Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
atljonesbro
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,444
Default Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

I really don't understand the logic what so ever. So you think, "Oh he played in an era other than the current one, he must be better than everyone playing today."? There's no logic behind that at all. If you think players have gotten worse over time then you're sadly mistaken. That's completely backwards thinking. More of the aspects that make a player develop into what they become get BETTER over time and players learn BETTER ways to get better.

LET ME HIGHLIGHT THIS PART BEFORE SOMEONE SH1TS A COW. IM NOT SAYING ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ARE BETTER THAN OLDER PLAYERS OR OLDER PLAYERS ARE SCRUBS. IM SIMPLY SAYING YOUR NOSTALGIA AND HOMERISM OF ERAS MAKES NO SENSE.
atljonesbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Colbertnation64
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 290
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

It depends on the player. Wilt Chamberlain would be a poor mans Deandre Jordan according to idiots on here.
Colbertnation64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTape
Posts: 21,368
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

In 2062, all the kids on ISH (vBulletin Version 3.5.4), will be calling Lebron a scrub.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Colbertnation64
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 290
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
In 2062, all the kids on ISH (vBulletin Version 3.5.4), will be calling Lebron a scrub.
That's why you must join me on a mission to post on this board or whatever the largest basketball board is at the time when I'm 60+. They will be forced to listen to my stories about Kobe until they accept that he's the best
Colbertnation64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,690
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Yet another of these threads from you?

Your other thread was full of sweeping generalizations about players, eras, and other posters. You were intolerant of anyone's opinion other than your own. You lumped all people of certain ages together, knowing nothing about them. You attributed the traits of a single poster to all that you assume are in that same age group.

Then you wonder why people don't think that you'd be a fair, thoughtful and unbiased judge of players?

Take a break. Don't post for a while. Look up "irony".
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
atljonesbro
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Yet another of these threads from you?

Your other thread was full of sweeping generalizations about players, eras, and other posters. You were intolerant of anyone's opinion other than your own. You lumped all people of certain ages together, knowing nothing about them. You attributed the traits of a single poster to all that you assume are in that same age group.

Then you wonder why people don't think that you'd be a fair, thoughtful and unbiased judge of players?

Take a break. Don't post for a while. Look up "irony".
How about instead of a lecture you answer my question thanks.
atljonesbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 12,045
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote:
So you think, "Oh he played in an era other than the current one, he must be better than everyone playing today."? There's no logic behind that at all.

Which is why nobody said it.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atljonesbro
I really don't understand the logic what so ever. So you think, "Oh he played in an era other than the current one, he must be better than everyone playing today."? There's no logic behind that at all. If you think players have gotten worse over time then you're sadly mistaken. That's completely backwards thinking. More of the aspects that make a player develop into what they become get BETTER over time and players learn BETTER ways to get better.

LET ME HIGHLIGHT THIS PART BEFORE SOMEONE SH1TS A COW. IM NOT SAYING ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ARE BETTER THAN OLDER PLAYERS OR OLDER PLAYERS ARE SCRUBS. IM SIMPLY SAYING YOUR NOSTALGIA AND HOMERISM OF ERAS MAKES NO SENSE.
Nobody says what your asserting. I think what's happening here is your misunderstanding peoples observations and discussions about how certain aspects of the game that have changed over time could benefit certain players from certain eras.

For example: This is a not a strong era for centers. Centers from the late 60's/early 70's or early 90's (two strong era's for centers) would have a field day against the pool of competition today. Nobody is saying all players from then are better than all players from now - it is only 1 specific part of the game that is being pointed out. Right now is a strong era for point guards, notice how you don't see people here making threads about K.C. Jones from the 60's being potentially better than Kyrie Irving? There's a reason for that. Your just not seeing the whole picture.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
atljonesbro
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Nobody says what your asserting. I think what's happening here is your misunderstanding peoples observations and discussions about how certain aspects of the game that have changed over time could benefit certain players from certain eras.

For example: This is a not a strong era for centers. Centers from the late 60's/early 70's or early 90's (two strong era's for centers) would have a field day against the pool of competition today. Nobody is saying all players from then are better than all players from now - it is only 1 specific part of the game that is being pointed out. Right now is a strong era for point guards, notice how you don't see people here making threads about K.C. Jones from the 60's being potentially better than Kyrie Irving? There's a reason for that. Your just not seeing the whole picture.
What I'm saying is people always say, "Man imagine is MJ played today he'd average 40 ppg" or "If Barkley played today he'd be MVP every year" stuff like that. It's extremely common on this forum.
atljonesbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
franchiez
Decent playground baller
 
franchiez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 347
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

I think they would be worse.
franchiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Calabis
Decent college freshman
 
Calabis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,781
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atljonesbro
What I'm saying is people always say, "Man imagine is MJ played today he'd average 40 ppg" or "If Barkley played today he'd be MVP every year" stuff like that. It's extremely common on this forum.

Phil Jackson and Larry Brown said that shit, not us
Calabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchiez
I think they would be worse.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,626
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

I'ma say it.

People insinuate/state that players from past eras would be better today because they were better.

Yeah… go curl up in a little ball you *****ts.

And it aint even so much the skill/talent level itself. It's more of the IQ and experience aspects.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
abuC
Cuba
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,622
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

The great centers would be able to play in any era in my opinion, the skills that made Wilt/Kareem great would still allow them to get buckets today. I think wing play has advanced a lot though, can't really see a guy like Baylor putting up big numbers.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
The great centers would be able to play in any era in my opinion, the skills that made Wilt/Kareem great would still allow them to get buckets today. I think wing play has advanced a lot though, can't really see a guy like Baylor putting up big numbers.
Why not? What's so different about what he's doing vs what Lebron or Kobe does?

http://youtu.be/NseHzlD9rU0
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy