Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Spaulding
It's Okay
 
Spaulding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay 12 Please
Posts: 2,356
Default Pillars of Eternity

Anyone here play this game for an extended period of time? Got amazing reviews, runs well and has greay great storytelling and mechanics.

Just started playing tonight. Pretty cool game. I never beat the Baulders Gate series which I know is a RPG classic.

Obviously Pillars has heavy influence from Baulders. Below is the IGN review and launch trailer.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/03/27...ternity-review

http://youtu.be/zAw4v6JbCBI
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
fsvr54
I run the block
 
fsvr54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,268
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Downloaded it, played it one night for a couple hours

never picked it up again

not a bad game at all, but I literally had no desire to come back to it
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
outbreak
......................
 
outbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rob Hennigan's basement
Posts: 10,520
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

I got hooked and beat it in about a week, still need to go back and try other classes/finish some of the NPC quest lines. Great game, my GOTY so far.
outbreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #4
Spaulding
It's Okay
 
Spaulding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay 12 Please
Posts: 2,356
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Bout to start a paladin tonight. Been doing some research today on builds. I typically play a tank as my character.

Im surprised outbreak, you beat it in a week. Its at least a 40 hour game. 80 hours if you do everything. I do suggest a second playthrough with another build. Game has a lot of replay due to dialog/story and quest/companion changes based on your main character and decisions.
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:34 AM   #5
Spaulding
It's Okay
 
Spaulding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay 12 Please
Posts: 2,356
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvr54
Downloaded it, played it one night for a couple hours

never picked it up again

not a bad game at all, but I literally had no desire to come back to it

You a fan of any of these games?

Baldurs Gate
Icewind Dale
Dragon Age
Divinity Original Sin

If you didnt enjoy Pillars, most likely you didn't enjoy the games above. Perhaps Dragon Age at least?
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:51 AM   #6
outbreak
......................
 
outbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rob Hennigan's basement
Posts: 10,520
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding
Bout to start a paladin tonight. Been doing some research today on builds. I typically play a tank as my character.

Im surprised outbreak, you beat it in a week. Its at least a 40 hour game. 80 hours if you do everything. I do suggest a second playthrough with another build. Game has a lot of replay due to dialog/story and quest/companion changes based on your main character and decisions.

I was on holidays, I think steam has me at 30ish hours. I didn't realise I was entering the last zone when I did, had a moment where I was like oh shit this is the last boss area.

I played as a rogue.
outbreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 AM   #7
Spaulding
It's Okay
 
Spaulding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay 12 Please
Posts: 2,356
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
I was on holidays, I think steam has me at 30ish hours. I didn't realise I was entering the last zone when I did, had a moment where I was like oh shit this is the last boss area.

I played as a rogue.

Nice. Can you share the last area without spoilers? So i dont make same mistake?

Also did you use mostly the story companions or did you build your own?
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
outbreak
......................
 
outbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rob Hennigan's basement
Posts: 10,520
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding
Nice. Can you share the last area without spoilers? So i dont make same mistake?

Also did you use mostly the story companions or did you build your own?

To get to the last area you jump down a hole, I'd suggest doing other quests before that. I have a save before there so I can go back to that.

I used one made companion during act 1 as I missed the warrior early on but once I found him I dropped him and just used the story companions as they are much more interesting.
outbreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
Spaulding
It's Okay
 
Spaulding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay 12 Please
Posts: 2,356
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
To get to the last area you jump down a hole, I'd suggest doing other quests before that. I have a save before there so I can go back to that.

I used one made companion during act 1 as I missed the warrior early on but once I found him I dropped him and just used the story companions as they are much more interesting.

Cool thank you.

Ya id much rather use story companions for that reason. I like the extra dialogue and getting attached to them.

Turns out i dont like having tank as my main character. So im gonna make a 2h fighter instead. Thought about a barbarian but I want to use plate instead.

I may make a wizard at some point too. Heard end game they are very powerful.
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
outbreak
......................
 
outbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rob Hennigan's basement
Posts: 10,520
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding
Cool thank you.

Ya id much rather use story companions for that reason. I like the extra dialogue and getting attached to them.

Turns out i dont like having tank as my main character. So im gonna make a 2h fighter instead. Thought about a barbarian but I want to use plate instead.

I may make a wizard at some point too. Heard end game they are very powerful.

My parties wizard become pretty beefy, my next play through I want to use a druid as the druid I had was a bit of an annoying character but had some great abilities. The story companion wizard is probably my favourite story companion and had an interesting story so keep that in mind if you play a wizard and don't use him in your party.
outbreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
Spaulding
It's Okay
 
Spaulding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay 12 Please
Posts: 2,356
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
My parties wizard become pretty beefy, my next play through I want to use a druid as the druid I had was a bit of an annoying character but had some great abilities. The story companion wizard is probably my favourite story companion and had an interesting story so keep that in mind if you play a wizard and don't use him in your party.

What was so fun about the druid? I considered making one. Dont ya go bear form or something.
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
outbreak
......................
 
outbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rob Hennigan's basement
Posts: 10,520
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding
What was so fun about the druid? I considered making one. Dont ya go bear form or something.
animal form and some awesome AOE magic. I barely used the animal form but used a lot of his magic, takes a bit of time to get timings and positioning right though in this game so you don't AOE your own teammates.
outbreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:09 AM   #13
Spaulding
It's Okay
 
Spaulding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay 12 Please
Posts: 2,356
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Been doing a lot of 1 hour playthroughs. Trying to find a class I like.

Think I finally settled on a class. Cipher. Get to use debuff and damage spells. I am going to go full melee. It is recommended to be a blunderbuss/dual wield hybrid.

But, im playing on normal so it shouldnt be a big deal if I make whatever character I want.

Got caught up today to where I have been testing characters up to. Only about an hour and half in. Very excited to actually start the game. Having a character I enjoy is very important to me. As I will be using it for 40 plus hours.

Download a mod so I can customize the story companions. Get to make them any class I want. IE mod is what its called.
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
senelcoolidge
College superstar
 
senelcoolidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: At home
Posts: 4,624
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding
You a fan of any of these games?

Baldurs Gate
Icewind Dale
Dragon Age
Divinity Original Sin

If you didnt enjoy Pillars, most likely you didn't enjoy the games above. Perhaps Dragon Age at least?

I have all of those game minus Divinity. Icewind Dale 2 and the Neverwinter Night games too. Oh check out Planescape: Torment if you haven't. I want to play this but will wait for it to go on sale.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
Spaulding
It's Okay
 
Spaulding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay 12 Please
Posts: 2,356
Default Re: Pillars of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
I have all of those game minus Divinity. Icewind Dale 2 and the Neverwinter Night games too. Oh check out Planescape: Torment if you haven't. I want to play this but will wait for it to go on sale.

I downloaded Pillars as a torrent. Theres even torrents that update pillars as patches roll out.

Works great. Never have any serious issues.

The game is amazing. I'm trying to do everything in the game. If your like me, you'll want to download IE mod and play on Hard difficulty. IE mod reduces xp gain. Only major complaint about this game is that you level too quickly. Many people hit level cap halfway through game. If you just stick to main story you level find. But doing side missions too levels too fast. Reduction mod makes sure you level at good pace.

Mod also allows you to edit your story compansions to make them whatever class ya want.
Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy