Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #31
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Fantasy News/Advice/Sitem-Startem/ETC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
What do you think of this team:

QB- Eli Manning
RB- Lesean McCoy
RB- Frank Gore
RB/WR- Shonn Greene
WR- Dez Bryant
WR- Wes Welker
TE- Jimmy Graham
D/ST- Chiefs
K- Matt Bryant
bench- Daniel Thomas
bench- James Starks
bench- Johnnyy Knox
bench- Greg Little
bench-Montario Hhardesty
bench- Kendal Hunter
bench- Jay Cutler

14 teams standard scoring.
thats a great team, do the guys you're playing with know what they are doing? how did you get shonn greene in the 5th round of a standard scoring league?!
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #32
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
thats a great team, do the guys you're playing with know what they are doing? how did you get shonn greene in the 5th round of a standard scoring league?!

Yeah, there are definitely some clueless guys in this league lol. I got Gore at 20 overall (Steve Jackson went 1st round lol) and Green 5th round. I wish I had a little more depth at WR but I can live with it for now. I won this league two years running and its a $50 buy-in so I think it will be some easy money lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #33
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ha, I just remembered the first league I did with you guys two years ago I panicked one pick and selected laron maclain and was laughed at for an hour. LOL no idea why that popped into my head just now
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #34
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good thread.

I concur with Marlo that it is important not to reach for a player just because you like him, he is on a team that you root for or even if you think he is going to have a big year.

For instance, I just completed my first FF draft of the season today (for a big money league) and I really had no interest in MJD at the start of the draft. I was selecting 6th overall and he was nowhere on my radar screen.

Chris Johnson fell to me at No. 6, so I grabbed him. I was targeting a specific WR coming back around, but MJD tumbled all the way back to me with the 18th pick overall. I could not allow him to slip by me even though the player I had tagged was still on the board.

As a result, I have a CJ/MJD tandem at RB and, even with average years out of those guys, I will have far and away the best starting pair in the league.

Another thing, which I'm not sure whether or not Marlo touched upon...

I always find it valuable to go through the positions and see which are the strongest and which are the weakest. The best player on the board might well be a running back, but if I think the dropoff between that guy and the next guy I might have a shot at is less than maybe a less valuable receiver that sees a dramatic fall afterward, I will go with the receiver.

I don't just rank players, but I rank positions by their strength in a given year... And, I will often separate players into tiers based on what will be available from round-to-round.

Here is my starting lineup from my first draft today...

QB - Josh Freeman
RB - Chris Johnson
RB - Maurice Jones-Drew
WR - Dwayne Bowe
WR - Dez Bryant
Flex - Steve Johnson
TE - Jason Witten

12-man PPR league... $200 buy-in.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 08-21-2011 at 10:33 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #35
TylerOO
Back in Cleveland!

TylerOO has no real reputation yet.

Heres a few sleepers. I define a sleeper as someone who will outproduce their ADP.

Mario Manningham
Felix Jones
Percy Harvin
Jared Cook
Owen Daniels
Tim Hightower
Marshawn Lynch

Oh yea DO NOT draft Dwayne Bowe. You will be very disappointed.
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #36
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
Heres a few sleepers. I define a sleeper as someone who will outproduce their ADP.

Mario Manningham
Felix Jones
Percy Harvin
Jared Cook
Owen Daniels
Tim Hightower
Marshawn Lynch

Oh yea DO NOT draft Dwayne Bowe. You will be very disappointed.
Disappointed, eh? Like last year?

Define disappointed... Are you saying that he won't have a repeat performance of being the second most productive WR in the league? I might agree with that. But, I also wouldn't consider a little less than that a disappointment.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #37
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
12 Team PPR League - Feel pretty good about it..

QB - Matt Ryan
WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Santonio Holmes
WR - Julio Jones
RB - Arian Foster
RB - Matt Forte
FLEX (WR/RB/TE) - Lagarette Blount
TE - Kellen Winslow

Bench:
Danny Woodhead
Greg Little
Brandon Jacobs
Rob Gronkowski
Jerome Harrison

Gonna need some work but not bad.
I've had some time to analyze this draft and pin point some things I think I did wrong. I slightly reached for Julio Jones because I knew that he wouldn't be available during my next pick. This is a high risk/high reward selection and while I'm quite confident he'll exceed his ADP production wise it was still a reach nonetheless.

When I picked Kellen Winslow (who I like as a nice value pick) I should have taken of passed on him and selected an additional WR since I was able to grab Gronkowski later. I do save a little face since we are able to start an additional TE in the flex.

Should have made a point to draft a better back up QB.

Not a strong bench at all.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #38
TylerOO
Back in Cleveland!

TylerOO has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Disappointed, eh? Like last year?

Define disappointed... Are you saying that he won't have a repeat performance of being the second most productive WR in the league? I might agree with that. But, I also wouldn't consider a little less than that a disappointment.

Its not even arguable that he feasted on crappy teams. His best games were against the following teams, TEN, DEN, SEA, JAC, HOU, ARI, all bottom 10 in passing last year. This year his schedule is much more difficult, especially late in the regular season (fantasy season) and playoff time. Including a stretch of Pitt, Chicago, Jets, GB, from week 12-15. He also has games against SD x2, and Miami. He also plays OAK twice, yes they lose Nnamdi but they still have a very solid defense. Bowe only has three games against teams in the bottom HALF of passing defense last year. Not feeling him at all. Look at his last 5 weeks of last season, that i what I expect from him. He will have one game out of 5 where he puts up good stats. Not to mention he didnt have one target against the Ravens in the playoffs. I know you have him and its good to stay positive, but I personally dont think he will top 7 TD's, this year. Now, if he proves me wrong, good for him and you, I like him as a player and guy, and had him past two years.
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #39
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

marlo what pick did you have?
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #40
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
marlo what pick did you have?
1st - what do you think
Old 08-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #41
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
Its not even arguable that he feasted on crappy teams. His best games were against the following teams, TEN, DEN, SEA, JAC, HOU, ARI, all bottom 10 in passing last year. This year his schedule is much more difficult, especially late in the regular season (fantasy season) and playoff time. Including a stretch of Pitt, Chicago, Jets, GB, from week 12-15. He also has games against SD x2, and Miami. He also plays OAK twice, yes they lose Nnamdi but they still have a very solid defense. Bowe only has three games against teams in the bottom HALF of passing defense last year. Not feeling him at all. Look at his last 5 weeks of last season, that i what I expect from him. He will have one game out of 5 where he puts up good stats. Not to mention he didnt have one target against the Ravens in the playoffs. I know you have him and its good to stay positive, but I personally dont think he will top 7 TD's, this year. Now, if he proves me wrong, good for him and you, I like him as a player and guy, and had him past two years.
See, but the thing is... Seven receiving TDs is pretty good for a 4th/5th Round pick, which is where he has been going.

Also, I'm not going to say that schedule is completely meaningless, but I think it is overrated in the NFL. It is difficult to forecast which teams will be the strongest and which teams will be the weakest from season to season.

Going into last season, most people would have said that Bowe would feast on a team like Cleveland and struggle with an improved Houston squad.

He ended up with 4 catches for 45 yards against the Browns and 108 yards and two TDs against the Texans.

Yes, for receivers, schedules do matter... But, not every 'good defense' is going to hold top notch receivers in check... The teams with lockdown corners, yes. But, not every good defense.

Pittsburgh can be very susceptible to teams with a top flight receiver (see what TO did to them last year as an example). Same with Chicago and Green Bay... Good defenses, but they don't have a Revis that is going to shut down Dwayne Bowe.

Bottom line: I don't think anyone is expecting him to replicate what he did last year in 2011. However, he doesn't need to in order to be a solid fourth round draft pick.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #42
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
12 Team PPR League - Feel pretty good about it..

QB - Matt Ryan
WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Santonio Holmes
WR - Julio Jones
RB - Arian Foster
RB - Matt Forte
FLEX (WR/RB/TE) - Lagarette Blount
TE - Kellen Winslow

Bench:
Danny Woodhead
Greg Little
Brandon Jacobs
Rob Gronkowski
Jerome Harrison

Gonna need some work but not bad.

You are loaded at RB, obviously. Foster/Forte/Blount/Woodhead/Jacobs is a nice, deep running corps (you will cut Jerome by mid-season).

The WRs are big on upside but also a little risky. Santonio is a beast, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether Plax's addition is going to help or hurt him.

Julio Jones is a big question mark... He has the skills to be ridiculous and he is on an already offensively explosive team, but he is also very prone to injury. I love the Greg Little pickup.

Gronkowski is going to end up being your starting TE. Guy is in for a monster year.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #43
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Who thinks Ben Tate makes noise this year? Was the heir apparent in Houston last year then tore his knee in preseason or whatever. Looked awesome last night. I'm not talking about him unseating Foster or anything but he gets 150ish touches he's a dangerous felx.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #44
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Who thinks Ben Tate makes noise this year? Was the heir apparent in Houston last year then tore his knee in preseason or whatever. Looked awesome last night. I'm not talking about him unseating Foster or anything but he gets 150ish touches he's a dangerous felx.
Shhh.

(I have him on my bench in the league I posted above)

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 08-21-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #45
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Not high on tate but considering his adp its worth a gamble. Hes third on the depth chart and has the leagues leading rusher in a contract year in front of him. He will not flirt with 150 carries thats crazy talk.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: