Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Shameless (US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Um, I really hope you guys know that I'm talking about a Showtime show called "Episodes" starring Matt LeBlanc.

So yeah, like I said, pretty sure it didn't premiere last week.

I just started watching the first season of Episodes

don't like Shameless tho, I find the entire cast to be unlikable. I get that they are this roguish family that gets by etc but William h macy, the not gay brother, the gay brother, rossum's character are just plain unlikable to me and not douchey in the charming way but just douchey.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
I just started watching the first season of Episodes

don't like Shameless tho, I find the entire cast to be unlikable. I get that they are this roguish family that gets by etc but William h macy, the not gay brother, the gay brother, rossum's character are just plain unlikable to me and not douchey in the charming way but just douchey.

I find this to be a perfectly reasonable opinion. Particularly about Macy and the Not Gay Brother, who they play off as being the smartest guy around but can't his family out of this situation and resorts to organizing petty crime. He needs to get the Good Will Hunting speech that Ben Affleck gives.

Rossum's character I still find likable, mostly because they do a good job of conveying the overwhelming-ness of the situation. But there are moments where she's a little too cool for her own good. I find her relationship with the nice guy cop a little troubling. Either play that guy into an asshole, which shouldn't be that hard with a cop, or have her show some genuine response to the guy.

Episodes was specatacular last year. One of the funniest shows on television.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
EricGordon23
Good college starter

EricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation here

Anyone watching shameless season 3?
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGordon23
Anyone watching shameless season 3?

I am.

Still eminantly watchable, but the same problems. Characters can be schizophrecic.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I'm also still watching House of Lies, which I find terrible, but I still feel compelled to watch. I can't believe he was a golden globe for that god awfull fast talk say nothing character.

And I'm watching Californication, which is sort of a say a lot without saying anything character. This so far has been the worst season of it that I can recall. The British aging rock character is terrible. And Runkle pretending to be gay to sign the gay actor has been terrible.

And I'm also watching Girls, which I have enjoyed more this year than most of last year. Seem to be getting more sort of one off young living experiences.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

I've really been diggin Shameless. The black chick has really nice tits.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm also still watching House of Lies, which I find terrible, but I still feel compelled to watch. I can't believe he was a golden globe for that god awfull fast talk say nothing character.

And I'm watching Californication, which is sort of a say a lot without saying anything character. This so far has been the worst season of it that I can recall. The British aging rock character is terrible. And Runkle pretending to be gay to sign the gay actor has been terrible.

And I'm also watching Girls, which I have enjoyed more this year than most of last year. Seem to be getting more sort of one off young living experiences.
If HoL had anyone else in place of Don Cheadle I'd probably find it completely unwatchable.

Californication kinda falls into the same league as Shameless for me. It's sometimes terrible, but if often saves itself by putting characters into completely outlandish situations which are usually entertaining enough + occasional nudity from good looking women.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

hump de bump. anyone else still watching?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm still watching. I don't really like the actual show all that much, but it's got a pretty great, relatively, cast of child actors and Emmy Rossum is absolutely outstanding in it. she deserves an Emmy for this show. I assume William H. Macy's a big reason it got made in the first place, but his character's become the biggest drag on the show.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #25
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here

It has its moments, but I find it over the top at times. If I was 15 I would be watching this show all the time. I like Californication better even though its over the top as well.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #26
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
It has its moments, but I find it over the top at times. If I was 15 I would be watching this show all the time. I like Californication better even though its over the top as well.
I watched Californiacation for the first two or three seasons but it didn't get me hooked like Shameless did. I really dig this show, mainly for how different each Gallagher's personality is.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #27
Jakeh008
Banned

Jakeh008 is popular on this boardJakeh008 is popular on this boardJakeh008 is popular on this boardJakeh008 is popular on this board

My favorite show on TV

Great season. Great Finale

I just read that they didn't even tell the cast about the last scene and they all went crazy on twitter.
Jakeh008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #28
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I really do enjoy this show. But I stand by my criticisms basically from it's inception.

It has become almost an ensemble character study. I've found what they've done this season to be darker generally than previous seasons. Sure every year has it's spots, but they're usually bouyied by elements of outright silliness. This season seemed to have less of that silliness, which frankly I'm fine with. It was one of my issues with the show that made it seem schizophrenic. I don't mind the darker tone at all, and it can still get it's laughs from more naturally exploring some of the situations these characters get into.

I also think one of the reason's I enjoyed this season more was that they had trimmed some of the fat. The Karen storyline was mercifully over, and with her her stud sex addict tattoo artist boyfriend who went on to expose his ***** in Black Sails instead. (Joan Cusack's Sheila has been a mess this entire series. Does anyone remember she couldn't leave her house?)
And the Jimmy / Steve character was for me mercifully gone as well. Both of those relationships took the two most well played, and best to explore characters, in Fiona and Lip, and drove them into these plot driven sloppy story arcs, that it felt like they'd never get out of. Fiona is plenty interesting just dealing with her family stresses and being 23 and everything else. Her attracting a boy from the good side of the tracks was fine. Her dealing with the discomfort of her spoiling her was fine. His being a family rebel who ran a luxory car thieving ring throughout Chicago, yet seemingly had no friends of his own ... uhhh I suppose ... and becoming a drug mule / green card getting for smoking hot daughters of cartel bosses ...
let's be fair, as much as I enjoyed the hot spanish cartel daughter, this show is trying to ground itself in the reality of this family, especially this daughter, who has taken on a rediculous amount of responsibility in caring for this disfunctional family. And that story was absurd at best. So to re-introduce him, and then to do so giving him yet another fake name!?!?! to me was crazy.

I have often found Frank's character a little broken from reality. But this season was a nice arc to me. Certainly extremely dark. But still with more than it's share of dark comedy, like searching out the long lost daughter for a kidney. But I do feel like the show would've benefitted from his story having run it's course. But that also assumes the show starts winding down. A season of Lip and Fiona coming to terms with their father's passing could be an incredible way to end the show. And I more than once thought Frank would die this season. I felt like Frank dieing and having his heart go to the little girl he thought was Fiona woulda been a nice touch. Overall the Frank character felt seperated from the show this year anyway, with the exception of his relationship with Carl. And in a show where I feel they could benefit from cutting some fat, adding Sammy as yet another daughter felt unnecessary with the exception of fluffing up a bad B-Plot to keep Frank and Sheila relevant. That time to me could've been used better on Kev and V, or any other number of things.

Ian and Mickey are a great couple. The kid who plays Mickey in particular is great. But I really disliked the way than ran Ian all season. The coming out of the closet story line should've been plenty. Fishing out the mother's bi-polar disorder, which I really felt the kid couldn't handle the material for starters, but it also felt like it wasn't needed to add to an already pretty good dynamic, and it calls back to the mother character that didn't add a lot of value anyway.

I think Mickey's russian hooker wife is a compelling character, and think it will be cool when they ramp up that character next year.

Lip in college is a really well done exploration that hopefully they continue to flesh out. And his difficulty in leaving behind the old neighborhood is really high end stuff. It also helps that he's had some difficulty academically after year after year of being portrayed as a guy who just wouldn't cash in his lottery ticket. The re-connection with the ex girlfriend will make for good stuff next season I think.

I've never been a fan of either Carl or Debbie, but both seemed to come along really well this season. Both still make me a bit uncomfortable because of what they explore at their ages. But Debbie in particular seems to be a pretty astute actress. And Carl is coming along, and keeps Frank connected.

And as for the big reveal at the end last night, I wasn't a huge fan. Like I said, there's already perhaps too much here. Bringing back a character that to me had spun the show wildly off course anyway was a mistake. I personally was fine with the closure I had gotten on him. Throwing him back into this just feels like a huge mistake, especially with the new name, the new chick he's with, we're going to be given all manner of horseshit new story with him that I'm sure will chase Fiona around. And I'm certain the end game is Fiona finally takes off with him to start her own life at some point, but there should be other options for that outside of this numbnuts.

Anyway. Enjoyable show, and I felt this was a particularly good season, even though I'm less certain about it moving forward.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #29
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I really like this show. It really picked up steam about midway through Season 3.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #30
Andrei89
Yes We Did

Andrei89 has decent reputationAndrei89 has decent reputation

The show is awesome.

Did not enjoy this season that much because there was not enough Frank Gallagher action. He is the best character on the show and next season without a doubt will be better.
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: