Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #31
Kemosabe
High School Varsity 6th Man

Kemosabe has decent reputation
Default Re: the greatest player NOT to play in the nba

Yeh i agree, the brazilian legend Oscar Schmidt was almost automatic from the 3 point line...
He could have caused some impact in the Nba.
I think he had some invititains but he decided to continue to play in Europe.
Kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #32
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default goats double dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Easy Question (and there really is no other answer that is valid)

Earl "The Goat" Manigault

The streetball legend was just 6'2", but he would grab dollars and quarters off of the top of the backboard. He once reverse dunked 36 times in a row to win a $60 bet. It is rumored that he had a 52-inch vertical leap. He was also a deadly long range shooter.

When Kareem Abdul-Jabbar got his number retired at the Forum, he was asked who the greatest player he ever played against was. His reply? Earl "The Goat" Manigault.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Manigault

good post rba!

i thought of posting the goat too but i wanted to give marques some love

i only heard of the goat and never saw him live...

but i have heard of that famous double dunk (he would dunk it and catch it with the other hand while still in the air and dunk it again)

anyone have any clips of goat doing that? or anyone else double dunking?
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #33
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Cedric
Goat

he might have been... the goat is legendary

the strongest arguments for haynes is his longevity, his induction in the HOF and he did play against the "nba-ers" of his day
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #34
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: goats double dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
good post rba!

i thought of posting the goat too but i wanted to give marques some love

i only heard of the goat and never saw him live...

but i have heard of that famous double dunk (he would dunk it and catch it with the other hand while still in the air and dunk it again)

anyone have any clips of goat doing that? or anyone else double dunking?
Unfortunately, I've never seen any clips of The Goat playing in his prime. I'm not sure if there is footage out there or not. I have seen clips of him shooting around and dunking in his older years. He could still dunk not long before he died. His jumper also had flawless form.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #35
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Best American players never to play in the NBA:

Earl Manigault (all-time playground legend)
Bob Kurland (the only player of his era that could almost match )
Herman Knowings (see Manigault)
Joe Hammond (see Manigault)
Marques Haynes (among the greatest dribblers ever)
Len Bias (Rip...)
Bob Morse (He could play good NBA ball, legendary European career)
Calvin Lane (Not really, but in today's NBA, his colossal dimensions would make him a good center even without knowing basketball)

Best Internationals never to play in the NBA:

Dejan Bodiroga (all-around forward, very high bball IQ)
Crezimir Cosic (came close to signing with the Lakers as a backup to Kareem)
Sergei Belov (plenty of international titles, called "the European Jerry West")
Oscar Schmidt (all-time great scorer and shooter)
Drazen Dalipagic (same. Came close to the Celtics. Red Auerbach wanted him to succeed Havlicek)
Nikos Galis (all-time great scorer and passer)
Manuel Raga Navarro (called by many the best non-American of the 70's)

Last edited by Psileas : 01-26-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #36
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Len Bias was the greatest player to never play in the NBA.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #37
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
Best American players never to play in the NBA:

Earl Manigault (all-time playground legend)
Bob Kurland (the only player of his era that could almost match )
Herman Knowings (see Manigault)
Joe Hammond (see Manigault)
Marques Haynes (among the greatest dribblers ever)
Len Bias (Rip...)
Bob Morse (He could play good NBA ball, legendary European career)
Calvin Lane (Not really, but in today's NBA, his colossal dimensions would make him a good center even without knowing basketball)

Best Internationals never to play in the NBA:

Dejan Bodiroga (all-around forward, very high bball IQ)
Crezimir Cosic (came close to signing with the Lakers as a backup to Kareem)
Sergei Belov (plenty of international titles, called "the European Jerry West")
Oscar Schmidt (all-time great scorer and shooter)
Drazen Dalipagic (same. Came close to the Celtics. Red Auerbach wanted him to succeed Havlicek)
Nikos Galis (all-time great scorer and passer)
Manuel Raga Navarro (called by many the best non-American of the 70's)

psileas dropping knowledge like a madman. you're good, pal. i've never heard of a lot of these folks.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #38
allball
National High School Star

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
psileas dropping knowledge like a madman. you're good, pal. i've never heard of a lot of these folks.

yeah but if you put Manigault and Hammond, you got to put Pee Wee Kirkland.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #39
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Some of these guys only played in the NCAA (some not even there), so most Americans don't know them. :)

BTW, Calvin Lane isn't a basketball player, but he could be, esp. in today's NBA. We're talking about sheer size here...

Quote:
yeah but if you put Manigault and Hammond, you got to put Pee Wee Kirkland.

There's a good number of legend streetballers who supposedly could play great NBA ball. I just gave a few celebrity names...But you can add Lewis Lloyd, Fly Williams, Kirkland, Harris (I can't remember his name, he was a Chicago legend)

Last edited by Psileas : 01-26-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #40
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Some of these guys only played in the NCAA (some not even there), so most Americans don't know them. :)

BTW, Calvin Lane isn't a basketball player, but he could be, esp. in today's NBA. We're talking about sheer size here...

A lot of players could be basketball players.

Sheer size is just a cute label. Try describing what he could be doing in the NBA besides being big. As fans we've saw guys with sheer size before that amounted to a laughing stock. Priest Lauderdale.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #41
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Sheer size is just a cute label. Try describing what he could be doing in the NBA besides being big. As fans we've saw guys with sheer size before that amounted to a laughing stock. Priest Lauderdale.

...and that's why I wrote "not really", I was half joking (after all,I've been telling that size doesn't matter for years to kids who say that "Wilt was just big." :) ).
BTW, Priest was another disappointment. At least he had a few good years outside the NBA. I didn't follow him in his NBA years and don't know why he falied that badly, while centers less dominant in Europe did a much better job.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #42
KIWI

Big Pero cameron
Old 01-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #43
Dick Biggly
Good High School Starter

Dick Biggly has no real reputation yet.

Master P
Dick Biggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #44
Dr Giggles
Kids at the park dunk on me

Dr Giggles has an OK reputation so far

I don't know anything about the playground legends so I don't really know how good they could have been, no opinion really.
Best foreign player never to play in the NBA in the last years is hands down Dejan Bodiroga.
Another name I'm going to throw in the discussion is italian Dino Meneghin, dude was tough as nails and won everything in Europe. Named best european player EVER in 1991 (don't know if that's official though )
Dr Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #45
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
...and that's why I wrote "not really", I was half joking (after all,I've been telling that size doesn't matter for years to kids who say that "Wilt was just big." :) ).
BTW, Priest was another disappointment. At least he had a few good years outside the NBA. I didn't follow him in his NBA years and don't know why he falied that badly, while centers less dominant in Europe did a much better job.

He was just slow as mollasses. Very methodical lookin in the NBA.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: