Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Struggling with Depression

How are you doing now?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #32
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I have prerty strong highs and lows too (not bipolar but damn close)

On low days, not exactly suicidal, but feel like expending energy one last time for a sacrifice.

Anywho.

Let's do a six part plan.

Physical/Diet
- Lower carbs, up the fats. Fat is linked to good mood. Higher your testosterone gradually.
- Up the veggie intake, lower the procsesed food intake.
- Do lots of heavy lifting and or sprinting. Jogging for 45 min is am ood regulator even at a slow pace.
- STAND UPRIGHT. SMILE HARD LIKE YOU JUST STOLE DA COOKIE FROM DA COOKIE JAR AND CAUGHT AWAY WITH IT. i mean GOT. SPREAD YOUR ARMS. EMBRACE
- Shuffle out 30$. Purchase:
Niacin
Fish Oil
Vit D (5,000)

Take 2 servings of the first, 3 of the second, and 1 tablet of the third. Thank me later.

Spiritual
- You seem Christian.. so read the BIble. Understand that this is an ancient book. Remember the millions before you that suffered and that at he end they PREVAILED and beat down that bullsh!t grief and becamef ulfilled men. Millions. That all things pass. The Proverbs Psalms and Ecclestiases. Remember how important love is.. and love can not be defeated.
- Read POWER OF NOW or A NEW EARTH. Live in the moment, mindfully. Do not dwell on the past or psych yourself out about the future. Oh, and don't fear death. But if you do, then get busy living or get busy dying.
- Take deeper breaths. Literally 5 seconds in 5 seconds hold 5 seconds out 2 seconds hold. FOcus on that.
- As PUJ said it's all in your head. EVery single self help book works to a degree on one principle and one principle only.. the way you see things. F.E. if a positive person got into a fight got the sh!t beat out of him and got robbed, he'd PERCEIVE that as an awesome painful experience (something necessary for a fulfililng life) and he'll come back stronger/wealthier and maybe have a laugh in the future. A negative low energy person would cry and let the universe beat him down.
- Write a grateful journal. I'm one of the most grateful people I know.. to the point where its sickening. Like I'll literally be drinking a glass of water or taking a shower or walking outside my backyard and think to myself goddamn is life good thank u kindly for the clean water and the clean air that im like thank u lord for givin me a chance to quench my thrist, breathe in that delicious new engalnd air and for the CHANCE to kick azz at life.
. Shit works. Just don't be too grateful in the presence of other people, it comes off as servile and tryhard

Ridonks was right on the money with busy. ACTION is the antidote to DESPAIR.

Social
- What is it exactly about a relationship that appeals to you? Is it the fact that there's someone in the world who cares about you? THat' seasily accessible.. just quickly recall a time a family member went out of their way to help u, or a classmate or a friend.
- Is it intimacy? Because as much as America frowns down upon it, guys can be intimate with each other. There is nothing gay or homo about sharing experiences through life and how you're coping with it. Matter of fact, nearly all patriarchal cultures have extreme emphasis on brotherhood and friendship as a rite of passage and iirc they are pretty emotional healthy. Girls do quite well in this department because they don't feel
ashamed of making themselves vulnerable in front of others and hence having a great social support system to help them through life.
- And if it's sex and tenderness and the reckless feeling of being enamored and that sweet energy u feel when ur with a gal u like, then by all means pursue it.
- Surround yourself with people who are just like you and love to help. Teachers. Doctors. Nurses. Social Workers. Physical Therapists. Philantrophists. Community Organizers. etc. etc. or if you're an egotistical prick like me then surround yourself with selfish a$$holes and "feel special" cuz u got a heart of gold

Personal
- Who are you?
- What do you stand for?
- What do you hav eto offer to the world
- Do you feel anxious, ashamed, guilty? If so, target it. Frogive yourself. ANdproceed
- What defines you?
- What are some fun and fulfilling things you can do to stay true to yourself.
- Why do you like to help?

gl
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #33
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

How old are you? In school?

I've never had much of a reason to really be depressed but I can remember times not too long ago where I would just feel sick inside. I've sat in the dark crying for really not much of a reason. The worse part of it all was me feeling sorry for yourself, theres nothing worse than that. It usually wasn't even anything in particular, but I wouldn't doubt it being caused by me being a complete loner.

I think some of it had to do with me not being sure what direction I was headed in school. I was just kind of going but in the back of my mind I knew that I wasn't going to make a success of it, but now that I've changed my major thats no longer a problem.

The "get better" advice is good. Use your mood as motivation in working out. If you feel good about your body that can take you a long way. And you don't need to go to a gym if you'd rather go it alone(though I guess that could be part of the problem?). Me being a loner I never went out to work out, do it at home if thats what you prefer.

Quote:
1. exercise
2. eat healthy
3. find spiritual health
These three will definitely do a lot for you

Last edited by BuGzBuNNy : 11-18-2012 at 11:28 PM.
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #34
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

depression is a b!tch, my friend. it runs in my father's side of the family. both my older sister and him take medicine for it. my dad suffered from it for years. he was ALWAYS extremely grouchy, starting arguments with my mom and he stayed in his room all day long. growing up with him was a nightmare.

i don't really know that it affects me much any more. i do get mood swings and i'm always sleepy, not sure if that's from me working nights, being overweight or depression. i had a bad panic attack last week and i'm hoping that it was an isolated incident.

like someone stated, keep busy. my kids keep me on my toes most of the time and keep my mind occupied. exercising is also a great way to keep depression at bay. taking meds would be my last resort of advice for anyone. i don't like the idea of using chemicals to alter my natural thinking

of course you could always move to colorado and smoke the ganga legally.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #35
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

There is no cure for real clinical depression. I suffered from a severe depression for almost a year. Before experiencing my depression, I was in the same boat as most the posters here. I had no understanding of the disease, and my common response was, "just get up and do something", or, "just man up".

I can tell you that I've always considered myself an intelligent and mentally strong person, but depression turned my into emotionless zombie. I couldn't do basic daily activities, and I had no excuse as to why I couldn't do them, other then I just couldn't. I would walk my dog once a day, which as about my only physical activity, and I would look at kids playing basketball... and tears would come to my eyes. I loved basketball, I wanted to play Basketball... but I couldn't. My body and mind were in a prison, and despite my recognition of the condition, it was impossible to pull out. I can honestly say I reached a point where I understood why people kill themselves. I don't believe I ever actually considered taking my own life, because I understood I was suffering from a disease, but I felt like there was nothing to live for.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that unless you have suffered from real clinical depression, it's impossible to understand the mindset of someone who is depressed. My advice would be to study the disease, and understand what you're dealing with. Try and tell other people, friends and family, that you believe you are dealing with depression. One of the worst parts of the disease is that it becomes shameful, and you want to isolate yourself from loved ones, which only makes the situation worse. Embrace your condition, tell the people who care about you that you are having trouble, and don't be ashamed.

I believe one of the major contributors to my recovery was also returning to school. I had already turned the corner, but returning to school to pursue a career in real estate really seemed to accelerate my recovery.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #36
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Agreed bdreason.

I f*cking hate people who pass judgment on others for commiting suicide or complaining about real depression with their manly rhetoric.

Such a boost to the ego to say "grow some balls" idn't it?

Who the f*ck knows how someone feels?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #37
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

You are going thru what we learn and call in martial artists "sanchin", it interprets often as "three battles" and relates to the three journeys of life; the battle to unify the mind, body, and spirit... its "cliche" you may think, but it is 100% accurate...

How? Its very simple, but only you can do it... it can be as simple as working out/sports(martial arts? anything!), it will make you feel extremly good mentally & physically (trust me on this one, i guarantee you, i do) and will give you the confidence for many things in life! Train your mind, study, educate, read (preferably something educational and motivational, something that interests you), the consequences of this are very powerful.... the spirit & mental part will come... after that its just about attacking life...

You are not depressed, i hate that word so much, you are only lazy and/or bored (yes you are my friend! if not mentally then its physically, if not both! no excuses!)... pick yourself up, do one of those bitchslaps on yourself and get the hell out... what are you afraid of? You wont die trying (only the opposite actually)... you will only die not trying, mentally first... its not hard at all, not at all.......

Last edited by pauk : 11-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #38
chips93
Very good NBA starter

chips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
- STAND UPRIGHT. SMILE HARD LIKE YOU JUST STOLE DA COOKIE FROM DA COOKIE JAR AND CAUGHT AWAY WITH IT. i mean GOT. SPREAD YOUR ARMS. EMBRACE

maybe its just me, but this is the worst thing when i feel shitty, feeling obligated to be nice to people, and act happy, and to pretend im in a good place when im not.

feeling like i have to hide being sad, thats the worst for me

Last edited by chips93 : 11-19-2012 at 04:35 PM.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #39
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
maybe its just me, but this is the worst thing when i feel shitty, feeling obligated to be nice to people, and act happy, and to pretend im in a good place when im not.

feeling like i have to hide being sad, thats the worst for me

No one said anything about doing this for other people.
Matter of fact it's better not to be fake.

Putting yourself in that physical position "it's called a power pose" directly produces more testosterone in your body (serious) and puts you at a slightly elevated mood.

The mind and the body are intertwined, and fake it till you make it is legit.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #40
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Agreed bdreason.

I f*cking hate people who pass judgment on others for commiting suicide or complaining about real depression with their manly rhetoric.

Such a boost to the ego to say "grow some balls" idn't it?

Who the f*ck knows how someone feels?

You are hating them only because they are right... suicide is an act from either a weak minded or a mentally challenged person, its a permanent solution to a temporary problem, a problem which in most cases is just outright laughable compared to what a real problem in life is...

Any human who does suicide is just outright disrespectful especially in my point of view unless the problem was a real problem... i dont know if you know this, but i am from Bosnia and if i ever told you what i and my family, friends, relatives had to go through and what i have seen with my own eyes right infront of me... let me just tell you, you dont know what a real god damn problem is, you dont, you have never faced a problem with a capital P... talk about life partypooping your plans for your future huh???? Those weak persons that contemplate suicide probably desperately NEED this reality check, if you lived thru that then im sure you wont contemplate suicide with reasons later such as "my wife divorced me and took my kids, i cant live without her, i also lost my job, boohoo"... To hell with that! You lived thru dodging bullets running to the grocery store, seeing corpse, seeing brains splattered allover your porch, seeing your relative die, seeing your house burn down, being hostage, "sleeping" with explosions in the background and many other fancy things......

After all that you want suicide? For some other "problem" basically even the most spoiled princess ever can face........ sorry, but eff yourself... The only real problems you have seen is on TV.... (not directing all this to you J-Money, but you know, to anybody who thinks suicide can be a good choice with these normal obligatory problems every human has faced or will face in a typical normal life)

Last edited by pauk : 11-19-2012 at 05:10 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #41
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

alenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong way

as i get older i feel depressed sometimes too, like im missing out in my life and should do things that i wanna do, visit new places, new people from other countries etc... so im thinking of going on a student work and travel program in usa... should be fun

never had weight problems though i suggest going to the gym
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #42
blablabla

blablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^you are so full of shit pauk
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #43
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
There is no cure for real clinical depression. I suffered from a severe depression for almost a year. Before experiencing my depression, I was in the same boat as most the posters here. I had no understanding of the disease, and my common response was, "just get up and do something", or, "just man up".

I can tell you that I've always considered myself an intelligent and mentally strong person, but depression turned my into emotionless zombie. I couldn't do basic daily activities, and I had no excuse as to why I couldn't do them, other then I just couldn't. I would walk my dog once a day, which as about my only physical activity, and I would look at kids playing basketball... and tears would come to my eyes. I loved basketball, I wanted to play Basketball... but I couldn't. My body and mind were in a prison, and despite my recognition of the condition, it was impossible to pull out. I can honestly say I reached a point where I understood why people kill themselves. I don't believe I ever actually considered taking my own life, because I understood I was suffering from a disease, but I felt like there was nothing to live for.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that unless you have suffered from real clinical depression, it's impossible to understand the mindset of someone who is depressed. My advice would be to study the disease, and understand what you're dealing with. Try and tell other people, friends and family, that you believe you are dealing with depression. One of the worst parts of the disease is that it becomes shameful, and you want to isolate yourself from loved ones, which only makes the situation worse. Embrace your condition, tell the people who care about you that you are having trouble, and don't be ashamed.

I believe one of the major contributors to my recovery was also returning to school. I had already turned the corner, but returning to school to pursue a career in real estate really seemed to accelerate my recovery.
Good stuff. I read through this thread yesterday and wanted to say something about how it's not as controllable as many like to believe, but I didn't really have a leg to stand on because I had not experienced it firsthand. I mean, I've had downs, but I don't think I've ever been honestly depressed.

Still, I've read a bit about depression (nothing too deep) and the consistent theme I've gathered is that it's not as simple as just getting up and doing something. I think there's a difference between being down (like I've been from time to time) and being honestly depressed. When I'm down about something, I feel really bummed, and it can last for a while, but it's not entirely debilitating. On the flip side, from all I've heard, depression is in fact debilitating. It's not just a matter of feeling too lazy to do something, it's legitimately having no will or ability to do so. As such, when people are honestly depressed, I try to understand it's different and not as readily changeable as just being a little bummed out for a while.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #44
Duderonomy
Nothing but NETS

Duderonomy has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
Has anyone gone through depression before?

It started out with loneliness (friends moving out of state, friends getting into serious relationships/getting married), and now I'm just depressed all the time. I have lost interest in so many things. Just trying to listen to music or watching a television show I immediately lose interest and end up just staring at the ceiling or my computer screen. I have put on a lot of weight over this past year (went from 150 to 185) and just don't have any confidence in even attempt to get into a relationship. I don't mean to whine or complain but this just sucks. Any advice? Or ways of getting out of this?
remember man, "You can't change the world by sitting on your couch. "
Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #45
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason

Man, this hits home. I saw something traumatic happen several years ago and was in your position for about a year as well. You just feel stuck.. hardest part of the day was getting out of bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
You are hating them only because they are right... suicide is an act from either a weak minded or a mentally challenged person, its a permanent solution to a temporary problem, a problem which in most cases is just outright laughable compared to what a real problem in life is...

Any human who does suicide is just outright disrespectful especially in my point of view unless the problem was a real problem... i dont know if you know this, but i am from Bosnia and if i ever told you what i and my family, friends, relatives had to go through and what i have seen with my own eyes right infront of me... let me just tell you, you dont know what a real god damn problem is, you dont, you have never faced a problem with a capital P... talk about life partypooping your plans for your future huh???? Those weak persons that contemplate suicide probably desperately NEED this reality check, if you lived thru that then im sure you wont contemplate suicide with reasons later such as "my wife divorced me and took my kids, i cant live without her, i also lost my job, boohoo"... To hell with that! You lived thru dodging bullets running to the grocery store, seeing corpse, seeing brains splattered allover your porch, seeing your relative die, seeing your house burn down, being hostage, "sleeping" with explosions in the background and many other fancy things......

After all that you want suicide? For some other "problem" basically even the most spoiled princess ever can face........ sorry, but eff yourself... The only real problems you have seen is on TV.... (not directing all this to you J-Money, but you know, to anybody who thinks suicide can be a good choice with these normal obligatory problems every human has faced or will face in a typical normal life)
What exactly do you think depression is? It's never rational. There's an imbalance in your brain chemistry and some people have a genetic disposition for it, meaning they are more susceptible to triggers than others. Who are you to judge what problems are worthy of causing depression?
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: