Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #31
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Trades,Free Agency, Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Amare 1/4

Dan Gadzuric 0/4
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #32
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Knicks best lineups this season (by +/-)

1. Baron Davis, Iman Shumpert, Landry Fields, Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler +44
2. Jeremy Lin, Iman Shumpert, Landry Fields, Steve Novak and Tyson Chandler +23
3. Jeremy Lin, J.R. Smith, Steve Novak, Jared Jeffries and Tyson Chandler +21
4. Jeremy Lin, Landry Fields, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler +20
Uh oh...don't let Knicksman see that

Quote:
Hard to belive a guy can become a shell of himself at like 22. He used to be so fast & explosive to the basket coming off of picks but that looks to be gone. Jonny isn't quick enough to beat his man to the basket anymore and he's just relying a lot on his jumpshot now.

It's also about opportunity though. Young players need to establish a rhythm and confidence. If teams don't give you significant playing time, it's hard to get going. See Jeremy Lin! End of the day, I'd take a chance on him. He'll be cheap and even a shell of him is better than Toney Douglas. I would also take a chance on Hasheem Thabeet. I'm not convinced he's a bum. I saw every game of UCONN's and I know the ability that guy possesses. I'm not saying he'll be dominant but I have no doubt in my mind he can contribute. Besides, once again, he'll probably be cheap.

I wouldn't mind testing the market for Gerald Green's worth.He's one of the guys I kept telling everyone about. Everybody kept saying "all he does is dunk." How'd that work out for NJ? Pretty damn well. I'm telling you guys. This kid can play.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #33
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Free Agents who shouldn't break the bank

Nick Young- Another guy I've been clamoring for for years. After meeting this guy numerous times in person, I don't get the character issues people mention. He's THE nicest NBA player I've ever met. Plus, he hit sme HUGE shots in the playoffs so far this year.
Ivan Johnson- He's restricted. I wouldn't break the bank for him but for the right price, I'd love to have a guy like him.
Ryan Hollins- Tall, athletic big man you probably won't get mroe than the min.
Delonte West- If the Mavs get Deron, I don't see him coming back. His "character issues" should lower his asking price. Perfect. Delonte can ball... plus he banged LeBron's mom...that's gotta count for something!
Ian Mahinmi- most people don't know about this guy but he can play! I doubt Dallas let's him go though, especially with all the cap theyre about to have.
Dominic McGuire- Every team needs a tough guy. He fits the mold. Plus he can score at times.
Nate Robinson- Yea I said it. I couldn't stand him when he was a Knick but he's better than every pg we have not named Lin. End of the day, he's a playmaker and we're in desperate need of just that. Plus, he's more controlled than he was when he played here. Backup "spark off the bench" as some of you like to say.
Randy Foye-Another guy I said we should look at years back. He absolutely killed us when we played the Clippers.
Kenyon Martin- He can rebound, block shots and hit an occassional 15 footer. We desperately need big men for our 2nd unit.
Robin Lopez- Had a down year but he pretty much does everything Jeffries does but he's taller,younger, stronger, and shoots free throws better. Another cheap option for bench big man help. Besides, Jeffries is coming off injury.
Hasheem Thabeet- before he goes down as a bust, I want to see this guy get a LEGIT shot at playing time. You can't teach 7-3. Plus, despite his numbers, he actually is a pretty decent free throw shooter. Put him and Jerome in the d-league, let them get quality burn and bring them up if and when they're ready.
Jonny Flynn- As mentioned before, I'm not ready to close the book on him. An offseason and a clean slate may be all he needs to be back to the guy who was dropping 13 and 4 as a rookie.
Jerryd Bayless- I have absolutely no idea what the market is for this guy. He's off the radar in the purgatory known as Toronto. He can clearly play but who knows what his price tag is. I've wanted him to be a Knick since he was in college.
Cartier Martin- This kid is HUNGRY! He just wants to make a team. He one of those guys who lives off of 10 day contracts. Wizards keep teasing him but he's put in quality work in limited minutes. For the min, he's be a Knick in a heartbeat. I'm 100% sure he'd bring it EVERY NIGHT!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #34
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Knicks best lineups this season (by +/-)

1. Baron Davis, Iman Shumpert, Landry Fields, Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler +44
2. Jeremy Lin, Iman Shumpert, Landry Fields, Steve Novak and Tyson Chandler +23
3. Jeremy Lin, J.R. Smith, Steve Novak, Jared Jeffries and Tyson Chandler +21
4. Jeremy Lin, Landry Fields, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler +20

+/- is the absolute worst stat in the world. Why would you even post it?
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #35
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
+/- is the absolute worst stat in the world. Why would you even post it?
I agree. when you watch games and look at the box scores, the production and the +/- almost never have any correlation.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #36
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

That's because there's more to basketball than what shows up in box scores. You have to watch the games.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #37
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
That's because there's more to basketball than what shows up in box scores. You have to watch the games.
I don't think anyone is argung that. But if a guy gets 2 points and 2 assists and his +/- is through thr roof, it just shows how piss poor the stat is to begin with.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #38
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Deft hyperbole, but it misses the point. More or less, the guy is on the floor for a reason while his team is getting the better of the other team. Setting picks and screens, tipping lose balls, cutting off the ball, pushing the pace in transition, hockey assists, etc. There are a multitude of good things a player can do that don't show up in boxscores.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #39
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

+/- doesn't do anything to show you more than what is captured from the box scores.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #40
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Okay.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Sarcastic, I think it seems like Scooter is arguing with you but in fact I think he is somewhat agreeing with you. I think he's saying, like a lot of boxscore stats, the +/- doesn't illustrate a player's true impact on the game. Am I right Scooter?

I think when it comes to stats, some a very useful ex points, rebounds, assists etc. I really get nothing out of the +/- stats though. I think of all of the stats, it's probably the most useless.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #42
Sarcastic

All +/- does is say if a team scored more or less points when a particular player was on the court. It tells you nothing about how those points were scored.

Mario Chalmers was third in +/- for this season, and higher than Wade and Bosh. So I guess that means he is better than them, and should be on the court more often.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #43
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

It's contextual, like any other stat. That's why you have to watch the games to understand the boxscores.

Mario Chalmers +/- doesn't tell you he's better than James or Wade, but it may tell you that the Heat are better when Chalmers is on the court as opposed to whatever other lineups they use. And that's what matters. It's a team game.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #44
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
It's contextual, like any other stat. That's why you have to watch the games to understand the boxscores.

Mario Chalmers +/- doesn't tell you he's better than James or Wade, but it may tell you that the Heat are better when Chalmers is on the court as opposed to whatever other lineups they use. And that's what matters. It's a team game.
Whats hsppens wen its just coincidence?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #45
Sarcastic

Can't believe Scoooter is actually trying to defend +/- as a useful stat only because it makes Laundry Fields look better
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: