Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Russell Westbrook or Deron Williams, who would you take first?

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    I think his stock dropping has nothing to do with ability. More so his mentality. Can he take a backseat to Durant? Can he become more of a true point guard than a scorer? Does he have it in him to be for the team and not himself?

When you have a subpar performance on the biggest stage in the game, you are certainly going to get criticism and people are going to question what you are made of.
    No Westbrooks mentality is fine its the same mentality Jordan and Kobe have but he's just not that skilled and he is still learning to play the pg position. Why should Westbrook take a back seat to Durant when he gets shut down this is what was happening in the Dallas and Memphis series. Durant couldn't get open so Westbrook was forced to shoot most of the time it was late in the shot clock because he waited so long for Durant to get open.

Banned

Deron Williams, I miss you already.

I usually hit open layups twintowers's Avatar

Better question would be Deron Williams or Chris Paul....

ISH, you forgot to log in to a troll account before posting this joke.

The clear choice is D-Will, but it seemed fun to discuss the pros/cons of both players anyway.

Westbrook, because D-Will beat me up when I was a kid and I hate him

Quote Originally Posted by Ikill
    No Westbrooks mentality is fine its the same mentality Jordan and Kobe have but he's just not that skilled and he is still learning to play the pg position. Why should Westbrook take a back seat to Durant when he gets shut down this is what was happening in the Dallas and Memphis series. Durant couldn't get open so Westbrook was forced to shoot most of the time it was late in the shot clock because he waited so long for Durant to get open.
    I think his mentality is way off is he has the same mentality of Kobe or Jordan when he clearly is not of their level. Players who think that they are better than they are need to adjust their mentality.

My point is, Westbrook is option 2. And if he is not getting the shots, he needs to be able to impact the game in other ways.

Deron is better at everything except maybe turning the ball over

Quote Originally Posted by Ikill

im not sure that you can learn the instincts to be a good pg. you certainly cant just learn to have better court vision. many of the things westbrook are missing arent things that can be learned, at least not easily.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    im not sure that you can learn the instincts to be a good pg. you certainly cant just learn to have better court vision. many of the things westbrook are missing arent things that can be learned, at least not easily.
    It def. is not easy, but it is possible. One player who comes to mind is Chauncey Billups. While he never became a true pg like Chris Paul or DWill, he certainly was able to become a floor general and leader at the pg position. He was and always will have a scorers mentality, but he was able to adapt his game. But its not easy and many players never evolve their games.

Quote Originally Posted by ballerz
    Deron is better at everything except maybe turning the ball over
    thats true. hes also better at forcing hall of fame coaches to retire and then getting traded to basketball siberia

westbrook absolutely abused deron williams last year, oh but wait that doesn't count. what counts is that he averaged 11 assists on a team going nowhere fast. good luck in siberia deron williams

It def. is not easy, but it is possible. One player who comes to mind is Chauncey Billups. While he never became a true pg like Chris Paul or DWill, he certainly was able to become a floor general and leader at the pg position. He was and always will have a scorers mentality, but he was able to adapt his game. But its not easy and many players never evolve their games.

i was just think that billups is one example, but there arent many. there definitely arent any combo guards like westbrook, who become elite floor generals. all the top pure point guards come into the league as guys who knew how to run a team.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    thats true. hes also better at forcing hall of fame coaches to retire and then getting traded to basketball siberia

westbrook absolutely abused deron williams last year, oh but wait that doesn't count. what counts is that he averaged 11 assists on a team going nowhere fast. good luck in siberia deron williams

williams proved for many years in utah that he puts up worthwhile stats.

I think his mentality is way off is he has the same mentality of Kobe or Jordan when he clearly is not of their level. Players who think that they are better than they are need to adjust their mentality.

My point is, Westbrook is option 2. And if he is not getting the shots, he needs to be able to impact the game in other ways.
    We didnt know Kobe was on that level until like at least 2000. Four years in the league. Westbrook is going to be a great player. I can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    williams proved for many years in utah that he puts up worthwhile stats.
    worthwhile stats? im sorry but his teams have been getting worse every year. for someone that supposedly has such an impact on his team, why is your team topping out in your 2nd year in the nba? yeah the lakers were always in their way, but its not like he put up great performances against them, when all good PGs have historically torn up the lakers. oh but he averages 11 assists, that makes up for it.