Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hakeem Olajuwon says JaVale McGee should dominate the NBA

"Over the past few years, we've discussed Hakeem Olajuwon's very pricey coaching sessions on NBA post play with players ranging from LeBron James to Dwight Howard. Yet, while Hakeem's tutoring has produced positive results, those players also started out as established stars. As yet, Olajuwon has yet to tute someone who hasn't yet made an All-Star team.
    His summer work with Denver Nuggets center JaVale McGee, then, holds a great deal of interest. In addition to being a player who hasn't yet fulfilled most of his considerable potential, McGee is also seen as one of the NBA's great blank slates, potentially a perennial All-Star but a player who hasn't yet received much in the way of proper instruction.
    Hakeem, for his part, sees the same level of promise. In fact, after working with JaVale recently, Olajuwon says that McGee should dominate the league. From Mark Berman for MyFoxHouston.com (via PBT):
    "No question, I see him as another star," Olajuwon said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "That guy should dominate the league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...9998--nba.html

What do you guys think, does Mcgee have the potential if he puts his MIND to it

Last edited by insidehoops; 08-19-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Default Re: Hakeem Olajuwon says JaVale McGee should dominate the NBA

Does McGee even have a mind?

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    "Over the past few years, we've discussed Hakeem Olajuwon's very pricey coaching sessions on NBA post play with players ranging from LeBron James to Dwight Howard. Yet, while Hakeem's tutoring has produced positive results, those players also started out as established stars. As yet, Olajuwon has yet to tute someone who hasn't yet made an All-Star team.
    he has worked with emeka okafor and josh smith

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    as well as Moe Harkless a rookie

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    Yeah but that doesn't fit the "let's hype McGee" agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Does McGee even have a mind?
    I don't know, you tell me? I see a basketball genius like Bird, Russell and Duncan waiting to happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSYA3Gb7oI

Banned

Would drop 50 on Wilt blindfolded.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

He'll never be a star. I think his basketball IQ is too low. He'll show a crazy move and make you go holy shit but than he'll turn around and try to do that move in a situation where an 11 year old would know that it won't work. As a Nuggets fan I don't really mind. Most of the mistakes he's made have been from trying to do to much, effort is never a problem. I think with the center crop in today's game he could potentially be an All-Star caliber player if things go right. Think like 15\10 and 2 blocks on a Nuggets team that's winning games.

This year will be the big test. In his brief time with the Nuggets in a more reduced role he never made that boneheaded plays. There wasn't one play that made you LOL like when he was in Washington. He actually had a game winning tip that he showed huge restraint waiting to avoid the goaltend which before coming to Denver I thought would be impossible.

Consistency and knowing when and when not to use his moves and keeping the mistakes low in starting minutes will be the key to how successful he is.

Also I remember reading somewhere that McGee never got a big man coach before? The Wizards never set anything up? Can any Wizards fans comment on that?

Way too many "yet"s in the first two paragraphs.

Anyway, watching Mcgee during the Lakers-Nuggets series really showed me that he has a pretty impressive repertoire of moves that he can pull out on the offensive end. Those moves all tend to be complemented very well by his great wingspan too. With Hakeem's tutelage, I really wouldn't be too surprised to see Mcgee bust out some great looking hooks and good, wide spin moves to set up a variety of shots like that very nice Chamberlain finger roll he uses from time to time. Looking forward to seeing this guy develop.

Quote Originally Posted by KLovin
    Way too many "yet"s in the first two paragraphs.

Anyway, watching Mcgee during the Lakers-Nuggets series really showed me that he has a pretty impressive repertoire of moves that he can pull out on the offensive end. Those moves all tend to be complemented very well by his great wingspan too. With Hakeem's tutelage, I really wouldn't be too surprised to see Mcgee bust out some great looking hooks and good, wide spin moves to set up a variety of shots like that very nice Chamberlain finger roll he uses from time to time. Looking forward to seeing this guy develop.
    when he busted out that finger roll I said to myself "of all the players to bring that classic Wilt move back....MCGEE!?" haha

nba finals towel boy Kyle_korver's Avatar

hes gonna be a star watch!!... he has his moments when he shows flashes.. he was doing work against bynum and gasol last year n i recall him gettin a triple double with points rebounds and blocks on the wizards... coach karl is gonna mold him into a very good player.. watch

He definitely has star "potential". The tools are there. It's certaintly a very good risk Nuggets took in trading and signing him long term. There aren't many centers with his abilities.

If they could JUST teach him to run right way on defense, I think might work.

Banned

He will still be a bonehead on D with no positional awareness, and also he will still be a tunnel-vision bonehead on offense, however that might not matter if he does actually gain a few decent moves, he'd be able to dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    He'll never be a star. I think his basketball IQ is too low. He'll show a crazy move and make you go holy shit but than he'll turn around and try to do that move in a situation where an 11 year old would know that it won't work. As a Nuggets fan I don't really mind. Most of the mistakes he's made have been from trying to do to much, effort is never a problem. I think with the center crop in today's game he could potentially be an All-Star caliber player if things go right. Think like 15\10 and 2 blocks on a Nuggets team that's winning games.

This year will be the big test. In his brief time with the Nuggets in a more reduced role he never made that boneheaded plays. There wasn't one play that made you LOL like when he was in Washington. He actually had a game winning tip that he showed huge restraint waiting to avoid the goaltend which before coming to Denver I thought would be impossible.

Consistency and knowing when and when not to use his moves and keeping the mistakes low in starting minutes will be the key to how successful he is.

Also I remember reading somewhere that McGee never got a big man coach before? The Wizards never set anything up? Can any Wizards fans comment on that?
    There's a really good article on him in SI. I will try to find it. Gave you a good perspective on him both good and bad. Seems like a great guy, reminds me a bit of Artest, who everyone loves when you ask about him, but can't get out of his own way (but with his idiosynchrisies not being violent, just stupid).

I wish he had a better mind..or more maturity...That guys size and athletic ability + a good basketball mind could do a hell of a lot of damage