Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Stiff #1
Banned

Stiff #1 has an OK reputation so far
Default If George Mikan and Jerry West played in today's game, how good would they be?

Would they...

A) Be better (be mentioned with Jordan/Wilt/Bird/Shaq)
B) Be the same (superstars)
C) Suck (rot on the bench for the OKC Thunder)

Your thoughts.
Stiff #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
QuestFor17
I hit open layups

QuestFor17 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: If George Mikan and Jerry West played in today's game, how good would they be?

I think West was skilled enough to hang, but Mikan would get abused. He would simply not be athletic enough to hang, IMO.
QuestFor17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Stiff #1
Banned

Default Re: If George Mikan and Jerry West played in today's game, how good would they be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestFor17
I think West was skilled enough to hang, but Mikan would get abused. He would simply not be athletic enough to hang, IMO.
I agree with Mikan. I also think West would be as good as Luke Ridnour in his prime (and only if surrounded by great teammates, similar to what I like to call the "Rajon Rondo" effect). But if he was asked to lead a team on his own, I think he'd be really, really bad.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

There's some ambiguity here. Do you mean if they were literally time warped here in their primes, or if they developed in today's climate with the advancement of the game? If you mean the former, then I think Mikan wouldn't be much better than a Jeff Foster, but West, I think, would be a good player. If you mean the latter scenario, then both have a good shot at becoming all star caliber players.

Last edited by Showtime : 12-16-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Stiff #1
Banned

GTFO of here.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1
GTFO of here.
You don't think if Mikan was developed in today's NBA climate that he couldn't be as good as Kevin Love or Tyler Hansbrough coming in? Brad freaking Miller was an all star. I don't think it's a stretch to say Mikan could have a good shot at being one too.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

is this BULLS new screen name? lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
juju151111
Very good NBA starter

juju151111 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
You don't think if Mikan was developed in today's NBA climate that he couldn't be as good as Kevin Love or Tyler Hansbrough coming in? Brad freaking Miller was an all star. I don't think it's a stretch to say Mikan could have a good shot at being one too.
Hell no.
juju151111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

West was 6'5 SG, with solid athletcism, and huge wingspan...add in his phenominal shooting ability, tenacious D, clutchness, and court awareness. I'm sure he'd excel in todays game.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Stiff #1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
People please, just ignore this guy.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
Stiff #1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valliant13
West was 6'5 SG, with solid athletcism, and huge wingspan...add in his phenominal shooting ability, tenacious D, clutchness, and court awareness. I'm sure he'd excel in todays game.
West was 6'1" in shoes with a slow first step, terrible vertical, poor ball-handling skills and the mental toughness of a third grade female. He would be Luke Ridnour at his absolute best.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #12
Stiff #1
Banned

Alright people, that's enough. Time to stop denying the facts and realize that Jerry West and George Mikan would be nothing more than ass-scratching, ear-picking bums warming the very END of the OKC Thunder bench if they played today.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
West was 6'1" in shoes with a slow first step, terrible vertical, poor ball-handling skills and the mental toughness of a third grade female. He would be Luke Ridnour at his absolute best.

OK, whatever, BULLS/3323/Legends/G I N T/whatever else.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

What if Larry Bird played today? Do you think he would be better than Hedo Turkoglu or...?

Imagine if Manu had a Reggie Miller mid-range shot, was First Team All D and led the league in steals, blocks (for a guard), FTA, drove relentlessly, and could pass. Do you think a player like that would be good?

Did you ever see the 1972 All Star game?

Or the '69 Finals?

This guy is a robot.

Archibald said West played him the toughest...and West was old by then...

Last edited by stephanieg : 12-16-2008 at 05:02 PM.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1
Alright people, that's enough. Time to stop denying the facts and realize that Jerry West and George Mikan would be nothing more than ass-scratching, ear-picking bums warming the very END of the OKC Thunder bench if they played today.

Grow up kid. Maybe make some friends so you don't spend you days forcing out the same repetitive schtick.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: