Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-20-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
Solid Snake
Local High School Star

Solid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong waySolid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default has any team OFFICIALLY 100% ever TANKED a season?

Can anyone give me 97% proof of this (I won't say 100% since you'd have to be a insider to know that). I mean what's the understanding of something like this, do the coaches pretty much say something like,

"ok don't forget, we're taking this season, so please try not to win tonight, pleasssssee."

So who exactly is in on this? I can't see an entire roster of 12 players WILLINGLY going along with this, there's gotta be at least a couple players that say, "man, F that crap, you think I'm gonna give a half-ass effort?"

I can't see that happening. But I do remember constantly thinking during the year of the Lebron draft that the Cavs were tanking, I can't prove it but I just had a feeling from watching them.

Has a team in any sports league blatantly tanked a season?
Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

Atlanta and Portland has the numbers to suggest that but that is just bc they suck.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
Jerz Netz
Local High School Star

Jerz Netz has an OK reputation so far

it would be a good idea to tank this year with all the good prospects coming up in the draft
Jerz Netz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

Of course the Cavs were tanking in 02/03. You don't assemble a team that bad without intent.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
Señor Cedric
why live??

Señor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
Atlanta and Portland has the numbers to suggest that but that is just bc they suck.

Seriously? Portland? They are way overacheiving.

All teams put in 100% effort to win, look at Philadelphia over Miami today.
Señor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputationSsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default .

i dont think teams try to tank the season. they probably give up after the allstar break but any coach will not allow his reputation to be tarnished in order to get a high draft pick. reason being, if there is enough complains he might be fired or the fans might protest resulting is loss revenue for the owner. i doubt any coach or owner would risk that.

even when d-rob and sean elliot were injured in '96, the spurs signed D-wilkens to carry some scoring load. the spurs were the third worst team but just got lucky in the draft. thats another reason why teams try not to tank because its not guarenteed that you will recieve the first pick. last year toronto was not trying to tank, nor were they the worst team but got lucky in the draft.

another thing, players have big egos, and they hate to lose. if management came to the players and asked them to tank, you know a few of the stars would ask for a trade, especially if they are in their twilight and looking for a ring.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #7
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It happened a few times in the early 80s. Worst was in the 83-84 season when it was so bad and obvious that they changed the system after that year. The Bulls, Rockets, and I think Pacers and Clippers tanked so clearly the league was embarrassed. They all wanted Hakeem and back then the worst record in each conference got into a coin flip for #1 pick.

Similar things happened with Ralph Sampson years before.

But in 84 the Bulls traded the one time franchise player and lost like 16 of 17 as the other best tanking team lost about 15 in a row.

NBA wouldnt let it happen again. Thats why we have a lottery now.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #8
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

1) 2002 Nuggets: Nuggets basically gave away players for capspace and a shot at a high draft pick. Nuggets regular rotation the year they did it included Junior Harrington and Vincent Yarborough. It was a tank by design.

2) 2003 Magic: They got Dwight Howard. It was worth it.

3) 2002 Cavs: Sold their soul for a chance to get LeBron. They allowed Davis and Miles to ballhog to their hearts content as long as an L was put in the record column.

4) 1999/2000 Bulls: Dynasty ended and Krause decided to throw a few seasons to accumulate high draft picks and get a few "full boat" free agents. It didn't work out too well for Jabba as he screwed himself in his efforts to get a 'star' player.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Cedric
Seriously? Portland? They are way overacheiving.

All teams put in 100% effort to win, look at Philadelphia over Miami today.

I meant to say the past couple years, my mistake.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:38 AM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

2 seasons ago lakers finished off theyre season 2-17 and lost games by a good margin
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #11
millencolin735
Decent playground baller

millencolin735 has decent reputation

Didnt the lottery start after Pop quit and D Rob was out for the season so the Spurs pretty much tanked that season to get Timmy.
millencolin735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:55 AM   #12
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
2 seasons ago lakers finished off theyre season 2-17 and lost games by a good margin

lakers as a franchise WOULD NEVER tank. and no way would Kobe throw away a season.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:01 AM   #13
The Mamba
High School Starter

The Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this board

VC did it for half a season as a Raptor.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:04 AM   #14
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputationSsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by millencolin735
Didnt the lottery start after Pop quit and D Rob was out for the season so the Spurs pretty much tanked that season to get Timmy.

no dude, the spurs werent even the worst team that season. that year was also pops first year as head coach, we had sign D-Wilkens to fill in sean elliots role when he got injured. DRob also didnt fake the injury like some suggest to get a lottery pick, because it was obvious he wasnt the same player after that season.

edited so i can refrain myself from calling others names. sorry.

Last edited by SsKSpurs21 : 01-20-2007 at 02:07 AM.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:09 AM   #15
millencolin735
Decent playground baller

millencolin735 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
no dude, the spurs werent even the worst team that season. that year was also pops first year as head coach, we had sign D-Wilkens to fill in sean elliots role when he got injured. DRob also didnt fake the injury like some suggest to get a lottery pick, because it was obvious he wasnt the same player after that season.

Edit: Thank you for editing that **** out cause it was completly uncalled for, and retract my previous statment if you had a chance to read it. All I did was asked a question no need to get touchy over it, and yes that team was pretty damn bad which is why they got the 1st pick that year.

Last edited by millencolin735 : 01-20-2007 at 02:11 AM.
millencolin735 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: