Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
Deuce Bigalow
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Deuce Bigalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,706
Default Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

I looked through the top 100 PPG players that played a of minimum 30 playoff games.

Career Playoff PPG - Career Regular Season PPG
Wilt Chamberlain: -7.6 ppg
Glen Robinson: -6.9 ppg
John Drew: -6.7 ppg
Stephon Marbury: -6.7 ppg
World B. Free: -6.3 ppg
Spencer Haywood: -5.8 ppg
Tiny Archibald: -4.6 ppg
Neil Johnston: -4.4 ppg
Jamal Mashburn: -4.1 ppg
Kiki Vandeweghe: -3.6 ppg
Gilbert Arenas: -3.6 ppg
Chris Bosh: -3.6 ppg
David Robinson: -3.0 ppg
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 21,837
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
I looked through the top 100 PPG players that played a of minimum 30 playoff games.

Career Playoff PPG - Career Regular Season PPG
Wilt Chamberlain: -7.6 ppg
Glen Robinson: -6.9 ppg
John Drew: -6.7 ppg
Stephon Marbury: -6.7 ppg
World B. Free: -6.3 ppg
Spencer Haywood: -5.8 ppg
Tiny Archibald: -4.6 ppg
Neil Johnston: -4.4 ppg
Jamal Mashburn: -4.1 ppg
Kiki Vandeweghe: -3.6 ppg
Gilbert Arenas: -3.6 ppg
Chris Bosh: -3.6 ppg
David Robinson: -3.0 ppg

Seems to fit the reputation of these after 1990 players.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
russwest0
Nba GOAT
 
russwest0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Da Bible Belt
Posts: 5,073
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Do FG% next
russwest0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
plowking
greeting earthlings
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: now taking over your radio
Posts: 21,515
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

F*ck Jamal Mashburn.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,825
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

'Wilt's playoff stats for dummies' (OP):

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=260704

50 percent of Wilt's career playoff games are played from the age of 32-36, as a defensive anchor.

Where as only 32 percent of Wilt's career regular season games are played from that same age with that same role.

His scoring years on inferior teams weren't spent deep in the playoffs like his solid teams in his later years, they even switched the format of # of games played in the 1st round after his offensive role changed (during his scoring years round 1 was only a best of 5 series not a best of 7). Basically, career playoff and career regular season stats should not be compared directly w/o an understanding of differences like this. This goes for any player - as there are other great players on here who your inadvertently throwing under the bus (like Tiny Archibald) with your obvious agenda thread. OP knows this, he's just up to his usual Wilt trolling and Jlauber/LAZERUSS essay baiting.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 11-30-2013 at 01:33 AM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
moe94
creep to a low speed
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,389
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

What's the word on the boy Mikan?
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
Deuce Bigalow
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Deuce Bigalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,706
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
'Wilt's playoff stats for dummies' (OP):

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=260704

50 percent of Wilt's career playoff games are played from the age of 32-36, as a defensive anchor.

Where as only 32 percent of Wilt's career regular season games are played from that same age with that same role.

His scoring years on inferior teams weren't spent deep in the playoffs like his solid teams in his later years, they even switched the format of # of games played in the 1st round after his offensive role changed (during his scoring years round 1 was only a best of 5 series not a best of 7). Basically, career playoff and career regular season stats should not be compared directly w/o an understanding of differences like this. This goes for any player - as there are other great players on here who your inadvertently throwing under the bus (like Tiny Archibald) with your obvious agenda thread. OP knows this, he's just up to his usual Wilt trolling and Jlauber/LAZERUSS essay baiting.
I'll paste what I already posted in that thread

This argument that the reason for his huge playoff ppg drop (30.1 to 22.5) was because he became more focused on defense and stopped being the primary scorer later on in his career doesn't even make sense. He did the same thing in the regular season too. From '60-'66 Wilt averaged over 33 ppg every regular season. From '66-'73 he never averaged more than 25 ppg in a regular season. Meaning he changed his role in the regular season too, not just in the playoffs.

Even if you look at his scoring prime and compare the regular season and playoff stats you will see a huge decline.
Wilt '60-'66 Regular season ppg: 39.6
Wilt '60-'66 Postseason ppg: 32.8

6.8 ppg drop-off, which is almost the same as his career 7.6 ppg drop-off.
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
Deuce Bigalow
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Deuce Bigalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,706
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
What's the word on the boy Mikan?
His PPG went up of course
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,825
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
I'll paste what I already posted in that thread

This argument that the reason for his huge playoff ppg drop (30.1 to 22.5) was because he became more focused on defense and stopped being the primary scorer later on in his career doesn't even make sense. He did the same thing in the regular season too. From '60-'66 Wilt averaged over 33 ppg every regular season. From '66-'73 he never averaged more than 25 ppg in a regular season. Meaning he changed his role in the regular season too, not just in the playoffs.

Even if you look at his scoring prime and compare the regular season and playoff stats you will see a huge decline.
Wilt '60-'66 Regular season ppg: 39.6
Wilt '60-'66 Postseason ppg: 32.8

6.8 ppg drop-off, which is almost the same as his career 7.6 ppg drop-off.
Save yourself the headache and click the link Deuce, it shows you the number of games he played in regular season, and playoffs. The ratio is different, much much different than even comparing the seasons alone would indicate. Is this too complicated to understand for you? He played a disproportinately higher number of games as a defensive player or balanced all around player in the playoffs than he did as a scorer. He played hardly any playoff games at all as a scorer in comparison to how his regular season career was played.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Deuce Bigalow
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Deuce Bigalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,706
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Save yourself the headache and click the link Deuce, it shows you the number of games he played in regular season, and playoffs. The ratio is different, much much different than the seasons alone would indicate. Is this too complicated to understand for you?
How much more facts do you want? His career Playoff PPG drop-off is 7.6. His PPG dropped in the playoffs every single year of his career. In his scoring prime where he won 7 scoring titles in a row, his playoff ppg dropped off by 6.8. In the second part of his career his playoff ppg also dropped off. But go on and tell me more about how modern day camera's would make Wilt's arms look bigger...
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 21,837
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
'Wilt's playoff stats for dummies' (OP):

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=260704

50 percent of Wilt's career playoff games are played from the age of 32-36, as a defensive anchor.

Where as only 32 percent of Wilt's career regular season games are played from that same age with that same role.

His scoring years on inferior teams weren't spent deep in the playoffs like his solid teams in his later years, they even switched the format of # of games played in the 1st round after his offensive role changed (during his scoring years round 1 was only a best of 5 series not a best of 7). Basically, career playoff and career regular season stats should not be compared directly w/o an understanding of differences like this. This goes for any player - as there are other great players on here who your inadvertently throwing under the bus (like Tiny Archibald) with your obvious agenda thread. OP knows this, he's just up to his usual Wilt trolling and Jlauber/LAZERUSS essay baiting.

Was the OP's just career average minus playoff average? I thought this was going to be based on years where they were in both, such that you average the differential each year. For example, in Wilt's rookie year he averaged 37.6ppg in the regular season and 33.2ppg in the playoffs, making a 4.4 point differential. Doing it this way, Wilt on average had a 4.18 drop in points from regular season to playoffs.

I have no idea how that compares to others and I won't be calculating it. There must be a website that can do this quickly.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,825
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
How much more facts do you want? His career Playoff PPG drop-off is 7.6. His PPG dropped in the playoffs every single year of his career. In his scoring prime where he won 7 scoring titles in a row, his playoff ppg dropped off by 6.8. In the second part of his career his playoff ppg also dropped off. But go on and tell me more about how modern day camera's would make Wilt's arm's look bigger...
The amount of ether delivered to you in your own Wilt threads in recent months has been borderline criminal. I know a few years ago you had a good run trolling Wilt and his passionate fan JL back when nobody else was doing research and no footage existed but look, I truly am sorry to say this to you and ruin your fun but not many people care about Wilt-bashing anymore, it's nothing more than a novelty on ISH these days. Too much actual research has been done, too much actual footage has been uncovered. If you act serious about it your only going to drown in your own threads, because it's too easy to dispel your misinformation or add the appropriate context to anything you say. From here on out every time you try to talk about Wilt in a condescending manner it's just going to look like a sad attempt to get attention because we all know you've been corrected enough times to know better.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
SamuraiSWISH
GOAT gonna GOAT
 
SamuraiSWISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,828
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Wilt stans rolling out the excuse carpet once again.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 21,837
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
Wilt stans rolling out the excuse carpet once again.

I only see CavFTW defending. I was just pointing out what I thought would be a more accurate way of comparing based on his complaint and used Wilt as the example. So.... who are these stans you speak of?
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #15
moe94
creep to a low speed
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,389
Default Re: Highest career PPG drop-off from Regular season to Playoffs List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
So.... who are these stans you speak of?

Cav counts as like 10 stans by himself, at least.
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy