Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Re: Paul Pierce off the bench

Paul Pierce off the bench is probably just an idea for the future. A possibility. And you can come off the bench and still play 30+ minutes, like Manu Ginobili used to for the Spurs, and still be the team's 2nd or 3rd best player
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
FadeAwayJ13
I rep my cat, Nurple.

FadeAwayJ13 has not been impressing people

Pierce has too much history and pride to ever come off the bench for the Celtics. His minutes may be reduced as he gets older, but he'll always be a starter. This is a guy who's jersey may very well be retired at the end of his career.
FadeAwayJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is considered somewhat coolfatboy11 is considered somewhat coolfatboy11 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeAwayJ13
Pierce has too much history and pride to ever come off the bench for the Celtics. His minutes may be reduced as he gets older, but he'll always be a starter. This is a guy who's jersey may very well be retired at the end of his career.

I think we can subtract the "may very well" out of that. He's a Celtic great. This is why I don't see them ever even asking him to come off the bench.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando
Where in the link does it confirm pierce coming off the bench?

Anyway, I could see this working if pierce comes in with the second team and finishes the half. Green goes out for a break and come back in as power forward. Likewise, Pierce comes in late in the 3rd quarter and finishes the game. Green finishes at power forward.

KG starts but shifts to center to finish the half and also shifts to center to finish the game. That means Jermaine O'Neil starts but only plays in the first quarter and the third quarter.

Pierce would be an instant candidate for 6th man of the year.
terrible. Good team defense starts and ends with the 5. You have no one on the squad who can provide that paint protection (not KG, hes a help defender at his best and easy to push around/through). That was the biggest issue with the perk trade. Not that hes the best center in the league or even close, but he was the backline of that defense and they had no one to fill that gap once he was gone. Look at how MIA beat them, by driving the paint and having no intimidating presence there.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #20
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Championship window is closed with this group. Sad, but that's reality. Time to look forward.

Pierce off the bench is.............interesting. Logic would suggest that Ray Allen off the bench makes more sense..........but perhaps Ainge has plans for Allen's expiring contract? Hmmmm.

Pierce would be quite a weapon off the bench........playing 25-30 mpg would save his legs for the post season.

To maximize Green's value, he may have to start. And by all means they should aim to keep him. West and Krstic too. But Glen Davis needs to be shipped off to the low B-Ball IQ farm that took in Tony Allen.

Sorry if I rambled a bit...
as usual, juanny sic is the most reasonable celt fan on the site (and there are a surprising # of them). This team is done as a championship team.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #21
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Charles Barkley came off the bench late in his career. I can see this working out.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
Kiddlovesnets
7-time NBA All-Star

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

I am looking forward to the day on which Kobe is benched or traded.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
fatboy11

fatboy11 is considered somewhat coolfatboy11 is considered somewhat coolfatboy11 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Charles Barkley came off the bench late in his career. I can see this working out.

It could work out, but why is it needed? We're talking about a guy who is putting up 19 points, over 5 rebounds, and 3 assists a game while shooting almost 50% from the field, 37% from 3, and 86% from the line. Paul Pierce is a legit NBA starter and the leader of that Celtic squad. If anyone should be going to the bench, it should be Ray Allen. I don't see the logic in putting your #1 option on the bench as a 6th man. Ray Allen has had his lowest production output of his career (since he was a rookie) the last two seasons.

And Barkley only came off the bench for one season later on his career (though he still started 60% of games played that season). The Rockets finished 41-41 that season (bounced in the 1st round).
Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #24
ronniec
Great young streetballer

ronniec has not been impressing people

Unless there is a major cut on his minutes, it is meanlingless if he is a starter or coming off the bench by playing 30 - 35 minutes a game.

One Perkins trade already made a lot of damage on the team spirit and morale, don't see they will ship out the Big 3 and Rondo. These guys are just like brothers right now.
ronniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #25
CelticBaller
Maimi Heat

CelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation hereCelticBaller has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknowns8

... they'll figure out somethin

the only thing i'm basing this shout on is CP3 and LBJ having the same manager and them being good mates off court combined with miami needing an upgrade at the PG position

its a far fetched idea, would be difficult to make happen but it's plausible with some tricky juggling of finances/salaries/endorsements which pat riley (or his lawyers/accountants) seems quite adept at
stop talking out of your ass, heat can't hardly get a scrub signing
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #26
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniec
Unless there is a major cut on his minutes, it is meanlingless if he is a starter or coming off the bench by playing 30 - 35 minutes a game.

One Perkins trade already made a lot of damage on the team spirit and morale, don't see they will ship out the Big 3 and Rondo. These guys are just like brothers right now.

I see people say stuff like this all the time, but I don't get why. For starters, some guys play better off the bench and some can't handle being reserves. Just because they play the same per game minutes doesn't mean they'll be as effective. Pierce as started for his entire career, the captain of the Celtics, and their top scoring option. I makes absolutely no sense to me to stick him on the bench. Sure, play him less minutes if you have to to keep his legs fresh for the playoffs. Sure, Jeff Green may not be the best coming off the bench. Start Green at the 3 and Pierce at the 2. Or start Green at the 4 and Garnett at center.

It absolutely is not meaningless in this situation. "Playing with fire" is an understatement here.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #27
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

The only reason I would pull Pierce to the bench is if you let him come in chucking, or playing point forward. Give him the ball and let him take over when he comes in.

THe guy went from being #1 option, shoot first, shoot second, into a legit threat to pass or score on every possession, and now you want him to hit the bench? He has done everything you asked of him.

This isn't Jamal Crawford or JET of JR Swish, who only do one thing; shoot/chuck. Or given the pg duties like Manu. He is the focal point of the offense
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #28
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation hereUtahJazzFan88 has an incredible reputation here

People are really delusional, he's still going to get the same minutes he's been getting, maybe a little bit less due to age, but I don't think it would be a terrible thing to have Jeff Green start, could help his confidence and make a bigger impact. Green is overrated though IMO.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
Duranthebest
Truth=10 time all-star

Duranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsDuranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsDuranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsDuranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsDuranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLharvard
Ainge is losing it .. Pierce was pretty solid in the playoffs i thought. Spud is on suicide watch.

fellow C's fans.. whats your view? I think we ship green off .. forget the future .. championship window is still open.. I'd like a solid back up for Ray, and of course dwight.. post some trade ideas.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/

You need to read Ainge's latest comments. Paul Pierce isn't coming off the bench for the likes of Jeff Green and Ray Allen.

Its funny how you know who spudjjay is with that join date.
Duranthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #30
Duranthebest
Truth=10 time all-star

Duranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsDuranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsDuranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsDuranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsDuranthebest has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Championship window is closed with this group. Sad, but that's reality. Time to look forward.

Pierce off the bench is.............interesting. Logic would suggest that Ray Allen off the bench makes more sense..........but perhaps Ainge has plans for Allen's expiring contract? Hmmmm.

Pierce would be quite a weapon off the bench........playing 25-30 mpg would save his legs for the post season.

To maximize Green's value, he may have to start. And by all means they should aim to keep him. West and Krstic too. But Glen Davis needs to be shipped off to the low B-Ball IQ farm that took in Tony Allen.

Sorry if I rambled a bit...

How do the Celtics expect to win games with their best player and scorer playing 25-30minutes? I know I've said this before, but you're an idiot.

This Celtics team struggle to score as it is, imagine how much points we'd score per game with Pierce coming off the bench getting reduced minutes.
Duranthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: