Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-26-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here
Default Arenas = cheater

Welcome to the wonderfully warped basketball mind of Arenas, who confessed to something on Tuesday that no one else of his stature in the sport would dare do. Three years ago, he traded two pairs of his sneakers and his Wizards jersey to a sporting goods store for a box of all-star game ballots. He just sat down and went to work. "

"I just know I can be a starter," he told himself, and he kept punching the holes in the ballots for himself and his teammates, Jamison and Larry Hughes. What's more, he said he's heard stories of NBA all-stars hiring people to fill out ballots, backing trucks into garages with busy-bee pals working to manipulate the vote. To Arenas, it didn't sound like a bad idea. He just wishes everyone would stop acting so cool, so above it all, and get over themselves already."

yahoo
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board
Default Re: Arenas = cheater

Some info about Vince's reaction to those who are interested.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270125012
Carter was edged out of a starting berth in the All-Star game on the final day of fan balloting by a mere 3,101 votes. He came out of the trainer's room to address reporters before the game, thinking that he had held onto the second spot in the Eastern Conference backcourt behind Gilbert Arenas -- before he was told otherwise. Two weeks ago, Carter led Arenas by 214,460 votes.

"I'm happy for Gilbert. He's a friend," Carter said after the game. "He's played his butt off to this point and he deserves the be in that starting group. The fans thought he should be in there, so I applaud him."

HOH edit: they made a mistake. they should've said behind Dwayne Wade.

Last edited by haterofhaters : 01-26-2007 at 06:55 AM.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you cheat to start how can you even be proud of it? Ive cheated to do a lot of things. Cheated on tests(mostly for other people though). Sure as hell got away with a lot of **** playing football I shouldnt have. But its not like he has victory or anything as a result. Not winning anything. All you get out of starting is knowing the fans respect you and know you. Want to see you play more than anyone else. If you cheat you dont even have that.

All you have is the attention of getting your name called a little earlier in introductions than if you didnt cheat.

But he does seem to love attention. So I guess thats what he cheats for. Attention.

I bet he goes for MVP. Puts up no less than 18 shots.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
If you cheat to start how can you even be proud of it? Ive cheated to do a lot of things. Cheated on tests(mostly for other people though). Sure as hell got away with a lot of **** playing football I shouldnt have. But its not like he has victory or anything as a result. Not winning anything. All you get out of starting is knowing the fans respect you and know you. Want to see you play more than anyone else. If you cheat you dont even have that.

All you have is the attention of getting your name called a little earlier in introductions than if you didnt cheat.

But he does seem to love attention. So I guess thats what he cheats for. Attention.

I bet he goes for MVP. Puts up no less than 18 shots.

IMO, I think i'd feel nice to be loved by the fans... but even if my own votes didn't have much of an impact, it'd still take something away from a starting spot. Also, as has been said many times in the past, the ASG tends to be a popularity contest (case and point Shaq beating out Dwight) and so it's actually more of an accomplishment to get voted in by the coaches/ppl who vote based on talent and not popularity.

Having said that however, there's no doubt this year that Agent 0 has outplayed Vince and did deserve the spot. You just gotta feel bad that the guy lost a 200, 000 + vote lead in 10 days.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
Also, as has been said many times in the past, the ASG tends to be a popularity contest (case and point Shaq beating out Dwight) and so it's actually more of an accomplishment to get voted in by the coaches/ppl who vote based on talent and not popularity.

Exactally. People voted for Shaq who now gets to start. If Dwight won the vote, then Shaq wouldn't even be playing. Dwight can be proud of that
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Chances are someone will come into this thread and post about how this is simply just another manifestation of Arenas's quirky character, and how it makes him loveable and easy for everyone to relate to...

Then either that same person or someone else will post about how unfair all the "hate" is and how none of this is even important...

Anyone want to place a wager?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

It's unfair to hate on him for him being him, and is it really that important?

I think it's just an example of Arenas being Arenas. He's got a quirky character, it just makes him a fun person to follow. I think a lot of people can relate to him.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #8
Garbahoser
I airball my layups

Garbahoser has an OK reputation so far

Totally.

I write fake comments from customers aboot how good my service was and stuff the suggestion box.

MAD Employee of the Month, yo.
Garbahoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Shaq shouldn't even be playing this year....he has only played like 6 or 7 games this year so far...Popularity, as said before.....Shaq doe not deserve to be in the All-Star game...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
sbw19
National High School Star

sbw19 has an OK reputation so far

Whether or not he cheated is of little consequence. He's voted in and deservedly so. Besides, the incident the article points out to didn't happen this year, it happened three years ago.

And if you think about it, that really doesn't tell us much other than Arenas doesn't mind admitting doing what many other bball players are probably doing behind the scenes.
sbw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
jo3y91
lebron stole my shoes!

jo3y91 has an OK reputation so far

just to let every1 know, watch nba.com starters selected clip. he even admits by saying, oh no more filling out ballot sheets for myself.
jo3y91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
heymossy
Can barely lace up my sneakers

heymossy has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbw19
Whether or not he cheated is of little consequence.
So right.

Cheating is a natural consequence of a competitive spirit. You can't blame a guy for wanting to win. For instance, I once paid off the refs in my sons basketball league. I really wanted his team to win and thus felt justified expressing my competitiveness this way.

Arenas, like me, should be applauded for his inventiveness. Cheaters are the same as anyone else. The only difference is they get more accolades and have more stuff because they have rooked they system and taken what is naturally theirs anyway.
heymossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
For instance, I once paid off the refs in my sons basketball league.

Thats just sad...shows whats wrong with parents
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #14
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

"why should the race always go to the swift? or the jumble to the quick witted? cheating is a gift man gives himself!"

--MC Burns
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Arenas definitely deserved to get in, and because he reads ISH, he understands what's really up.

cheating in general is bad. why? because you are not playing with honor, self-esteem and you are not relying on your skill.

in this case, it can be discounted bceause Arena's skill is clearly superior and the fan voting system is not the ideal system.

but paying off your son's little league ref? despicable.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: