Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fans are starting to realize 81 points is a record...

da fuq? ofc 81 points is a record you dumbass. it's in the record books. right below Wilt's.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    In Wilt's 100 point game, a 6'6" center was guarding him.
    That is like Kobe guarding Shaq in the post. It's a joke of an era. 6'6" - 6'8" centers
    Darral Imhoff

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...imhofda01.html

6'10" measured barefoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-kLorJbWhY

Imhoff speaks on how the backup center was 6'8"...also that Wilt beasted him and forced him to foul four times almost immediately

That is like Kobe guarding Shaq in the post. It's a joke of an era. 6'6" - 6'8" centers
    It was the backup center at that

I was at the 81 point game, Kobe had 25 at the half and the Lakers were losing. I told my friend that Kobe would have to score at least 50 to win the game.......I had no freaking clue what was about to happen.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    @ bolded part...So what you are telling me is that there are going to be no more rule changes in the NBA. Okaaaay...
    Obviously not, but it's pretty irrelevant to his point.

Banned

ISH

Where 81 points is better than 100 points.

Book 'em Dan'l

where is jlauber to put this fool in his place?

I rule the local playground Linspired's Avatar

Chuck is 6'6" - 6'7"

lol you are an idiot. he is standing in front and he is wearing shoes

All I hear in this thread is "Wilt scored 100 points but let's pretend he didn't."

Are people high?

Records don't change just because time passes. Roger Maris' 61 home runs wasn't randomly disregarded after decades. And if anything, baseball changed a hell of a lot more than basketball...

I usually hit open layups

It was my understanding Wilt's 100 points was a result of the other team fouling and boosting him/allowing him to score for the purpose to set that record, that's why I never give it as much credit.

Learning to shoot layups Halcon's Avatar

MLB actually wanted to put an asterisk next to Maris' record. lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    in "modern" basketball. When all rules are finalized. I know most people want to say that Wilt's 100 is a record but not in Modern basketball.

When Wilt supposedly scored this many points it was a time when basketball was in it's infancy. Over the course of decades the game has been tweaked and rules have been implemented to create fair play.

Since 1978 and beyond is when the game of basketball was very similar to what it is today. The rules of past is no good in today's league. Therefore, many have accepted 81 points as the official scoring record in "modern" basketball.

If GAWDBe play in Wilt era he will score 200 points easily and fouled out every opposing player...

Luchini from the sky TheAnchorman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lock
    It was my understanding Wilt's 100 points was a result of the other team fouling and boosting him/allowing him to score for the purpose to set that record, that's why I never give it as much credit.
    This. The way he got those last 30 points sometime in the 4th quarter was pretty sketchy too... it was a blowout, your team was feeding you the ball everytime, and apparently Wilt would just stand around under the other teams basket, just waiting for the ball to be given to him so he can just dunk it or lay it in. In addition the Warriors intentioanlly put in bench players around Chamberlain during the 4th quarter, with the sole purpose of fouling the Knicks so that they coudl get the ball back to Chamberlain as soon as possible. Not exactly basketball the way its meant tob e played.

Technically still the record, but I find Kobe's 81 more impressive.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnchorman
    This. The way he got those last 30 points sometime in the 4th quarter was pretty sketchy too... it was a blowout, your team was feeding you the ball everytime, and apparently Wilt would just stand around under the other teams basket, just waiting for the ball to be given to him so he can just dunk it or lay it in. In addition the Warriors intentioanlly put in bench players around Chamberlain during the 4th quarter, with the sole purpose of fouling the Knicks so that they coudl get the ball back to Chamberlain as soon as possible. Not exactly basketball the way its meant tob e played.

Technically still the record, but I find Kobe's 81 more impressive.
    That's because the knicks were purposely fouling the warriors except for their center and drove ball as slow as they could to deny Wilt getting his record. The game also didn't end in a blowout.

Either 100>81 But they're way better game then these 2 regular season games against scrubs.

Yep this, plus wilt was practically the entire team for the Sixers at that point. If you look at how many FG's he attempted per game it was like 60-80% of the team's entire FG attempts. Not to mention the average size of the NBA players was a couple of whole inches shorter, also players were obviously not as quick and athletic as they are today.

Plus kobe's 81 point game was entirely televised and recorded while people have to go on eye-witnesses testimony and accounts to remember Wilt's game. The fact that Kobe was playing in front of a couple of million viewers vs Wilt playing to a couple of thousand people at an arena has a lot to do with it as well.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    This is obviously just an attempt to give Kobe the record. Why can't we just be satisfied with what he's done? It was absolutely incredible we don't need to discount other things to make it even more so.
    Good point. OP always makes awful thread