
Carmelo
Bargnani
Chandler or Amare
Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Shumpert
JR
Carmelo
Bargnani
Chandler or Amare
Not happening playa. Not to mention, Woody said there's a strong possibility Pablo will be starting at the 2 again.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

JR smith is pretty much perfect for the scoring 6th man role. He's not an effective starter due to his defensive and mental shortcomings. I'd rather have a starting 5 that is balanced and plays together.

With Amare looking shaky still and on a minutes limit i'd like to see Bargs starting at the 4 with Melo in the lineup. Shumpert is a type of player that must start for us with his defensive ability and the PG position for us is pretty much crap.

Felton
Shumpert
Melo
Bargs
Chandler
6th-JR Smith
Amare-20-25mpg?(for now?)
Prig, Hardaway, etc?
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

I am so sick of this staff trying to make shumpert a PG or SF. Let the kid play SG. The kid probably could be a pretty darn good SG. They have this kid thinking too much. They are stunting the kids growth. He isnt good at anything right now.

I do agree Bargs should start at PF and move Melo back to the 3. This will give Woodson a much more versatile line up option and minutes can be found for everyone. Going big or small.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
percelloveknicks
Straight Hardcore

percelloveknicks is popular on this boardpercelloveknicks is popular on this boardpercelloveknicks is popular on this boardpercelloveknicks is popular on this boardpercelloveknicks is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
I am so sick of this staff trying to make shumpert a PG or SF. Let the kid play SG. The kid probably could be a pretty darn good SG. They have this kid thinking too much. They are stunting the kids growth. He isnt good at anything right now.

I do agree Bargs should start at PF and move Melo back to the 3. This will give Woodson a much more versatile line up option and minutes can be found for everyone. Going big or small.
yeah he did not look comfortable bringing that ball up thurs, That rivers kid was ballin tho.
percelloveknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek

I agree. The time to try that was his rookie year. We didn't take advantage of it. He's made his identity. That ship has sailed. Let him work on what he does best now. I wouldn't say he isn't good at anything though lol I think he's a heck of a defender and his outside jumper is greatly improved.

And is there anyone here that still wants small ball? I know I sure don't.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
Rameek
Krust Kingz

We dont know what he is yet. He had no offensive game the first year then got hurt came back played out of position. His offensive game wasnt that good but he was aggressive. His defense looked spectacular the first year then got hurt it came up a few notches after awhile.

The point being he needs to get better. He wont get better as a player worrying about being a PG and SF. He needs to be in one position and let him work on his craft offensively then defensively. He already shown he isnt a PG or SF. Just stunting the kids growth for no reason at this point.

Some players are elite and versatile enough to play 2 positions if they are at least good at one. Shump isnt elite but he has abilities.

Last edited by Rameek : 07-13-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
I agree. The time to try that was his rookie year. We didn't take advantage of it. He's made his identity. That ship has sailed. Let him work on what he does best now. I wouldn't say he isn't good at anything though lol I think he's a heck of a defender and his outside jumper is greatly improved.

And is there anyone here that still wants small ball? I know I sure don't.

Shumpert never had the ability to play the point. He just doesn't have the skillset to succeed as a PG and I doubt he could have learned those skills(vision, handling, distribution, etc). It's not his natural position.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
el gringos
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Shumpert never had the ability to play the point. He just doesn't have the skillset to succeed as a PG and I doubt he could have learned those skills(vision, handling, distribution, etc). It's not his natural position.
Nope. You're wrong. Did you not see him at Georgia tech?

Starting Felton and prigioni should be firing Woodson right away for laziness
Old 07-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

If Prigioni starts at sg, we might as well fast forward to the next offseason. I dont care about the little 18 game sample set when we were winning. I love how people like to convenient ignore the fact that he was replacing Jason Kidd...who might have been the worst starter in the NBA last season. They also like to conveniently omit the fact that JR was going absolutely apeshit. They also act like Melo didn't completely take the league by storm in the month of April.

But once again, like I said, the so called "thugs" of the team csan do no right and the "good ole boys" who "do all the little things" get all the credit. Then, come summertime, they get a bunch of money they don't deserve.

Bottom line is, if we re-signed JR and drafted Tim Hardaway Jr, only to start Pablo Shitioni, Grunwald AND Woody need to go.

Last edited by franchize : 07-14-2013 at 10:18 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: