Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Default Re: 2011-12 Jazz could play big-man musical chairs

Even Tim Duncan and Richard Jefferson told Big Al they were impressed by the Millsap-Favors-Jefferson combo when the Jazz recently played the Spurs.

"I think it'd be a weapon for us to get big as a group of guys with different guys playing different positions," said Corbin, adding that it's a way to fight height when you don't have a dominant 7-foot-2 center patrolling the paint.

As for Millsap, Corbin admitted his usual starting power forward occasionally struggled to guard players in the corner — he was used to staying inside, after all. But Millsap made strides in defending the perimeter by closing out on guys and not allowing them to blow by him. He's also done a decent job on transition defense.

"He's getting better at it," Corbin said. "And I feel very comfortable with him playing the 3 spot now
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 AM   #17
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

I would be very surprised if (Ante Tomic) ended up playing in the NBA. And judging by what his agent told me, so would he. He could probably play in the NBA and be a decent backup, because he can really score, but he's not very tough and will struggle with everything that has to do with defense and rebounding. I think he's probably better suited physically and mentally for Europe and he'll be paid more over there anyway.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Brian T. Smith: Jazz don't plan to see Tomic in Europe. Asked for update about Tomic, Corbin said he wasn't sure how he figured into Utah's plans.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #19
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

O’Connor said Utah is preparing for the draft with idea that veteran center Mehmet Okur might not return to action. “What we’re planning on with Memo is to have him back and have him healthy,” O’Connor said. “How long it takes him to get back and into the flow of things, I don’t know. But you prepare for the worst, and you hope for the best.” Okur is making progress during his rehabilitation and is expected to be in Salt Lake City by mid-June.

Quote:
… Corbin said he was not aware of any plans to add center Ante Tomic to the roster. The 24-year-old Croatian was selected by the Jazz with No. 44 overall pick during the second round of the 2008 draft. “He does have potential; that’s why we drafted the kid,” Corbin said. “I don’t know where we are with the process of him coming over or staying over there. To be honest with you, I haven’t had a lot of discussion about it. It’s kind of premature.”

It's premature? Wouldn't it be nice to know before your biggest draft in years?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #20
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Brian T. Smith: Jazz's Corbin confirmed that Jefferson's put in serious work since offseason. Doing everything he can to improve. Twitter
Old 06-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #21
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Corbin on Evans adding muscle weight: The offseason is staring to show now. He's a pretty serious kid about getting better.

Jefferson not just talking but proving it, and working to make himself a better defender:
He is working towards it, to get stronger, to get faster, to get more athletic if he can. He's doing everything he can right now to help the process speed up a little bit.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #22
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Fenerbahce Ulker president Aziz Yildirim wants to see Andrei Kirilenko on the team next season and has started working on it. Ajansspor.com
Old 06-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #23
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Utah talked about moving forward Paul Millsap on draft night as part of a plan to open the position for Derrick Favors, the ex-Net.
Quote:
Who knows, maybe Favors can earn his playing time. New York Daily News

Be easier for him to earn playing time if they trade their best player.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #24
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Andrei Kirilenko offered himself to Real Madrid last week to become the forward of the team. The Russian, who wants to return to Europe, asked for a contract worth 4 million euros ($5.8 million) per season. The club will not pay that much this season. Marca.com
Old 07-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #25
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Unlike the '99 lockout, NBA players are examining other ways to get on the court. Former teammate Deron Williams, of the New Jersey Nets, announced that he's going to take his talents to Turkey. "It's different, man, it's an option. I think it's an option that a lot of players are going to do or going to try to do." said Millsap. "With me, hopefully, if it sounds good, I might look into it. That's definitely an option. Hopefully, it will work out for him (Williams)." KSL.com

Williams is the only NBA player under contract who has committed to playing overseas during the lockout. Reports say that he'd return to the NBA once the lockout is over. With the NBA superstar committing early to play overseas, other players are sure to follow. "I'm going to look into it." said Millsap, "I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Either way, I'm going to be happy doing it. Overseas is something different. It's a different area out there. It would be different for me." KSL.com

Even if the lockout ends, there's no guarantees that Millsap will still be with the Jazz. "In the NBA, you never can tell. You never know. Every week I heard my name in trade rumors. You never know how that is going to go. I love Utah, it's the team that drafted me and it's a perfect fit. So, hopefully, I can help that team out." KSL.com
Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #26
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Center Kyrylo Fesenko is considering offers to play overseas next season. A move is not imminent, though, and Fesenko has received interest from European teams in the past.

It was reported Monday that Spanish club Baskonia is pursuing Fesenko.

The 7-foot-1, 280-pound Fesenko averaged 2 points, 2 rebounds and 8.6 minutes last season in 53 games for the Jazz. He will become an unrestricted free agent once the NBA lockout ends and players are allowed to sign with new teams.

Fesenko, 24, is expected to play for a Mike Fratello-coached Ukraine team in the 2011 EuroBasket tournament, which is scheduled Aug. 31-Sept. 18 in Lithuaina.

Fesenko has fully recovered from a right thumb fracture that prematurely ended his 2010-11 season, forcing him to miss Utah's final five games.

Fesenko turned down an opportunity last season to sign a restricted free agent offer sheet with Houston, instead opting to re-sign with the Jazz. He entered camp slimmed down and highly motivated, but never fulfilled his preseason promise. Fesenko scored a season-high 11 points on 5-of-8 shooting and grabbed seven rebounds Feb. 7 during a come-from-behind road victory against Sacramento. But he only recorded double digits in minutes four times during the next 29 games.

Fesenko expressed interest during April about re-signing with the Jazz next season. But he also acknowledged that the 2010-11 campaign might have been his last with the only franchise that he has played for since entering the NBA in 2007.

Fesenko is expected to receive interest from several NBA teams once free agency starts. He is a young, affordable reserve big man who has yet to reach his ceiling, and would likely benefit from a change of scenery.

It is unlikely that Utah resigns Fesenko unless the Jazz free up space in a crowded frontline. Al Jefferson, Enes Kanter and Mehmet Okur are set to compete for minutes at center, while Paul Millsap, Derrick Favors and Jeremy Evans control the depth chart at power forward.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #27
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Caja Laboral would have ruled out signing Fesenko, NBA free agent who last played with the Utah Jazz. El Correo
Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #28
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Dnipro announced via official website that the team is in talks with Kyrylo Fesenko for the coming season and an agreement may be reached soon. The Ukrainian big man spent the last four years in NBA with Utah Jazz and is now free agent. Sportando
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #29
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Center Kyrylo Fesenko is no longer under contract with the Utah Jazz, but the Ukrainian might have a new team soon.

The 7-foot-1 big man is reportedly close to signing a deal to play on a team in his native land. According to the club's website, Ukrainian club Dnipro and Fesenko are working out a contract for the center to return home to play professionally.

Terms of the potential deal were not announced.
The 24-year-old Fesenko, who's from Ukrainian city Dnepropetrovsk, has spent the past four seasons in Utah where he averaged 2.3 points and 2.0 rebounds for the Jazz.

Though he endeared fans with his funny antics, Fesenko failed to find a consistent role with the team despite his physical presence. He shot 49.8 percent from the field but just 39.8 percent from the free-throw line in 132 NBA games with Utah.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #30
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Andrei Kirilenko has talked about playing in Russia, his native country, or for teams in Europe.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: