Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #16
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Arenas = cheater

*blows whistle* "Quit it with the mystical kung-fu, Gilbert!" "****ing cheater..."

Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
heymossy
Can barely lace up my sneakers

heymossy has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
in this case, it can be discounted bceause Arena's skill is clearly superior and the fan voting system is not the ideal system.

but paying off your son's little league ref? despicable.
This is exactly the reason I subscribe to boards like this. It gives me an opportunity to experience the world from the perspective of others. Take this whole cheating thing for example:

I was brought up to believe that all cheating was wrong. My father had these outmoded ideas concerning honor and would lecture me ad nauseum about why I should stay true to myself.

Once I grew up I rejected my father's ridiculous notions about personal integrity and instead embraced a life philosophy that emphasized personal gain over the interests of others. This is when I decided that all cheating was good. Cheating (like hard work) helps you get things you want. And as a bonus, cheating is way easier than hard work.

But after reading the above post, I may have to reconsider my thoughts on this issue. As VCDrivesAPorscheToWork so elegantly points out, some cheating is bad. Maybe I went too far when I supplied the refs in my 8 year old son's basketball league with booze soaked trips to Vegas in exchange for a few bogus traveling calls thrown our way.

Because of this thread, I have adopted a new life motto. Cheating is bad – unless you are a famous athlete. If your name isn't Gilbert Arenas, don't cheat.
heymossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
Welcome to the wonderfully warped basketball mind of Arenas, who confessed to something on Tuesday that no one else of his stature in the sport would dare do. Three years ago, he traded two pairs of his sneakers and his Wizards jersey to a sporting goods store for a box of all-star game ballots. He just sat down and went to work. "

"I just know I can be a starter," he told himself, and he kept punching the holes in the ballots for himself and his teammates, Jamison and Larry Hughes. What's more, he said he's heard stories of NBA all-stars hiring people to fill out ballots, backing trucks into garages with busy-bee pals working to manipulate the vote. To Arenas, it didn't sound like a bad idea. He just wishes everyone would stop acting so cool, so above it all, and get over themselves already."

yahoo

If this quote is accurate, then this isn't from this year. But god forbid facts get in the way of more bull**** from the mental midgets, right? -.-
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #19
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There is no proof that he cheated enough to get voted as a starter.
There is no proof that Vince fans didnt cheat for him.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #20
NugzFan
NBA lottery pick

NugzFan is considered somewhat coolNugzFan is considered somewhat cool

how is it cheating? unethical - maybe but he didnt break any rules.
NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I admire Arenas even more just because of this story.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #22
heymossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
I admire Arenas even more just because of this story.
Can't say I disagree with this sentiment.

If we are really being honest, who among is ready to condemn someone just because they cheat a little. Sure, maybe I look down on crooked insurance salesmen who cheat the elderly out of their life savings. But famous sports celebrities are not insurance salesmen and thus should be exempt from the standards that apply to the rest of us.

The real title of this thread should be:

Arenas = cheater = all around good guy
Old 01-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #23
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymossy
Can't say I disagree with this sentiment.

The real title of this thread should be:

Arenas = cheater = all around good guy
what is this world coming too.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #24
WuTangWizard
Local High School Star

WuTangWizard has an OK reputation so far

Uhhh how is that cheating? And that was three years ago.
WuTangWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #25
TheHonestTruth
Banned

TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.

Arenas is emo.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #26
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

It wasnt cheating, and it was three years ago, not a big deal.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #27
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How does anyone not see how buying a box of(not for sale) all star ballots from a store for the sole purpose of voting for yourself in place of fans who are supposed to vote is cheating?

If a guy wins an election by buying the votes of a few thousand people in a key area that isnt cheating?

Not like he shot a little girl or anything. But he pretty clearly cheated. If buying votes isnt cheating then there is no such thing as cheating.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
WuTangWizard
Local High School Star

WuTangWizard has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
How does anyone not see how buying a box of(not for sale) all star ballots from a store for the sole purpose of voting for yourself in place of fans who are supposed to vote is cheating?

If a guy wins an election by buying the votes of a few thousand people in a key area that isnt cheating?

Not like he shot a little girl or anything. But he pretty clearly cheated. If buying votes isnt cheating then there is no such thing as cheating.

Even if you consider it cheating, it was 3 years ago. That wasn't from this years ballots. And I'm sure alot of NBA players vote for themselves.
WuTangWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #29
heymossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafir
... it was three years ago, not a big deal.
Good point.

Even if Arenas's actions are those of a cheat, the cheating occurred in the past. And as we all know, if it happens in the past it really doesn't count against you.

(You are right Honey, I shouldn't have slept with your little sister. But I fail to see why you are so upset. I can hardly expect to be held accountable for my actions given that I cheated on you in the past. I stopped banging her 3 weeks ago, so what do you say you give it a rest.)

So to summarize, don't cheat. And if you do cheat, ensure that you cheat in the past. That way it doesn't count.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #30
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

Can't fans vote for their favorite players online as many times as they want? What's the difference?
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: