Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation
Default Who else remember when Kareem retired?

I know I'm older than most of the board...

His final season, every single final road game in every NBA city, a ceremony was held pregame for Kareem where he was given a gift and recognition and a chance for the crowd to see him. I remember his gifts ranging from a gigantic rocking chair to a fancy car. I think the Lakers actually might have been the ones to give him the car, maybe it was a Rolls Royce. Kareem is totally non materialistic and I remember you could sorta tell he wasn't going to drive it and didn't give a **** about a fancy car. One thing I'm not sure on, is him coming back for a last season. I think all year long they he said he was retiring, and he came back for one more. ???

This thread is spawned from the news that he is finally getting a statue. About damn time. No doubt about it, he would be a much more visible within the NBA today if his name wasn't Muslim.

Truth is, considering his dominance in the sport from HS to the pros, it wouldn't have been strange at all for the NBA to retire his number 33 the way the NHL did 99 the moment Kareem retired.

It's sad to see the disrespect towards Kareem idiots here are throwing at him. Many of whom are Kobe/Laker fans? Like WTF is that about? It would have been straight comedy to see Kareem play in the game today. MVP's might have reached the double digits. Scott Skiles said Shaq deserved 8 MVPs. So no I am not joking about Kareem getting 10.

Hopefully the statue ceremony goes off classy, congrats Big Cap. I have a feeling a lot of his old teammates will come to see it happen.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who else remember when Kareem retired?

Yes, I remember that. The "going away tour" used to be tradition for the big stars. Kareem's seemed a little over the top and was the last one before this tradition went away.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
ThaRegul8r

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

Seeing as how I was watching basketball at the time, yes, I recall.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force

His final season, every single final road game in every NBA city, a ceremony was held pregame for Kareem where he was given a gift and recognition and a chance for the crowd to see him. I remember his gifts ranging from a gigantic rocking chair to a fancy car. I think the Lakers actually might have been the ones to give him the car, maybe it was a Rolls Royce. Kareem is totally non materialistic and I remember you could sorta tell he wasn't going to drive it and didn't give a **** about a fancy car. One thing I'm not sure on, is him coming back for a last season. I think all year long they he said he was retiring, and he came back for one more. ???

This thread is spawned from the news that he is finally getting a statue. About damn time. No doubt about it, he would be a much more visible within the NBA today if his name wasn't Muslim.

Truth is, considering his dominance in the sport from HS to the pros, it wouldn't have been strange at all for the NBA to retire his number 33 the way the NHL did 99 the moment Kareem retired.

It's sad to see the disrespect towards Kareem idiots here are throwing at him. Many of whom are Kobe/Laker fans? Like WTF is that about? It would have been straight comedy to see Kareem play in the game today. MVP's might have reached the double digits. Scott Skiles said Shaq deserved 8 MVPs. So no I am not joking about Kareem getting 10.

Hopefully the statue ceremony goes off classy, congrats Big Cap. I have a feeling a lot of his old teammates will come to see it happen.

I was still years away from watching bastketball at the time, so I missed the Kareem Era. But it is nice to see people actually showing respect on here. Amazing how so many people bring up his attitude when talking about him. Who cares? The guy is no worse than the 2nd best player in NBA history. Kareem is by far the #1 player I wish I could have seen play live. I have 3 different Kareem/Lakers DVDs, online footage, books, etc. on him. So I might be biased. I love watching his game/style.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year

Pointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I remember Magic getting after teams for giving him cheap retirement gifts as well.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat coolAlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat cool

yeah it was cool....everywhere he went is was like his last Birthday party....

CAP deserves a statue more then any Laker Big...

- sidenote: a co worker used to live in Kareem's apartment complex in Santa Monica...he said Kareem lived in a small apartment by himself during part of the basketball season ....(coworker) used to see him sometimes and say HI.....Kareem would just wave his hand and say hello.....always by himself.

seems like a real quit guy...

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 08-28-2012 at 12:21 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
magictricked
Great young streetballer

magictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation here

He got some fairly lavish gifts during that time. I remember a motorcycle, Harley I think, A huge rocking chair, Lakers players themselves bought him a Rolls Royce I believe
magictricked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Oh yeah. I remember when Kareem retired. All of those gifts ad outpouring of support for such a great dude. It was awesome. Sad to see that it has Lakers this long to pay respects to Kareem. The day he retired, the Laker folks should have created something then. Congrats, Cap!!!
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
atljonesbro

atljonesbro has decent reputation

Quote:

Show me factual proof and I'll believe you. How do you know he would dominate that much? Oh yeah because you say so lol. You literally have no way of proving that he would come in and dominate more than he did. ZERO evidence. Another typical "Lets overrate the shit out of someone who's a top 5 player all time ALREADY because he played in an older era!"
atljonesbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Kobe 4 The Win
Chasing Legends

Kobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected posterKobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected posterKobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected poster

I was young but I remember it. The Lakers gave him a Rolls. His farewell in Madison Square Garden was pretty huge. I agree that Kareem would dominate in todays NBA. I don't know about 10 MVPs but right now there aren't a lot of centers that could give Kareem trouble. He was really tall and skilled and the there is only 1 elite center right now and he is like 6'10. The Skyhook would be devastating in any era.

atljonesbro - 99% of what is said here on ISH is a matter of opinion with no way to provide factual proof. If you disagree fine but I'm not sure I understand your meltdown. If you think people overrate players form older eras there are just as many who overrate current players. We'll never know who's right.
Kobe 4 The Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
The Iron Fist
Great college starter

The Iron Fist is starting to rub some people the wrong wayThe Iron Fist is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Yes, I remember that. The "going away tour" used to be tradition for the big stars. Kareem's seemed a little over the top and was the last one before this tradition went away.
There hasnt been any player worthy of a sendoff like Kareem had though.
The Iron Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:

Kareem not getting a statue has absolutely nothing to do with him being a Muslim, that is the most ridiculous thing you could have said.....it is because Kareem is a world class A-Hole to everyone, nobody likes the guy for very good reason. He didn't speak to Magic for their first 5 years playing together......this despite Magic being his biggest fan, constantly telling everyone how great Kareem was....and they were winning titles!!!!

Back to the exact topic, I am probably the oldest guy on here and yes I remember the Farewell Tour, I think the funniest gift he got was the surfboard, it WAS big enough for him.

Kareem non-materialistic???? Is that why he lived in Bel Air and drove a Mercedes

Kareem drove a tiny 2 seat Mercedes Benz during the Showtime years, I used to make bets with people that it was his car, they were gleeful thinking they were getting easy money, then Kareem would come out, walk up the ramp, rear exit of the Forum ignoring or cursing out anyone who dared say hello, then opening the door of the car. The seat was pushed all the way back and tilted back as far as possible, Kareem would go in head first to the back and pull his legs in and then drive off. The slightest fender bender could have killed the guy or ended his career. Most times once the shock wore off, the bet losers would curse and then pay me....they all paid up, never a problem.......easy money for me. I had season tickets for over 45 years.

One more note, in the Billy Crystal / Debra Winger movie "Forget Paris" there is a BIG Scene where they are doing a farewell for Kareem and things get extremely crazy, Watch that movie, it 's great, laughs all the way through and a lot of basketball stars/action .....Billy Crystal plays a basketball ref.

Last edited by DKLaker : 08-28-2012 at 06:45 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Fist
There hasnt been any player worthy of a sendoff like Kareem had though.

MJ, Wilt, Magic, Bird, West who is the freaking Logo......IMO you are wrong.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kareem King of Comedy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2A194yTWoQ

Mad Swag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSoX6qB9N0
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I remember...

He got honored at every arena just like Dr. J did.

I didn't get to see Kareems last game in Oakland (I'm from the Bay) but my Dad took me to Dr. J's I even got Dr. J to sign my program...still have it till this day. Will not ever sell it.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: