Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star

Default An interesting look into the Bulls first Championship Run

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...-Championship/

Pretty good info from the players, Krause, Reindsorf, and Jackson.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

Default Re: An interesting look into the Bulls first Championship Run

Really interesting read. Has a team (one with a superstar and that has gotten close) ever been been captured on camera after losing a series? The beginning quotes are something else.

Lot of bitching about how poor sports the Pistons were after the ECF.

Quote:
JORDAN: When that happened, when we broke through and swept them four straight, the leaders of the [Pistons] showed their true colors. They lost a lot of respect by walking off the floor and not shaking our hands.

^Relating to the Jordan-Zeke Dream Team stuff that got completely overblown.

How many undersold the Bulls before the Finals... I think KGwhatever on this board alluded to such in his thread on the 1991 Finals about a week back. Something similar would have happened had the Spurs beaten OKC this past season.

Quote:
REINSDORF: The score, I believe, was 93–93, give or take a point. Phil calls a time-out, and he looks at Michael and he says, “Michael, who’s open?” Michael gives him a blank stare. He puts his hands on Michael’s shoulders and he says, “Michael, who’s open?” Michael says, “Paxson.” Phil says, “Get him the ****ing ball.” Paxson scores 10 points after that, and we win going away.

Between that and talking about the triangle offense earlier. Solid insight on the importance of a great coach.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star

Jackson actually considered blowing up the team after a loss to the Pistons in late December

SMITH: So then they go out west. They win a few games. They’re kind of playing .500 ball into December. They’re a good team, winning their home games mostly. Then, right before Christmas, they go into Detroit and just get blown out. Dominated the way Detroit had dominated them in the past. I remember Phil talking after the game that this is a sort of crucible for this team, and maybe we need to blow it up—not trade Jordan, but maybe make some big changes. That maybe this team isn’t up to it.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

I remember reading "Jordan Rules" and the Bulls actually tried to get Danny Ainge to join them during the 1990 offseason because he was the only guard who would tell MJ to **** off when he demanded the ball.

The Bulls were trying to make Jordan less ball dominant at that point.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star

Heres the Box score to the game Smith and Jackson were reffering to.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...012190DET.html
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
DatAsh
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls

Basically Jordan vs the Pistons in that game.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

Quote:

Pip with 4 points????
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
magictricked
Great young streetballer

Quote:
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...-Championship/

Pretty good info from the players, Krause, Reindsorf, and Jackson.
Thank you.
magictricked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
How many undersold the Bulls before the Finals... I think KGwhatever on this board alluded to such in his thread on the 1991 Finals about a week back. Something similar would have happened had the Spurs beaten OKC this past season.

I was alluding to what Marv Albert and Mike Fratello said after the Bulls game 5 series clinching win against in the Finals. They said that the Bulls handling the Lakers the way they did and winning the series in five games was a surprise. I don't think they were surprised or thought the Bulls couldn't win the series, but sounded like they were surprised they did it with relative ease. They mentioned something along the lines of the Blazers being the favorites (sounded like to me the favorites to win it all, not just the West) and after the Lakers beat them, they expected a close and tightly contested Finals.

I was comparing it to what it seemed like a lot of people were assuming this year after the Thunder beat the Spurs in the WCF; but obviously the '91 Lakers and '12 Thunder are completely different teams and I don't think anyone was just assuming or picking the '91 Lakers to win it all after beating the Blazers in the WCF. The Lakers were breaking down (Worthy especially) and didn't even have Byron Scotty and Worthy for game five, and the Thunder were/are a really young team on the rise. And I could be wrong, but I don't think the '91 Blazers were probably as big of favorites (around the start and beginning of the WCF) as the '12 Spurs. After the Spurs beat OKC to take a 2-0 lead, I don't know of anyone that was picking anyone but San Antonio to win it all. The Blazers might have been pretty big favorites going into the WCF in '91 but I'd be surprised if it was to the same extent as the Spurs this year.

The other similarity, in my opinion, is the '91 Lakers and '12 Spurs got to the Finals, and had the best player in the league waiting on them. Some people this year were rightfully criticizing and wondering if LeBron could come through in the Finals for once after his abysmal 2011 showing, and I think Jordan was starting to get some of the same type "can he win the big" one questions surrounding his game. Not to the same extent as LeBron, but people still had their doubts about his ability to lead a team to a championship.

Last edited by KG215 : 08-29-2012 at 02:16 AM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
STACEY KING (reserve forward):I’ll never forget Michael Jordan standing up in the locker room and giving this emotional speech—basically saying what Jerry said. But it hit home because Jordan was our leader. He said, “This will be the last time this happens. We will never have this feeling again.” It was almost like a religious thing. He had a glow to him. It hit home like a freaking lightning bolt.

And this is for AlphaWol24 who doesn't think Jordan was getting knocked to the floor or playing through some very physical defense and taking some beatings.

Quote:
MICHAEL JORDAN (starting guard): I knew I had to get stronger. If I was going to go into the post, then I was going to have to play like a big guy. I still had my quickness so I knew if I got stronger, I could turn the tables. Teams such as the Pistons and Knicks had figured the only way to throw me off my game was to throw me out of the air. I’d had enough. I wanted to start dishing out the punishment instead of taking it all the time.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
hon hon hon eat snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
I remember reading "Jordan Rules" and the Bulls actually tried to get Danny Ainge to join them during the 1990 offseason because he was the only guard who would tell MJ to **** off when he demanded the ball.

The Bulls were trying to make Jordan less ball dominant at that point.

Interesting. But ultimately they didn't get Ainge. They got Dennis Hopson? LOL

I remember reading MJ saying he wanted Ainge on the Bulls because he could stand up to the Pistons' bullying antics and also Ainge's been on winning teams with the Cs.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
swi7ch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialQue
Pip with 4 points????

I was going to say, "Man, Jordan sure was a ballhog back then!" then I looked at the stat sheet and saw:

Jordan - 13/22 for 59%
Pippen - 2/16 for 13%
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
swi7ch
Banned

Btw, that article further confirms one thing---Jordan is the GOAT!
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

good article
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

Great find, 97 Bulls.