Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #31
steve

Default Re: A Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Yeah, I'm gonna have to hit up some crib notes. I watched, but just couldn't get into it. It was definitely a bit overwhelming for the uninatiated. It opened with ritual dismemberment, and included and midget getting a hummer, so it's probably worth a further look.

I was a little distracted at the time though waiting for The Killing to start up.
From what I've read, it only gets better over the next several episodes (the first six episodes are already in the can and have been given to critics).

I've read the first book (which this season is based on), and watching the first episode definitely raised my interest level more than the book. It gets easier to recognize the characters as the story progresses, it's just a lot to take in on the first go round.

It'll be interesting to see how they frame the episodes going further though. The book is written from the point of view of specific characters (there's a POV character for each chapter), but obviously that can't really be done on TV, so you'll end up having characters like Robb Stark take on even greater importance.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #32
rezznor
Nosetradamus

renewed, so we know that we will at least get through 2 books

Quote:
Game of Thrones Renewed for a Second Season
Winter is coming again! HBO already made the decision to renew Game of Thrones for a second season, after the first episode garnered an estimated 4.2 million gross viewers on premiere night.

(I'm guessing the "gross" thing refers not to the personal hygiene of the viewers, but to the fact that HBO showed the episode several times the first night, and they're adding up all the showings.)

Of course, it'll be interesting to see how much the viewership goes down for the second and third episodes a lot of people were probably curious about the show and checked it out, but may or may not come back for more insane violence and sprawling backstory.

Meanwhile, Game of Thrones is so popular, fansite Westeros has gone down due to increased traffic. [L.A. Times]
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #33
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

Just downloaded and saw the first episode and I'm already hooked. Loved the first few minutes and the overall impending doom that the show had throughout.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #34
Harion
Banned

i advise everyone to read the books. the show can't really compare, and you'd be missing A LOT if you just watch the show. LOTR? lol. the series easily kicks Tolkien's butt.
Harion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #35
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

I enjoyed the first ep. That one dude whoring his sister out kinda looks like Michael Cera
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #36
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

So nothing on this since all the excitement that first week.

I did watch that first episode a little more focusedly a second time, just before the second time.

First, it's not that hard to get into, I just wasn't really paying attention when I watched the pilot that first time.

Second, it's awesome. I love the massive scope. I love the political intrigue. I love the variation between cultures. And Winter hasn't even come yet.

Between this and The Killing, Sunday night TV is back to being a great way to wind down the weekend.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #37
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

Finished watching the second episode last night, and am about to download the third today. I've told all my friends about this show and how damn good it is.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #38
kingmob
Great young streetballer

Third episode was the worst of the bunch so far.
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #39
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

I was just reading Bill Simmons' NBA playoff column with referernces to quotes from The Wire, at least one of which was from Councilman Tommy Carcetti, who when I read it and thought of him, realized that he's Peter Baelish, the squirmy whorehouse owner who clearly has some history and feelings for Ned Stark's wife Catelyn.

I never would have placed it had it not been for reading that line, thinking of Carcetti, and envisioning that same grimy smirk that he made as Baelish, only this time with a goatee, when explaining how he for once knew something the other guy didn't.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #40
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Im a big fan of the book series, read them like 5 times already, and I gotta admit the series look fantastic. I suggest everyone here to give it a try, you wont regret it.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #41
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Great show. Easily the number show I look forward to on TV.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #42
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I was just reading Bill Simmons' NBA playoff column with referernces to quotes from The Wire, at least one of which was from Councilman Tommy Carcetti, who when I read it and thought of him, realized that he's Peter Baelish, the squirmy whorehouse owner who clearly has some history and feelings for Ned Stark's wife Catelyn.

I never would have placed it had it not been for reading that line, thinking of Carcetti, and envisioning that same grimy smirk that he made as Baelish, only this time with a goatee, when explaining how he for once knew something the other guy didn't.
Im assuming you havent read the novels.. so watch out for spoilers..

The show is progressing identically to how the novel does, so all the novel readers know of the plot twists, future events, and ending. Also future seasons' spoilers, seeing as how Season Two has already been greenlit..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #43
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Im assuming you havent read the novels.. so watch out for spoilers..

The show is progressing identically to how the novel does, so all the novel readers know of the plot twists, future events, and ending. Also future seasons' spoilers, seeing as how Season Two has already been greenlit..
i think we can reveal baelish and catherine's history without it being a spoiler. let me know thorpe if you want their history.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #44
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Hey, what's been going on in the show so far? How is it? Where are they at?

I've read all the books but haven't had time to watch the series yet.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #45
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
Hey, what's been going on in the show so far? How is it? Where are they at?

I've read all the books but haven't had time to watch the series yet.

they are on the third episode. Ned just arrived at king's landing, Catherine has shown Ned the dagger and is now headed north, Tyrion has visited the wall and is headed south, Ayra is learning the water dance, and daenyrious(sp?) is pregnant.

things should really be picking up next episode when tyrion and cat meet.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: