Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #31
ninephive
Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4...
 
ninephive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,207
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
They played the Cavs. I mean dear god. Tim Duncan is one of the greats. And the Spurs only go as far as he takes them. Even though Tony Parker is a huge mismatch for those terrible point guards Cleveland had.
Yah, the same Lebron-led Cavs who dismantled the Pistons defense the round before. And a Tony Parker-led Spurs swept that team. Wow, this is really a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guarantee a few shots go down for Lebron and that finals series ends up 4-2, there is nowhere near the disrespect for that team. It's like people magically forgot the performance that Lebron put on the series before. All I'm saying is let's not disrespect a PG who earned a Finals MVP by saying he is nowhere near a player he has taken out twice in the playoffs (swept this time, mind you) and typically has no trouble in the regular season with either. As a Spurs fan, we LOVE when Chris Paul takes the court...same with Steve Nash. Parker matches up well with these guys and usually has no problem getting the W in those situations. But yah, keep telling yourself he's nowhere close.
ninephive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #32
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 16,663
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninephive
Yah, the same Lebron-led Cavs who dismantled the Pistons defense the round before. And a Tony Parker-led Spurs swept that team. Wow, this is really a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guarantee a few shots go down for Lebron and that finals series ends up 4-2, there is nowhere near the disrespect for that team. It's like people magically forgot the performance that Lebron put on the series before. All I'm saying is let's not disrespect a PG who earned a Finals MVP by saying he is nowhere near a player he has taken out twice in the playoffs (swept this time, mind you) and typically has no trouble in the regular season with either. As a Spurs fan, we LOVE when Chris Paul takes the court...same with Steve Nash. Parker matches up well with these guys and usually has no problem getting the W in those situations. But yah, keep telling yourself he's nowhere close.
Yes, I've never seen Parker get shut down by anyone, ever, but I have often seen him shutting down opposing elite PGs. Parker's defense is mad underrated.

He has the rings, he puts up the big playoff games, he plays hard on both ends of the floor, he is extremely consistent, dunno why clowns always discredit him. The Spurs have been Parkers team the past two seasons and the regular season record doesn't lie. In the playoffs they have been extremely unlucky with injuries.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #33
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 16,663
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
Tony is like the Rondo of the 2000 decade.

Lucky to have landed on a team with great players and was not anointed as a franchise savior as a lottery pick.

He benefited from not playing in a perennial crappy franchises like the Bucks or Bobcats.

Put Tony Parker in any of those teams since he was drafted in 2001 and he would fade into obscurity and no one would care about him (except maybe the French).
Do you really think Tony Parker's teardrop would not be as unstoppable as it is if he didn't get drafted by the spurs?

I am convinced Tony Parker's tear drop is the best shot in basketball at the moment.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #34
ballup
DO THE THING!!!!
 
ballup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Soon to be South Canada
Posts: 12,564
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Do you really think Tony Parker's teardrop would not be as unstoppable as it is if he didn't get drafted by the spurs?

I am convinced Tony Parker's tear drop is the best shot in basketball at the moment.
Even better than Kobe's fadeaway?
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #35
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 16,663
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballup
Even better than Kobe's fadeaway?
Yes.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #36
mark
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 515
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninephive
Yah, the same Lebron-led Cavs who dismantled the Pistons defense the round before. And a Tony Parker-led Spurs swept that team. Wow, this is really a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guarantee a few shots go down for Lebron and that finals series ends up 4-2, there is nowhere near the disrespect for that team. It's like people magically forgot the performance that Lebron put on the series before. All I'm saying is let's not disrespect a PG who earned a Finals MVP by saying he is nowhere near a player he has taken out twice in the playoffs (swept this time, mind you) and typically has no trouble in the regular season with either. As a Spurs fan, we LOVE when Chris Paul takes the court...same with Steve Nash. Parker matches up well with these guys and usually has no problem getting the W in those situations. But yah, keep telling yourself he's nowhere close.


Kyrie Irving is much better overall than Tony Parker. Rondo can embarrass and humiliate Parker on a nightly basis.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #37
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 16,663
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark
Kyrie Irving is much better overall than Tony Parker. Rondo can embarrass and humiliate Parker on a nightly basis.
that never happens
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #38
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,940
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
that never happens
Last time they played each other it did.


Rondo: 17/3/11 53% shooting
Parker: 10/1/2 36% shooting
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #39
Legends66NBA7
Apex
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 19,633
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Hey, since you like using GM survey's for one player... let's see who they picked for the best PG in the game:

Who is the best point guard in the NBA?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 69.0%
2. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 20.7%
3. Rajon Rondo, Boston -- 6.9%
4. Tony Parker, San Antonio -- 3.4%
Last year: Derrick Rose -- 59.3%

There's 3 of them and you can more than argue Steve Nash and Russell Westbrook (even though brook is more of a combo guard).
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,940
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

So much for Parker "always outplaying" the other top PG's.


Parker vs D-Rose (6 games)

Rose: 26/4/6/0/1 on 50/25/90
Parker: 18/4/7/1/0 on 50/0/59

Vs. Deron Williams in the playoffs (5 games)

D-Will: 26/4/8/2/0 on 53/47/78
Parker: 20/3/7/2/0 on 48/67/66


Steve Nash does well against him as well
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&p2=nashst01
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #41
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,940
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
Hey, since you like using GM survey's for one player... let's see who they picked for the best PG in the game:

Who is the best point guard in the NBA?
1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 69.0%
2. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 20.7%
3. Rajon Rondo, Boston -- 6.9%
4. Tony Parker, San Antonio -- 3.4%
Last year: Derrick Rose -- 59.3%

There's 3 of them and you can more than argue Steve Nash and Russell Westbrook (even though brook is more of a combo guard).
Westbrook disastrously underrated in that poll
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #42
Haymaker
College superstar
 
Haymaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,464
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Yes, I've never seen Parker get shut down by anyone, ever, but I have often seen him shutting down opposing elite PGs.

He played horribly against Westbrook. I don't know if you can call it shutting him down, but he did a great job on Tony forcing him to take ill advised shots.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #43
Celtic_Pride
Local High School Star
 
Celtic_Pride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,605
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Westbrook disastrously underrated in that poll

GM's are not stupid to consider Westbrook as a PG
Celtic_Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #44
BlueandGold
bball/boxing
 
BlueandGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,700
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by onhcetum
You guys don't watch basketball (at least the Spurs). He didn't have a shot when he first came in the league, but he has had a killer mid range shot since 2006. He's been running layup drills on opposing team's defenses as early as 2003. He's always been this good (since 2006). It's just now that he's getting love/publicity since the Spurs are on this incredible run. He's shot over 50% four times including two seasons of 55% and 52%... All this talk and hype about "scoring point guards" in Westbrook/Rose/Paul/DWilliams... I'm pretty Tony Parker has the most 40+ pt games out of all of them combined (I know he's been in the league longer than them, but I'm talking relatively speaking when you take into account games played/ratio).
This is true

I remember multiple times in during sometime from 05-10 Parker led or was among the league leaders in points in the paint, as a point guard. All of the other names on the list were either big men or lengthy/oversized forwards such as Lebron who have clear height advantages over 99% of the other players (who have to guard him) at that position.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #45
ninephive
Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4...
 
ninephive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,207
Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
So much for Parker "always outplaying" the other top PG's.


Parker vs D-Rose (6 games)

Rose: 26/4/6/0/1 on 50/25/90
Parker: 18/4/7/1/0 on 50/0/59

Vs. Deron Williams in the playoffs (5 games)

D-Will: 26/4/8/2/0 on 53/47/78
Parker: 20/3/7/2/0 on 48/67/66


Steve Nash does well against him as well
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&p2=nashst01
Who are you quoting?
ninephive is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy