Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 04-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #16
8BeastlyXOIAD
3-time NBA All-Star

8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation8BeastlyXOIAD has a terrific reputation
Default Re: 2011 NBA Playoffs Round 1: Spurs vs Grizzlies

If Rudy Gay is playing ..............

Memphis is winning in 6 or 7 games
8BeastlyXOIAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
ATL_Bball_King
Decent playground baller

ATL_Bball_King has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BeastlyXOIAD
If Rudy Gay is playing ..............

Memphis is winning in 6 or 7 games

He had surgery...And done for the season...

But if he was playing...This would be a toss up... But
ATL_Bball_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Gotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this board

From my thread:

Even though they split the season series at 2-2, I doubt the Spurs will allow the Grizzlies to steal more than 1. Despite Ginobili's hyper-extended right elbow, (since he's left handed) I see the Spurs ratcheting up another notch in the money season as they play their main guys longer minutes. Grizzlies are big and long, with Z-Bo pounding the offensive glass & Gasol the hairier setting picks and hitting that elbow j, will make things tough for Duncan inside, but he's rounding in form and has fresh legs due to Coach Pop's strict rotations. The Grizz have been slumping lately, and are neophytes at this level. Spurs in 5
Gotterdammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

@STEIN_LINE_HQ Spurs just announced @manuginobili doubtful for Sunday's Game 1 with sprained right elbow
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #20
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy
@STEIN_LINE_HQ Spurs just announced @manuginobili doubtful for Sunday's Game 1 with sprained right elbow

Uh Oh. Without a healthy Manu, this series is dangerous for the Spurs.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #21
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

HorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputation

Slightest of advantages for Spurs with Manu. Without Manu they lose.
HorryIsMyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #22
Rnbizzle
Banned

Rnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If the Spurs lose the first game it's over for them.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
madmax
Decent college freshman

madmax is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Spurs are not gonna lose to inexperienced Grizzlies team all of a sudden
SA in 5
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax
Spurs are not gonna lose to inexperienced Grizzlies team all of a sudden
SA in 5
"All of a sudden"

What are you talking about? Grizz blew out the Spurs twice this season, and had a very, very close loss to them.

Without Manu, I'd say the Spurs are at a disadvantage.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Spurs in 6 even if Manu's gone for the first game. Playoffs are a different animal, and I can't see Popovich not coming up with a gameplan to put this inferior team away.
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Gotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this board

We got a live one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
Without Manu, I'd say the Spurs are at a disadvantage.

Nah, Manu Ginobili was not the Spurs' lone advantage over the Grizzlies. He isn't worth 20 games over the lowly 8th seeded Grizz.

Duncan is a shadow of his former GOATPF self, but he will still take advantage of Z-Bo's pretend defense, and hang fouls on Gasol the Younger. Gasol won't be able to take advantage of the undersized Blair.

Tony Parker must be denied entry into the paint, but the Grizz don't have anyone to deter him, and Gasol is their only shot-blocker. Fergheddabout it.

R-Jeff and George Hill will step up in Ginobili's absence during game 1.

Moreover, speaking about the team in general, you must answer these two things:
  • Spurs are #1 in the league in threes (39.8% at 21 per game) and Grizzlies are weak at defending the 3point line (opponents hit 36.9%) which is almost the worst in the league.
  • Two, the Spurs get a lot of their offense w/ pick & rolls - Parker/Hill/Ginobili drive & kick out to snipers at the 3 point line. Allen & Battier need to step up here. Moreover, Memphis has been poor at defending the pick & roll, plus they do not close out on the open spot up shooters well.

Bottom line: Spurs do on offense what Grizzlies don't do well defending. And I have not mentioned the fact that without Gay, Grizz don't have enough scoring to make up for this deficit.
Gotterdammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #27
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people

Grizz in 6

Guts, Grit and Grind
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
CarloJ63
Can barely lace up my sneakers

CarloJ63 has an OK reputation so far

Grizzlies are the more talented team, but the Spurs have serious playoff experience in both players and coaching, going for them. Every game should be hard fought and close, which is where the Spurs experience will benefit them the most.

Spurs in 6......but that can change for a number of reasons:

- Do the Grizzlies panic if they lose games 1 & 2, and tighten up at home? Remember, they have never won a playoff game.
- If the Grizzlies win game 1, it's a whole new ballgame.
CarloJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #29
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Spurs in 5-6 even if Manu doesn't play a single game in the series.

What a lot of the trolls who are posting here are forgetting is that both of the Grizzlies' wins against the Spurs came with the Spurs minus Tony Parker once, and once minus Tim Duncan. Manu is the best overall player on the team, but the Spurs can actually function without him. They cannot function normally with Timmy and Tony. Tony is the best ball handler, passer, and scorer. Timmy is the best post defender and post scorer, and he is the best defensive force on the team. Manu is essentially an added piece to put them over the top against great teams. Spurs can beat the Grizzlies minus Rudy Gay easily without Manu.

Spurs win in a 5-6 game series, depending on if/when Manu comes back for the series and/or if the Grizzlies take game 1 since Manu isn't playing. Spurs won't lose to that team unless Timmy or Tony misses games. The Spurs can easily beat the Grizzlies in Memphis, their home court is of no concern since they don't even have Gay. That said, Spurs won't beat the Thunder/Nuggets or Lakers/Mavs without Manu. But the Grizzlies? Please. They're not on the same level as the top 5 teams. Wishful thinking, haters.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #30
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've been waiting for the Grizz to make the PO's for 5 years now! I've had to watch a lot of shit basketball from some poor, poor teams. Finally, we've got a team that not only has made it to the PO's, but a team that looks like it could, potentially, push it to 7 games (that's a big ask though)

Now, ofcourse I'm gonna be rooting for my team, I want my team to go all the way, I want them to win, I want them to be the best. But, we're up against one of the best teams in the league.

I honestly think that the Grizz can push it to 6 games. Duncan (an absolutel favourite of mine) is a shell of his former self...obviously he coasts the season and steps it up post-season, but c'mon the dude is getting old and falling off track. The Spurs are no longer the Big 3, they're more like the Big 2 and a Half! And with Gino injured, that's just even more of an advantage to the Grizz, even with out Rudy!

Sure, the Grizz lack experience, but who gives a shit about experience in the first round. Experience comes into play later on when shit really matters. The first round is all about who wants it more and who's willing to go out there and throw a massive '**** you!' into the air. Which the Grizz are more than capable of doing. The Spurs can't do that, they've never been able to do that.

Being a Grizz fan, I'd say the Grizz in 7. However, being logical and all that shit, I'll say that the Spurs win in 6 and the Grizz gain some valuable experience and come back stronger next year.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: