Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has an OK reputation so far
Default If Tmac were healthy his entire career...

Would he be the most likable player in the league?

He has never gotten in trouble with women to my knowledge, unlike Kobe/MJ/Shaq.

He's clutch... 13 in 35.

He's a playoff performer. I know he has technically never made it out of the second round, but you can't really pin that on him. He has performed really well in the playoffs. If he had a few more healthy years, I'm sure he would have made it deep into the playoffs.

He's not overly cocky/arrogant.

He doesn't want to take the easy way out and just join a contender or team up with other superstars. He was interviewed once about who he would like to play with most in the NBA, he said Kobe. When prodded further about the possibility of teaming up with Kobe in the future, he replied with "maybe after I win my first ring". That, along with the fact that he signed with teams like the Hawks over contenders is really telling of his character. He's not a ring chaser, he wants to earn it.

He is unselfish on the court. He's probably one of the best swingman passers/playmakers the game has seen.

He rebounds with the best players at his position too.

He never seems to have problems with other players and his teammates all seem to love him.

It would have been amazing to see Kobe and Tmac respectively, on their own teams, competing with the new generation of superstars. Two old school players against the likes of Lebron, Durant, Wade, Howard, Rose, CP3... etc.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: If Tmac were healthy his entire career...

Some people would probably say he was very arrogant just because he played the game with such ease, but he was definitely my favourite player to watch growing up. He was very fun to watch and made most players in the league look sub par at best. Too bad his teams have always been terrible.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
RRR3
NBA Legend

RRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation here

Injuries certainly ruined his career, but he was doomed to have injuries (he was born with mild scoliosis). Assuming he didn't have the scoliosis, he'd still be one of the best players IMO. It wasn't just injuries that held T-Mac back, though, outside of his incredible 2002-03 season, I never thought he played up to his full capabilities throughout an entire season. The game came so easily to him he didn't work as hard as he probably should have. I'm a huge T-Mac fan, so I'm biased, but in terms of skill and talent, I think he could have been the greatest player to ever play the game if he had been healthier and worked harder. Bill Walton once said (when commentating on T-Mac in his prime) that "I can honestly say this guy has a chance to be the greatest player of all time". People forget how great he could be at times. He had a lot of bad luck, and that's unfortunate but I wish he would have worked harder to offset that as well. As it is, he may make the Hall of Fame one day, so that's something. His career is one of basketball's biggest "What if's?".
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
SwooshReturns
Samurai Swoosh

SwooshReturns has an OK reputation so far

He would've been the 2nd best SF of his generation outside of LeBron if he stayed healthy.
SwooshReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
RRR3
NBA Legend

RRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwooshReturns
He would've been the 2nd best SF of his generation outside of LeBron if he stayed healthy.
Peak T-Mac was better than LeBron IMO. And I always consider T-Mac a SG.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

think some of his injuries were either because of or made worse by the fact that he never looked like he did ANY kind of weight training.

barkely once commented that Tmac had the smallest calves he'd ever seen on a grown man...some of that is genetic but just pinpoints that he didn't take care of or work on his body...especially his wheels
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
goldenryan
I'm Back

goldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this board

Quote:
Better than lebron even.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

inclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

he kicked a ball into the stands
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
paperstreet
Serious playground baller

paperstreet has an OK reputation so far

i used to be a big fan, even had the tmac 2s....

but it wasn't just the injuries that derailed him, it was his motivation. He never had that drive to win. I even remember reading something about him wanting to try pitching in baseball, and retiring early.....

If he had a Jordan/Kobe work ethic, he could have been the GOAT.
paperstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
SwooshReturns
Samurai Swoosh

SwooshReturns has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
He was a better shooter and scorer, I don't know about better all-around player. I always considered him a SF. I know in Houston that is what he usually played. He was SF in Toronto ... he only played SG in Orlando because they were devoid of talent at that position.
SwooshReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
fsvr54
National High School Star

fsvr54 is considered somewhat coolfsvr54 is considered somewhat cool

He IS the most likeable player in the NBA. To those saying he has an ego are wrong. All he says since he has joined the Hawks is that he just wants to help these guys win games.
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
RRR3
NBA Legend

Quote:
He was a better shooter and scorer, I don't know about better all-around player. I always considered him a SF. I know in Houston that is what he usually played. He was SF in Toronto ... he only played SG in Orlando because they were devoid of talent at that position.
IDK it's close and it was only the 2002-03 T-Mac that I thought was better than LBJ. That season should have been the norm for him IMO, but as others said injuries and inconsistent motivation hurt him . He played the 2 in Houston too, depending on who the SF was. He could play 1-3 effectively, which is one of the things that was awesome about him. IDK though I'm probably biased because T-Mac was so much more fun (for me) to watch than any other player I've seen. He had one game this year against Miami where he turned back the clock briefly, he was draining threes in LeBron's face
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

No... because...

The more haters... the more power you have...
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3

RRR you are my man and all... but come on....
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
RRR3
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
No... just no...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: