Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #6616
dude77
NBA lottery pick
 
dude77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,083
dude77 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
I know a large portion of your reasoning stems from the Rodney King verdict. But you gitta remember, months prior, Natasha Harlens was shot in the back by a liquor store owner after an altercation. This incident like Kings was caught on tape. And the women was let go. Then a few months later the police are caught on video beating a man. And they were initially set free.


Whats more, is for the longest, the Black community has constantly made claims of brutality by police and unfair treatment by local patrons. People like you reply and act as if were exaggerating or lying. Thats why we get pissed

I get you .. but people need to learn how to react to things .. if whites decided to riot everytime a black perp attacked a white person, this country would be burned down by now .. so it's cool to see people keeping it civil for the most part
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #6617
ace23
*****
 
ace23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,449
ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone
It also never happens if Trayvon walks into his house instead of confronting Zimmerman and then assaulting him.
This is the defendant's account.

The fact that Zimmerman left his car is just that: FACT.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #6618
Dresta
BANNED!!!!
 
Dresta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,263
Dresta has not been impressing people
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
This is the defendant's account.

The fact that Zimmerman left his car is just that: FACT.
It also has no bearing on whether he is guilty of murder or not.

The fact that you are an ignorant cretin is just that: FACT.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #6619
daily
I rattle in 5-footers
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,272
daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Both Zimmerman and Martin made mistakes that led to the confrontation. Both had the opportunity to change the direction of the event and both for whatever reason chose not to.

Neither one of them is without fault, neither one of them has a past they can hang their hats on as a shining example of proper decision making.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #6620
Raymone
The Chosen King
 
Raymone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,041
Raymone is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
This is the defendant's account.

The fact that Zimmerman left his car is just that: FACT.

FACT: Trayvon had ample time to enter the house after Zim lost sight of him. 4 minutes, to be exact.
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #6621
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,613
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
I never believed they had to explain Zimmerans injuries. He was getting his ass kicked in a fight HE STARTED. He followed Martin, he got out of his truck to persue Martin. Think about that precedent. A man with a gun picks a fight with you, you get the upperhand and he shoots you?

I guess it depends on what you consider starting a physical fight. Zim who verbally questioned Trayvon. Or according to Zim's account, Trayvon who threw the first punch.

There were no marks on trayvon indicating he got punched.

I would never do what Zim did, but he didn't necessarily go pick a fight with trayvon. According to him he went to investigate a recent string of robberies. And got punched. Its not against the law to follow someone and ask them questions on public property.

And yes the prosecution had to explain the injuries. Not doing so really did a disservice to Trayvon. Zim never disputed he followed trayvon, he never disputed he shot trayvon. The crux of the whole trial was if it was self defense or not. Zim decided to forego a stand your ground defense, instead he decided to argue a traditional self defense claim. The prosecution by ignoring the injuries basically let Zim's account of self defense stand.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #6622
ace23
*****
 
ace23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,449
ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
It also has no bearing on whether he is guilty of murder or not.

The fact that you are an ignorant cretin is just that: FACT.
When did I say it did? He couldn't be proven guilty in a court of law. I respect that. Doesn't mean he didn't murder Trayvon.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #6623
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,515
97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
ZIMMERMAN IS NOT REQUIRED BY LAW TO STAY IN HIS CAR, WHAT IS SO ****ING HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT?

Jesus, the stupidity in here is so astounding that you're making me want to go get a gun and go on some mass killing spree. There is no hope for humanity when people are this dumb.
Right. Zimmerman is no more required to stay in his car than Martin is to go straight home. But we know Zims intentions. We dont know Martins. Stand your ground laws dictate Martin didnt have to run. But you conveniently neglect that. Why did Zimmerman get ot of his car and go in the direction of Martin? Surely not to get an address.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #6624
Dresta
BANNED!!!!
 
Dresta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,263
Dresta has not been impressing people
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
When did I say it did? He couldn't be proven guilty in a court of law. I respect that. Doesn't mean he didn't murder Trayvon.
I don't know, but there seem to be plenty of morons in here that think because Zimmerman got out of the car he is therefore the guilty party. I just assumed you were one of them.

It is like saying if i run over and kill someone who jumped in front of my car that it is my fault for choosing to go for a drive at that moment in time. If i had decided to stay in then that person would still be alive.

Such a rudimentary and pathetic understanding of cause and effect.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #6625
ace23
*****
 
ace23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,449
ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Right. Zimmerman is no more required to stay in his car than Martin is to go straight home. But we know Zims intentions. We dont know Martins. Stand your ground laws dictate Martin didnt have to run. But you conveniently neglect that. Why did Zimmerman get ot of his car and go in the direction of Martin? Surely not to get an address.
He said that he wanted to find that address of the street that he'd been patrolling for the past year.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #6626
MJ23forever
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
MJ23forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 752
MJ23forever posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMJ23forever posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
When did I say it did? He couldn't be proven guilty in a court of law. I respect that. Doesn't mean he didn't murder Trayvon.

Justifiable homicide isn't murder.
MJ23forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #6627
Pointguard
NBA rookie of the year
 
Pointguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 6,874
Pointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Daily, well at least you attempted which I think is a big step in the right direction. I don't have a problem deciphering what was said by the author but he makes way too many assumptions on legal precepts and he transitions thoughts horribly.

Originally Posted by Pointguard
Care to point out some inconsistencies then? I know you won't because you never back up anything you say, but one day you might show your virtual intelligence here - why not today???

WASHINGTON — It’s extremely unlikely George Zimmerman will pay a civil fine for killing Trayvon Martin, according to lawyers in Florida and other legal experts. One Florida law professor said he’d be “stunned” if a federal prosecution of Zimmerman goes ahead. So did he use civil fine to mean civil rights???
No he means Civil fine, he's talking about two different cases, A civil case as in martins family suing Zimmerman and a federal Civil Rights violation type of case. A civil fine is when you lose a civil suit, the "fine is the amount the plaintiffs are awarded. The second half is self explanatory, he said he'd be stunned if the feds bring a suit against Zimmerman

Show me where he says civil rights case in the paragraph. You can’t transition in the same paragraph to different subjects without clearly identifying the transition. You can’t take for granted that he even knows there is a difference. Bad writing. If it was a legal magazine you can take precepts for granted. But its far from that so its dangerous to presume his faulty wording can be taken for granted. You are guessing.


“Technically, there can still be a civil case,” said Tamara Rice Lave, a professor of criminal law at the University of Miami and a former San Diego public defender. {b]“However, Stand Your Ground is going to preclude that.” [/b]

At the start of his trial, Zimmerman waived the right to have a judge determine he was immune from prosecution in the Martin shooting under to Stand Your Ground, which says people can use deadly force rather than flee a situation where they feel their lives are in danger. After his acquittal, Zimmerman can rely on getting that immunity in a civil case, Lave said. So he can rely on the immunity he waived???
Yes he didn't waive it for all legal proceedings just the one he was facing at the time. If another legal action is brought against him he can ask for Stand Your Ground immunity and having just been acquitted in a self defense case there's a very good chance he would receive the immunity


Where in the article does it even mention a process of going to the court and getting the SYG procession. He also makes big assumptions that the SYG is a given when it is in fact a different law. Its not a guarantee nor given. He acts like its already done.


“It’s still hard, given a acquittal, to win in a civil case,” he said. He noted that if Zimmerman doesn’t get immunity under Stand Your Ground, the burden of proof would be much different and give the Martin family attorneys the chance for a win.
“If they got over the procedural hurdle [of immunity], I wouldn’t say that it would be impossible,” Hutchinson said. “I still think it’s difficult, given the lack of evidence we have in the case and the main eyewitness against him [Martin] being dead.” Who was the eyewitness in the OJ case??
Apples and Oranges OJ was in California, Zimmerman is in Florida, two different states with two different views on things. California has a very low burden of proof in Civil cases, You don't need much proof to bring action against an individual and there's no such thing as "reasonable doubt" for juries to overcome

You are implying that there is a beyond a reasonable doubt in the civil case in Florida? No it isn’t. I didn’t finish reading the article but I know it didn’t say that. And it leads people like you to make broad assumptions that are incorrect which is what I was saying in the beginning. And then they go on message boards and think they got it down pack.

Now it might have said that about the civil rights case and I will readily agree that the article makes that transition in horrible fashion.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #6628
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,613
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Right. Zimmerman is no more required to stay in his car than Martin is to go straight home. But we know Zims intentions. We dont know Martins. Stand your ground laws dictate Martin didnt have to run. But you conveniently neglect that. Why did Zimmerman get ot of his car and go in the direction of Martin? Surely not to get an address.

I suspect he went because he assumed based on Trayvon's appearance (racial profiling) and the fact that he had not seen him previously that trayvon was a criminal. The truth is trayvon was going back to his dad's residence after buying skittles and ice tea. I consider what happens next tragic, but based on the trial I believe Zim killed trayvon in self defense.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #6629
ace23
*****
 
ace23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,449
ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
I don't know, but there seem to be plenty of morons in here that think because Zimmerman got out of the car he is therefore the guilty party. I just assumed you were one of them.

It is like saying if i run over and kill someone who jumped in front of my car that it is my fault for choosing to go for a drive at that moment in time. If i had decided to stay in then that person would still be alive.

Such a rudimentary and pathetic understanding of cause and effect.
Not a good comparison.

There's just no reason for Zimmerman to have left the car in my mind other than to confront Trayvon. It's not just the fact that he left his car; it's that there seems to be no reason for him to do so - we're forced to fill in the blanks. It was the prosecution's job to do so with evidence - they didn't. Oh well.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #6630
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 11,444
DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone
FACT: Trayvon had ample time to enter the house after Zim lost sight of him. 4 minutes, to be exact.

The State, police, and even the defense are all on record that Trayvon Martin hid from Zimmerman after running away from him (most likely after realizing the creepy guy stalking him was now out of his car chasing after him). So that's Trayvon's alibi for what he was doing during that time span.

Now what was Zimmerman doing in the 2 minutes space after he hung up with dispatch and when Trayvon's phone call with Rachel Jeantel ended (the time where the confrontation would've started)? According to him, he was a 30-40 sec walk away from the car he was allegedly returning too. Yet 2 minutes later the confrontation occurs.

Logic says he continued searching for the kid, and eventually found where he was hiding and according to Jeantel, he tried to physically engage him.

To this day, I still haven't seen anyone who claims that Trayvon went home and then returned to randomly kill a stranger he had just run away from and just happened to run into Zim at the exact moment he returned from his address hunt at the T give an answer as to what his motive was.

We know Zim was convinced that Trayvon was 'up to no good', a 'f*cking punk', and one of those 'assholes who always get away'. His motive was making sure someone he mistakenly profiled as a criminal didn't escape. He wanted to detain him so he could be the hero when the police arrived. Trayvon wasn't compliant and tried to fight him off thinking (reasonably) he was a mugger, or a child molester (ironically, he was), etc.

Now what was Trayvon's motive for trying to kill a stranger he ran away from? I've asked this question probably a dozen times here and no one has even attempted to tackle this.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy