Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2018, 02:13 AM   #1
AussieSteve
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 899
Default Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

1990
Barkley won the Sporting News MVP and polled by far the most 1st place votes in the official MVP. Clearly he was considered the most valuable player in the league by the vast majority. That biased voting cost Chuck that MVP is generally accepted. No doubt if votes were made public back then, as they are now, he wins that award.

1991
Barkley was widely considered to be an MVP front runner for more than 3/4 of the season, before he was injured in late March (for a discussion on this see the late third quarter commentary during game 1 of the 76ers v Bulls ECSF on YouTube)

1993
Barkley again won the Sporting News MVP and won the official MVP in a landslide. No one debates he was the deserving MVP that year.

Only 8 players in history have won both the official and Sporting News MVP more than once (It's fair to say that LeBron would have also if they didn't discontinue the SN MVP after 2007). That puts Barkley in some elite company. Especially considering who else was at his peak while he was doing this.

That Barkley was thought of as MVP by most more often than not from 1990 to 1993, while the best player of all time was in his peak, just goes to prove how massively under rated he is by most these days.

Top 10 peak all time IMHO

Last edited by AussieSteve : 05-19-2018 at 02:16 AM.
AussieSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:18 AM   #2
MrFonzworth
Data Pagan
 
MrFonzworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7,925
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Just bumped Chuck to #12 and took Jordan down to #2, great thread OP. 5 stars
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:32 AM   #3
CAstill
The GOATS
 
CAstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,030
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSteve
1990
Barkley won the Sporting News MVP and polled by far the most 1st place votes in the official MVP. Clearly he was considered the most valuable player in the league by the vast majority. That biased voting cost Chuck that MVP is generally accepted. No doubt if votes were made public back then, as they are now, he wins that award.

1991
Barkley was widely considered to be an MVP front runner for more than 3/4 of the season, before he was injured in late March (for a discussion on this see the late third quarter commentary during game 1 of the 76ers v Bulls ECSF on YouTube)

1993
Barkley again won the Sporting News MVP and won the official MVP in a landslide. No one debates he was the deserving MVP that year.

Only 8 players in history have won both the official and Sporting News MVP more than once (It's fair to say that LeBron would have also if they didn't discontinue the SN MVP after 2007). That puts Barkley in some elite company. Especially considering who else was at his peak while he was doing this.

That Barkley was thought of as MVP by most more often than not from 1990 to 1993, while the best player of all time was in his peak, just goes to prove how massively under rated he is by most these days.

Top 10 peak all time IMHO


Barkley is top 25 all time. Probably the best offensive forward ever other than Dirk. He just didnít have the work ethic to win over Jordan. He worked hard enough to win a title but just not over Jordan.
CAstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #4
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year
 
Round Mound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,836
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSteve
1990
Barkley won the Sporting News MVP and polled by far the most 1st place votes in the official MVP. Clearly he was considered the most valuable player in the league by the vast majority. That biased voting cost Chuck that MVP is generally accepted. No doubt if votes were made public back then, as they are now, he wins that award.

1991
Barkley was widely considered to be an MVP front runner for more than 3/4 of the season, before he was injured in late March (for a discussion on this see the late third quarter commentary during game 1 of the 76ers v Bulls ECSF on YouTube)

1993
Barkley again won the Sporting News MVP and won the official MVP in a landslide. No one debates he was the deserving MVP that year.

Only 8 players in history have won both the official and Sporting News MVP more than once (It's fair to say that LeBron would have also if they didn't discontinue the SN MVP after 2007). That puts Barkley in some elite company. Especially considering who else was at his peak while he was doing this.

That Barkley was thought of as MVP by most more often than not from 1990 to 1993, while the best player of all time was in his peak, just goes to prove how massively under rated he is by most these days.

Top 10 peak all time IMHO

Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:18 AM   #5
JohnMax
NBA lottery pick
 
JohnMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Barkley > Lebron

If he team hopped to superteams and had refs rigging for him, he'd be better than 3/8.
JohnMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:19 AM   #6
Akrazotile
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 15,490
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMax
Barkley > Lebron

If he team hopped to superteams and had refs rigging for him, he'd be better than 3/8.


Do you want me to ****ing fight you bro??
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:23 AM   #7
diamenz
National High School Star
 
diamenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,041
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrazotile
Do you want me to ****ing fight you bro??

wanna fight, huh!? wanna fight!?
diamenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:40 AM   #8
riseagainst
Laker Nation
 
riseagainst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,369
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAstill
Barkley is top 25 all time. Probably the best offensive forward ever other than Dirk. He just didnít have the work ethic to win over Jordan. He worked hard enough to win a title but just not over Jordan.

He also didn't have the stacked team that Jordan had.
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:23 AM   #9
Manny98
Good college starter
 
Manny98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,025
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Interesting i might have to bump MJ down on my GOAT list after reading this.
Manny98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #10
MrFonzworth
Data Pagan
 
MrFonzworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7,925
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamenz
wanna fight, huh!? wanna fight!?
Wrong alt
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #11
CAstill
The GOATS
 
CAstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,030
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainst
He also didn't have the stacked team that Jordan had.



I actually watched all of Barkley and Jordanís career. The Bulls were never considered ďstackedĒ Those Suns team actually had more firepower than the Bulls itís just that Jordan refused to ever lose. Quit telling yourself any other narrative because itís simply not true.
CAstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #12
AussieSteve
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 899
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Here is the winners list of the two main MVP awards over Jordan's last 9 full seasons, with all non-Jordan winners bolded:

Year: Official NBA / Sporting News
1988: Jordan / Jordan
1989: Magic / Jordan
1990: Barkley* / Barkley
1991: Jordan / Jordan
1992: Jordan / Jordan
1993: Barkley / Barkley
--
1996: Jordan / Jordan
1997: Malone / Jordan
1998: Jordan / Jordan

Two things are immediately obvious. 1. Jordan's dominance is unparalleled, 2. Barkley was the only player ever who was the clear cut MVP over Jordan in his prime... and he was twice.

*Magic is the listed winner, but Barkley won the 1st place count 38 to Magic's 27, while a bunch of Magic voters left Barkley off their ballot completely to boost Magic's chances.
AussieSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:02 AM   #13
ImKobe
From the words of Zeus
 
ImKobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 16,322
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Barkley had some deep ass teams & this is pretty much where the "best storyline" MVPs started, because Jordan was so dominant and clearly the best player in the game every year. There's no year (in the 90s) where Jordan played a full season and put up worse numbers than Charles, Charles however had good teams around him, that had him win enough games to be in MVP consideration. Man was drafted to a team with Moses Malone & Dr.J, after that he got a stacked ass roster in Phoenix.

Jordan led the league in scoring & PER every year from 86-93

I think Barkley is remembered & gets enough respect for a player that won 0 rings.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #14
AussieSteve
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 899
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
Barkley had some deep ass teams & this is pretty much where the "best storyline" MVPs started, because Jordan was so dominant and clearly the best player in the game every year. There's no year (in the 90s) where Jordan played a full season and put up worse numbers than Charles, Charles however had good teams around him, that had him win enough games to be in MVP consideration. Man was drafted to a team with Moses Malone & Dr.J, after that he got a stacked ass roster in Phoenix.

Jordan led the league in scoring & PER every year from 86-93

I think Barkley is remembered & gets enough respect for a player that won 0 rings.

You think Barkley's 1990 MVP is a storyline MVP? He took a team, who's 2nd best player was 2nd year Hersey Hawkins, to 53 wins and a better offense AND defense than Jordan's Bulls. And besides if there was any voter fatigue it would have been for Magic, who had won 2 of the last 3 MVPs, but he ended up 'winning'.

How about in 1993 when he took a team missing their All-NBA point guard for half the season to the league's best record. 61-15 in games he played, 1-5 in games he sat out once home court in the finals was guaranteed. Best offense in the league (even without KJ) and near identical DRtg to the Bulls in the games Barkley played.

No storylines here. He throuroughly deserved both those MVPs.

And at Philly, Barkley only had a stacked team for one season... His rookie season. Moses was injured before the playoffs in his second year and Philly couldn't get past the second round despite Barkley's 25 / 16 / 6 statline on 58% shooting over 12 games.

Last edited by AussieSteve : 05-19-2018 at 06:26 AM.
AussieSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #15
diamenz
National High School Star
 
diamenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,041
Default Re: Barkley was the most common choice for MVP for almost half of MJs first prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
Wrong alt

i don't tread in those waters, guy.
diamenz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy