Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #4351
Andrew Wiggins
National High School Star

Default Re: 2012-2013 English Premier League Thread (La Liga, Serie A, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksimilian
Serious Question. Out of all the German and English midfielders you can pick from to make a team......How many Germans in a row would you pick before reaching Jack Wilshere. Im just trying to highlight how far the English national team/English League has gone downhill in the last few seasons. Ill start :

Ozil
Schweinesteiger
Muller
Kroos
Khedira
Reus
Goetze
Gundongon
Draxler
Bender
Wilshere.

Go!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Belgium v Netherlands debate? Both teams have great players and their form is bloody amazing. Still think its a little early to consider the Belgians better though. The Dutch have a million kids who in a year could all end up at TOP clubs just like their Belgium counterparts. Besides crazed football fans i doubt many people considered Hazard, Courtois, Fellaini, Kompany as world class two years ago....now they all are! If any country has a habit of producing talented players ; Its the Dutch.

My First 11 of Belgian/Dutch players :

--------------------------Courtois------------------------------
-------------Kompany--------------Vertonghan--------------
V D Weil------------------------------------------Alderweireld
-------------------------Strootman-----------------------------
Hazard------------------------------------------------Robben
---------------------------Sneijder------------------------------
-------------Van Persie-------------Huntelaar----------------

belgium has a bunch of guys that are better than strootman in that holding mid position. alderweireld isn't a lb. put vermaelen where vertonghen is and slide vertonghen over to lb where he sometimes plays for spurs.

over wilshere? ozil, schweinsteiger, gotze, reus, and kroos. wilshere is a great player who will get to that level soon enough. being an english prodigal son has made him overrated by his compatriots and underrated by fans in other countries.
Andrew Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #4352
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

Quote:
Serious Question. Out of all the German and English midfielders you can pick from to make a team......How many Germans in a row would you pick before reaching Jack Wilshere. Im just trying to highlight how far the English national team/English League has gone downhill in the last few seasons. Ill start :

Ozil
Schweinesteiger
Muller
Kroos
Khedira
Reus
Goetze
Gundongon
Draxler
Bender
Wilshere.

Go!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And whats your point? We all know England players suck nowadays... well they always did, international player make the league worth watching, and the fans of course.

Anyway to answer your question, if you wanted to make fun of England you picked the wrong english mid, because Jack is already legit, and his potential is bigger than everyone's on that list except Gotze's. And only Gotze and Draxler are younger, everyone else has experience over him. Not to mention he missed 1.5 year with an injury, and still came back like nothing happened. And despite all this, he is still better than half of the players on your list. Draxler, Bender, Khedira? Are you kidding me? And Gotze, Ozil and Reus are much more offensively oriented so we cant really compare. When it comes to CMs/DMs only Schweini is better, Kroos is arguable. Gundogan has been great this season, but im not sold yet, he might turn into another Sahin. He might be a system player.

Jack is the only player why England and Arsenal fans shouldnt hang themselves, yet.
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #4353
Uncle Drew
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
by wc2014 belgium will absolutely be a better team than holland, and much more dangerous... holland are done... they wont make any finals anywhere in the near future
We're in rebuild mode right now, but don't underestimate van Gaal. He can really build something here.
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #4354
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:

Ozil
Schweinesteiger
Muller
Kroos
Khedira
Reus
Goetze
Gundongon
Draxler
Bender
Wilshere.

Not a fair comparison, because most players listed are nothing like Wilshere. However, injury record aside, the only players from that list I would take before him are Özil, Götze and Müller. Özil and Götze are the only ones whose technique, playmaking, passing and vision are on par with Wilshere's, and Müller is just very, very influential offensively and very hard to stop. Schweinsteiger I would have to consider, but he's already 28 and I think Wilshere has a higher ceiling. Kroos is very good, but I'd rather have Jack.
I agree English football has really gone downhill.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #4355
Maksimilian
Serious playground baller

Oh I love football topics in a basketball forum! Heres another question. If Yugoslavia had stayed together would they have the best 23 in the world? This from a pool of 25 million citizens. Ive chosen my 23 in bold and included some extras :

Samir Handanovic (Inter Milan and Slovenia)
Asmir Begovic (Stoke City and Bosnia/Hercegovina)
Zeljko Brkic (Udinese and Serbia)

Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea FC and Serbia)
Dario Srna (Shakhter Donetsk and Croatia)
Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United and Serbia)
Matija Nastasic (Manchester City and Serbia)
Neven Subotic (Borussia Dortmund and Serbia)
Elvir Spahic (Anzhi and Bosnia/Hercegovina)
Aleksander Kolarov (Manchester City and Serbia)
Senad Lulic (Lazio and Bosnia/Hercegovina)

Xerdan Shaqiri (Bayern Munich and Serbia/Kosovo)
Adem Ljajic (Fiorentina and Serbia)
Luka Modric (Real Madrid and Croatia)
Miralem Pjanic (AS Roma and Bosnia/Hercegovina)
Nemanja Matic (Benfica and Serbia)
Ivan Rakitic (Seville FC and Croatia)
Dusan Tadic (FC Twente and Serbia)

Edin Dzeko (Manchester City and Bosnia/Hercegovina)
Mirko Vucinic (Juventus and Montenegro)
Stevan Jovetic (Fiorentina and Montenegro)
Mario Mandzukic (Bayern Munich and Croatia)
Goran Pandev (Napoli and Macedonia FYR)

And a few notable players from each area who didnt make the cut:

Croatia :
*Dejan Lovren from Olympic Lyonnais
*Vedran Corluka from Lokomotiv Moscow
*Mateo Kovacic from Inter Milan (Still to young)
*Milan Badelj from Hamburg
*Niko Kranjcar from Dynamo Kiev
*Ivica Olic from Wolfsburg
*Eduardo from Shakter Donetsk
*Nikita Jelavic from Everton
*Mladen Petric from Fulham

Serbia (Including Kosovo) :
*Milan Bisevac from Olympic Lyonnais
*Aleksandar Lukovic from Zenit St Petersburg
*Uros Cosic from CSKA Moscow
*Slobodan Rajkovic from Hamburg
*Nenad Tomovic from Fiorentina
*Dusan Basta from Udinese
*Zoran Tosic from CSKA Moscow
*Zdravko Kuzmanovic from Inter Milan
*Dejan Stankovic from Inter Milan
*Aleksandar Ignjovski from Werder Bremen
*Filip Djuricic from Heerenveen (Benfica in the summer)
*Miralem Sulejmani from Ajax (Benfica in the summer)

*Valeron Behrami from Napoli
*Blerim Dzemaili from Napoli
*Granit Xhaka from Mouchengladbach

Bosnia/Hercegovina :
*Miroslav Stevanovic from Sevilla
*Zvjezdan Misimovic from Guizhou (Formerly Wolfsburg)
*Sejad Salihovic from Hoffenheim
*Vedan Ibisevic from Stuttgart

Montenegro :
*Marko Basa from Lille
*Stevan Savic from Fiorentina
Maksimilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #4356
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Oh I love football topics in a basketball forum! Heres another question. If Yugoslavia had stayed together would they have the best 23 in the world? This from a pool of 25 million citizens. Ive chosen my 23 in bold and included some extras :

Samir Handanovic (Inter Milan and Slovenia)
Asmir Begovic (Stoke City and Bosnia/Hercegovina)
Zeljko Brkic (Udinese and Serbia)

Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea FC and Serbia)
Dario Srna (Shakhter Donetsk and Croatia)
Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United and Serbia)
Matija Nastasic (Manchester City and Serbia)
Neven Subotic (Borussia Dortmund and Serbia)
Elvir Spahic (Anzhi and Bosnia/Hercegovina)
Aleksander Kolarov (Manchester City and Serbia)
Senad Lulic (Lazio and Bosnia/Hercegovina)

Xerdan Shaqiri (Bayern Munich and Serbia/Kosovo)
Adem Ljajic (Fiorentina and Serbia)
Luka Modric (Real Madrid and Croatia)
Miralem Pjanic (AS Roma and Bosnia/Hercegovina)
Nemanja Matic (Benfica and Serbia)
Ivan Rakitic (Seville FC and Croatia)
Dusan Tadic (FC Twente and Serbia)

Edin Dzeko (Manchester City and Bosnia/Hercegovina)
Mirko Vucinic (Juventus and Montenegro)
Stevan Jovetic (Fiorentina and Montenegro)
Mario Mandzukic (Bayern Munich and Croatia)
Goran Pandev (Napoli and Macedonia FYR)

And a few notable players from each area who didnt make the cut:

Croatia :
*Dejan Lovren from Olympic Lyonnais
*Vedran Corluka from Lokomotiv Moscow
*Mateo Kovacic from Inter Milan (Still to young)
*Milan Badelj from Hamburg
*Niko Kranjcar from Dynamo Kiev
*Ivica Olic from Wolfsburg
*Eduardo from Shakter Donetsk
*Nikita Jelavic from Everton
*Mladen Petric from Fulham

Serbia (Including Kosovo) :
*Milan Bisevac from Olympic Lyonnais
*Aleksandar Lukovic from Zenit St Petersburg
*Uros Cosic from CSKA Moscow
*Slobodan Rajkovic from Hamburg
*Nenad Tomovic from Fiorentina
*Dusan Basta from Udinese
*Zoran Tosic from CSKA Moscow
*Zdravko Kuzmanovic from Inter Milan
*Dejan Stankovic from Inter Milan
*Aleksandar Ignjovski from Werder Bremen
*Filip Djuricic from Heerenveen (Benfica in the summer)
*Miralem Sulejmani from Ajax (Benfica in the summer)

*Valeron Behrami from Napoli
*Blerim Dzemaili from Napoli
*Granit Xhaka from Mouchengladbach

Bosnia/Hercegovina :
*Miroslav Stevanovic from Sevilla
*Zvjezdan Misimovic from Guizhou (Formerly Wolfsburg)
*Sejad Salihovic from Hoffenheim
*Vedan Ibisevic from Stuttgart

Montenegro :
*Marko Basa from Lille
*Stevan Savic from Fiorentina
No, they would not. Spain's B squad is better than any combination of players above.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #4357
Maksimilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
Not a fair comparison, because most players listed are nothing like Wilshere. However, injury record aside, the only players from that list I would take before him are Özil, Götze and Müller. Özil and Götze are the only ones whose technique, playmaking, passing and vision are on par with Wilshere's, and Müller is just very, very influential offensively and very hard to stop. Schweinsteiger I would have to consider, but he's already 28 and I think Wilshere has a higher ceiling. Kroos is very good, but I'd rather have Jack.
I agree English football has really gone downhill.

yeah thats why i said midfielders (As in all positions). I realise his only direct players in term of playing style are probly Schweini, Kroos and Gundongan. I think all three are better then him at the moment in the position (based on form the last three years), and i dont think Wilshere is better on the wings or behind the strikers than Goetze, Muller or Reus. He of cors isnt a better holding midfielder than Khedira or Bender. I guess it was a silly question!

Btw i realise Alderweireld isnt a left back but i just cant pick Vermaelen in this team. I consider him one of the most overated players in football. I could even go with pre-Fulhum Emmanuelson. He was immence for Milan before Euro 12. Strootman i just have a good feeling about for the future, he reminds me of v Bommel. Although I agree V D Bruyne and Witsel are excellent aswell!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #4358
Maksimilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
No, they would not. Spain's B squad is better than any combination of players above.

Spain and Germanys B squads are better than the above ide say! Immense depth in both those teams. Maybe Argentina aswell.

But come on, you have to admit that "Yugoslavias" defence and attack would rival both (Obviously theyde get destroyed in midfield)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #4359
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
rofl.

kompany, vermaelen, vertonghen, and probably lombaerts and alderweireld are better than any of the current dutch cbs.

stekelenburg is straight trash for roma. courtois is much better than him and vorm.

i'd take fellaini, witsel, dembele, and de bruyne over any of the dutch central mid options.

mertens, miralles, and hazard are better than lens or narsingh whoever else plays opposite robben.

benteke and lukaku are on their way to becoming ****ing monsters up front.

come to think of it, the belgians should be a better team than the dutch by the time the wc starts.

**** outta here with "only 3 belgians can add anything to the dutch team".

rofl some more.

Yes, the CB's are better. That's why I picked them. I only need two of them though, so I picked the two best ones. The other ones? Eh. They aren't even that great besides the two I mentioned.

At midfield? Fellaini and Witsel are solid individual talents (gtfoh with the other two). They are better individually than Strootman and more experienced (though not more talented) than the Dutch pups. Can they play in a Dutch midfield though? I don't think so. To put it simply, guys like Maher, Van Ginkel, Clasie etc are young but they are bred for Dutch football. In football a piece that fits is more important than individual quality. (which not surprisingly is the reason this Belgian group underperformed for such a long time, they are a group of misfits with no common identity)

Hazard was already listed, so I have no idea why you put him up there.

Mertens and Mirallas? Eh. Middling talents at best, I don't think I even need to address them.

Benteke and Lukaku? Are they better than Van Persie? Really? Okay.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #4360
Uncle Drew
NBA lottery pick

Lol, Mertens, really? He's a pile of wank.
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #4361
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

bayern-wolfsburg in the german cup 1/2 final and arsenal-everton in the EPL battling for a CL spot

no CL but at least some good football tonight
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #4362
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Spain and Germanys B squads are better than the above ide say! Immense depth in both those teams. Maybe Argentina aswell.

But come on, you have to admit that "Yugoslavias" defence and attack would rival both (Obviously theyde get destroyed in midfield)
Yes, Yugoslavia's strenghts are at the defensive and forward lines. They have quality all across the board, but not to the same extent as the top NTs. They would be a tier 2 team, sort of an underdog contender (provided that they have some chemistry, which is not guaranteed).

Last edited by Lebowsky : 04-16-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #4363
RagaZ
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
bayern-wolfsburg in the german cup 1/2 final and arsenal-everton in the EPL battling for a CL spot

no CL but at least some good football tonight
Cardiff can secure promotion to Premier League with a point today. 2 Welsh teams in PL, if that happens.
RagaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #4364
Andrew Wiggins
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
rofl some more.

Yes, the CB's are better. That's why I picked them. I only need two of them though, so I picked the two best ones. The other ones? Eh. They aren't even that great besides the two I mentioned.

At midfield? Fellaini and Witsel are solid individual talents (gtfoh with the other two). They are better individually than Strootman and more experienced (though not more talented) than the Dutch pups. Can they play in a Dutch midfield though? I don't think so. To put it simply, guys like Maher, Van Ginkel, Clasie etc are young but they are bred for Dutch football. In football a piece that fits is more important than individual quality. (which not surprisingly is the reason this Belgian group underperformed for such a long time, they are a group of misfits with no common identity)

Hazard was already listed, so I have no idea why you put him up there.

Mertens and Mirallas? Eh. Middling talents at best, I don't think I even need to address them.

Benteke and Lukaku? Are they better than Van Persie? Really? Okay.

vertonghen is not a natural left back but he's better there than whichever mediocrities the dutch have put there lately.

they have not underperformed. this group of players has been very good for the better part of two years. they've lost 3 times in the last 2 and a half year and are cruising thru wcq. they also romped the dutch the last time the played.

every single one of their starters is under 28, most are under 25 and are just coming into their primes.
Andrew Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #4365
Königspinguin
LandValueTax=Future

Ich hoffe der Jupp nimmt seinen Kopf aus'm Arsch und lässt den Boateng wieder spielen. Falls der unbewegliche Van Buyten gegen Barcelona spielt krieg ich ne Herzattacke. Barcelona nimmt den wahrscheinlich total auseinander.
Königspinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: