Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation
Default Re: It seems obvious to me the Lakers need to sign Gilbert Arenas

he is not a competent enough to run the point.

He's an undersized shooting guard who is a chucker. The Lakers already have one and he wears number 24.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #17
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I'd like to see this happen. High reward, low risk move. Gil needs another shot at a comeback!
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He has shot knees.
He has no jump anymore
His shot is bad

I wouldn't want him... sorry.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
upside24
Aspire To Be Great

upside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTupac
He has shot knees.
He has no jump anymore
His shot is bad

I wouldn't want him... sorry.
This pretty much. His knees stiffened up on him numerous times last year and he could barely get on the court. Trainers didn't know what to do to improve it either.
upside24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
D.J.
College superstar

D.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputation

Arenas hasn't been the slightest bit relevant in 2 years and hasn't been elite in 4 years. He has no lift in his legs whatsoever, chucks just as much, can't guard anyone, and is just not capable of being a 20 PPG scorer anymore.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #21
no pun intended
Mozart Basketball

no pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation here

Guns & Hennessy
no pun intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #22
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
At the very least you'll know Gilbert can run an offense and with the ball in his hands as a PG can still be effective. In his last season as a starter at PG in 2009-2010 with the Wizards, Gilbert was averaging 25 PPG 7 APG.

It seems obvious to me, that you have not seen Arenas play much.

Arenas' highest seasonal ppg is 6, and he only got those assists by virtue of being on the floor with the ball in his hands virtually the entire game. He doesn't run shit. Those Wizards teams were pretty fun, but their offense centered around Arenas and Butler and Jamison doing their own thing, not around Arenas running the team and distributing the basketball.

Maybe Arenas should go back to the Wizards and learn some of Sam Cassell's old man tricks. That way he might carve out a good role for himself in this league. But current Arenas player old school Arenas basketball is not going to work.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #23
ImmortalD24
Banned

ImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation here

Pass.

The Lakers just need to bench Fisher's old (expletive).. Blake and even rookie Goudelock are better options at the 1.
ImmortalD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #24
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Arenas may end up in Atlanta.

I'd rather have Iverson between the two.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #25
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
Arenas has basically lost all athleticism so he'd be a shooter off the bench, right? Oh wait, we already have like 10 shooters and half of them have better attitudes than he would and don't need the ball in their hands to be effective. This would've been a good move... 6 years ago.
He hasn't had any knee surgeries in the last 3 years. When he came back from his last knee surgery, he was averaging 25 PPG in the month before he was suspended for guns in the 2009-2010 season. He missed the entire season due to suspension, not any injuries. Last season(2010-2011) in Washington he was still a productive starter which raised his trade value enough to swing a deal to move him.

It is clear to everyone that Orlando was a failure. Hes not a "spot shooter" and he has never been one. Why would I suggest LA sign him to play the same role he failed in in Orlando? This isnt the Triangle Offense anymore. Lakers need a PG who can handle the ball, create his own shot, and is capable of running an offense instead of backup "spot shooters" with terrible D.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board

I think anything is an upgrade over Fisher at the starting PG position.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #27
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
It seems obvious to me, that you have not seen Arenas play much.

Arenas' highest seasonal ppg is 6, and he only got those assists by virtue of being on the floor with the ball in his hands virtually the entire game. He doesn't run shit. Those Wizards teams were pretty fun, but their offense centered around Arenas and Butler and Jamison doing their own thing, not around Arenas running the team and distributing the basketball.

Having lived in the DC area and attended many Wizards games, I can confirm for a fact that you're talking out of your ass and only going off of what you pull up on ESPN.

Arenas ran their offense and was responsible for distributing the ball to his teammates, considering it took Butler several years to change from being a black hole/ball stopper on offense. To suggest Arenas was a "ball dominant" player is even more ridiculous considering he made a conscious effort to get his teammates involved and Eddie Jordan wanted the ball out of his hands. Thats essentially why a player like Butler and even DeShawn Stevenson were getting touches as far as creating for others, that was Eddie Jordan's plan. We know Arenas was a big time scorer, but many people forget his penetrating ability opened up a lot of shots for their shooters.

The idea that Arenas/Butler/Jamison were "doing their own thing" is ridiculous as well. This wasnt some Isolation offense. The basics of the Princeton offense Jordan preached involved a lot of movement to "spots" to score. Players like Butler, Jamison, etc took shots in specific locations each time and it was Gilbert who was the one setting up the plays and running through the motions to set them up. His assist numbers would've been higher if the Wizards didnt have such a terrible coach who was against them pushing the ball and getting out in transition.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #28
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

After tonight's game this thread has some merit.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 AM   #29
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyph
He shot 30% for the magic
He lost ALL His athletisism
He is another headcase

why would they want him? morris would be a better bet...
They're grasping at straws.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #30
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
Having lived in the DC area and attended many Wizards games, I can confirm for a fact that you're talking out of your ass and only going off of what you pull up on ESPN.

Arenas ran their offense and was responsible for distributing the ball to his teammates, considering it took Butler several years to change from being a black hole/ball stopper on offense. To suggest Arenas was a "ball dominant" player is even more ridiculous considering he made a conscious effort to get his teammates involved and Eddie Jordan wanted the ball out of his hands. Thats essentially why a player like Butler and even DeShawn Stevenson were getting touches as far as creating for others, that was Eddie Jordan's plan. We know Arenas was a big time scorer, but many people forget his penetrating ability opened up a lot of shots for their shooters.

The idea that Arenas/Butler/Jamison were "doing their own thing" is ridiculous as well. This wasnt some Isolation offense. The basics of the Princeton offense Jordan preached involved a lot of movement to "spots" to score. Players like Butler, Jamison, etc took shots in specific locations each time and it was Gilbert who was the one setting up the plays and running through the motions to set them up. His assist numbers would've been higher if the Wizards didnt have such a terrible coach who was against them pushing the ball and getting out in transition.

Arenas did not run that team. Jamison has been a pure iso scorer his entire career. And guess what, he's still playing at pretty much the same level he was. Under what point guards these past years? Uhhh. Baron Davis? Mo Williams? That's right. Same player. Different system? Same player.

Same goes for Butler. Butler actually had his best season ever when Arenas was out for the season. That doesn't sound like something that would happen to a solid point guard. Good point guards let players get career numbers when playing with them. Not when it's physically impossible for them to hog the ball, which was the case with Arenas.

Just to clarify, I really liked Arenas game back in the day. But distributing the ball was never one of his strengths. You could clearly see that last season. If he was a good distributor he could have fallen back on that, at least help his team in that regard. Yet he continued to put up horrible shots, as if that was all he knew. I wonder why that is? I wonder why he didn't show the incredible distributive side to Arenas that you insist there must be last season.

Last edited by LJJ : 12-27-2011 at 03:35 AM.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: