Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Last Of Us campaign length 12-15hrs?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/...ength-revealed

Not really worth the $60 initially, i would probably wait until it hits $40 or so. Not sure why people believe that is a good standard time for games these days. Looks great though

NBA Superstar

Default Re: The Last Of Us campaign length 12-15hrs?

Yeah, 12-16 seems awfully short. I have a tough time convincing myself to put that kind of money down on a game with may be completed in a week.

I'd prefer 12-15 hours of quality content than a bunch of filler

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

This will probably be like every game in the God of War series for me. I'll pick it up when it's $20. $30 at most.

Damn, now I want to cancel my order from GameStop. I think I might do that actually. 12-15 hrs for me would make it so that I finish the game within 3-4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    This will probably be like every game in the God of War series for me.
    This. I just started playing the God of War saga recently. It came with part 1, 2, 3 & the two games they made for the PSP. I did play the first two back in my PS2 days, but that was years ago and the games are now fresh to me again.

I actually cancelled my preorder over this.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I can live with that. Particularly if it's like Uncharted, where I can up the difficulty and feel compelled to run through it a second and maybe a third time, finding secrets and doing a little trophy chasing.

I'd take that over the 75 hours of Skyrim that I burnt out on after chasing a book down in a cave for the 100th time. Or if a third of those hours is spent comparing cloak spell specifications to decide what to wear.

The Uncharteds have been a little short. As was the new Tomb Raider, and I loved those.

But to each their own. As an adult who works 50-60 hours a week, and has other things he's committed too as well, I can appreciate being able to get through a well made game and well written story, without having to put in so much time that it feels like work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I actually cancelled my preorder over this.
    Cheap jew bastard

lol you people are funny. A movie is on average under 2hrs but you will pay ten dollars to watch it in the theaters or 20 to own it on blu ray. But if a game gives you 6-7 times more entertainment, that is even more engrossing and involves more of your senses, then it's not worth it?

Tetris can be played for thousands of hours. But I would take 12hrs of Last of US over 12hrs of Tetris. It's not just how much time of your life you can waste, it's the attention to detail, the graphics, the AI, the overall atmosphere, storyline, etc.

Personally, I prefer a shorter game, because I dont have time to play games ad nauseum, and once I take a lengthy period of time away from a game at the end stages then I will probably never go back to it again.

20hrs is the perfect time to put into a story driven game.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Are you guys seriously complaining about the length?
    Uncharted 2/3 was less lenghty then that and it's my favorite game ever.

TLOU is a strategic survivor (horror), so placing a a set time range is stupid. If you try to earn a plat for this game, I promise you it will take you over 25 hours easy to complete. U2 took me roughly 20 hours to earn a plat. This game (from the early previews) sounds incredible: sound, atmosphere, graphics, characterization, gameplay, set-pieces are all top notch. Just like basically every other ND game.

Them & Rockstar can have my money any time; they've earned my trust a long time ago.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    lol you people are funny. A movie is on average under 2hrs but you will pay ten dollars to watch it in the theaters or 20 to own it on blu ray. But if a game gives you 6-7 times more entertainment, that is even more engrossing and involves more of your senses, then it's not worth it?

Tetris can be played for thousands of hours. But I would take 12hrs of Last of US over 12hrs of Tetris. It's not just how much time of your life you can waste, it's the attention to detail, the graphics, the AI, the overall atmosphere, storyline, etc.

Personally, I prefer a shorter game, because I dont have time to play games ad nauseum, and once I take a lengthy period of time away from a game at the end stages then I will probably never go back to it again.

20hrs is the perfect time to put into a story driven game.
    Yeah, it's funny how it works. Perhaps I'm just accustomed to games that have an unusual amount of replayibility. I don't buy a ton of games but when I do, they tend to be either sports games, racing games, or Rockstar games (GTA or RDR) so with all the gameplay hours those genres provide, I tend to establish that as worthy value for what I paid.

That said, I borrowed BioShock Infinite and had I known I was going to like it as much as I did, I probably would have bought it myself, even with the comparatively short gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yeah, it's funny how it works. Perhaps I'm just accustomed to games that have an unusual amount of replayibility. I don't buy a ton of games but when I do, they tend to be either sports games, racing games, or Rockstar games (GTA or RDR) so with all the gameplay hours those genres provide, I tend to establish that as worthy value for what I paid.

That said, I borrowed BioShock Infinite and had I known I was going to like it as much as I did, I probably would have bought it myself, even with the comparatively short gameplay.
    Campaign length and replayability are TWO different things bro.
    I think the Last of Us will have a ton of replayability value because it's a strategy based surviving game. There will literally be dozens of ways you can approach different scenarios.

It will have more replayability then Uncharted; a AAA title.
    I'd be shocked if this game doesn't receive an overall score of at least 92% (which will make it the highest rated game this year so far).

NBA Superstar

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Good call. As I was writing that, I was thinking of the difference between Bioshock Infinite's campaign and, say, Call of Duty's. I'm actually not a big Call of Duty multiplayer guy so I tended to play a modestly enjoyable single player campaign and called it good (often via rental). And when that campaign was done, unless I went back through on a different difficulty, it was done.

On the flip side, you're right, there's other campaigns (Inifinite was one) that lasted 15-20 hours, but offered enough variation to allow a second playthrough to either gain a better understanding or take a different route (building up different weapons and vigors). So even with what appears to be a short number of hours, things can actually run a bit deeper. Good call there.
    Same here, I only play COD games for their campaigns. I don't have time for online and don't particularly enjoy it.

I have beaten most COD games at least 6-7 times by now; I really enjoy them, I don't know why. I wish they introduced a statistical tracker for each campaign to see how good of a soldier you are. Similar to what Uncharted and GTA do; it adds to the value significantly for me.

[QUOTE=rhythmic